Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fair rate for grinds?

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,428 ✭✭✭Powerhouse

Do you pay PRSI, USC as well as PAYE on this ?

It's ironic that you would ask this question of someone presumably because they state that they charge a flat fee irrespective of the number of students. Logically it is more likely that the 'two for the price of one' people who have the luxury of offering a 'fair price', as opposed to considering the actual economic cost of offering the grind, are the ones operating in the black economy as we'll remember from the example of cut-price builders and the rest.

Maybe you should similarly challenge those who can offer lower prices and discounts? Or is it that the legendary Irish regard for the 'cute hoor' hasn't really gone away.

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭neutralvu

How much would ye charge for a college one to one grind?

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭neutralvu

Lets say from a qualified (in their respected field) tutor to a college student?

• Registered Users Posts: 707 ✭✭✭jeepers101

neutralvu wrote: »
    How much would ye charge for a college one to one grind?

I think its pretty obvious from previous replies that it very much depends on what the person giving grinds is willing to charge and what the person receiving the grind is prepared to pay.

The prices wouldn't be dissimilar from those already posted.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,621 ✭✭✭TheBody

neutralvu wrote: »
    Lets say from a qualified (in their respected field) tutor to a college student?

€30 ish per hour.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 766 ✭✭✭mkdon05

gaeilgebeo wrote: »
    All of the above, why?

How are you paying paye on income that is not earned through the paye system??

• Registered Users Posts: 909 ✭✭✭gaeilgebeo

mkdon05 wrote: »
    How are you paying paye on income that is not earned through the paye system??

I am not up to speed on the tax system but when I was giving grinds (which I no longer do), I was paying all taxes required by the revenue.
    Does that answer your question?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,653 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

gaeilgebeo wrote: »
    I am not up to speed on the tax system but when I was giving grinds (which I no longer do), I was paying all taxes required by the revenue.
    Does that answer your question?
    I haven't given grinds in 2 years but I am fairly sure it is a form 11 you fill in. I remember it was a bloody long for but simple to fill in, once you filled in your expenses (keep the receipts somewhere should revenue ever decide to check), the tax was not that bad. I just filed it and they took it out with my P21 at the end of the year. I rarely put all my tax credits on at the time so from a money in my pocket view there was no difference as both rent and health expenses came close to balancing it out after deductibles were made.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,281 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

Form 12 is shorter.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,653 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Geuze wrote: »
    Form 12 is shorter.

It even looks more like the correct form to fill in if your main job is PAYE based, they never said anything to me, I just sent it in and my details were updated a few weeks later.

• Advertisement
Advertisement