Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Samsung SMART TV - how do I get BBC1HD and Saorview HD and 7day EPG for both?

Options
  • 24-01-2014 1:19am
    Registered Users Posts: 19

Can I get both FreeSat HD and Saorview HD on Samsung "SMART" TV
    Hi all,
    This one has been doing my head in the past 2 days since getting a new Samsung SMART TV – F6740. It has both Sat and DTT tuners built in but during setup you must choose which country you are in.
    Basically I want to have all of
    • RTE1/2 HD on the aeriel
    • BBC 1/2 HD on the satellite
    • 7 day EPG on both satellite and Saorview
    It seems after hours of searching and experimenting that at the end of it all with this TV you basically have two options
    1. Choose UK and enter postcode to get HD Freesat with 7day EPG and standard definition SaorView with 7 day EPG
    OR
    2. Choose Ireland as Country to get Satellite with only Now/Next functionality and no BBC HD channels and HD Saorview with 7 day EPG
    Am I wrong??? Please say yes!
    Is it possible to get 7 day EPG functionality on Freesat and 7 day EPG HD Saorview at the same time? How?!

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭sawdoubters

you might need sat/Saorview box

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ShHyBwW4wLM

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭Irish Kev

Set up in Freesat mode

When channels are up and running, change to Aeriel and do a scan

• Registered Users Posts: 15,500 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

shug02 wrote: »
    It seems after hours of searching and experimenting that at the end of it all with this TV you basically have two options
    1. Choose UK and enter postcode to get HD Freesat with 7day EPG and standard definition SaorView with 7 day EPG
    OR
    2. Choose Ireland as Country to get Satellite with only Now/Next functionality and no BBC HD channels and HD Saorview with 7 day EPG
    Am I wrong??? Please say yes!
    Is it possible to get 7 day EPG functionality on Freesat and 7 day EPG HD Saorview at the same time? How?!

Saorview channels are a mix of HD and SD, if you can receive both Saorview frequencies (muxes) you'll have the HD and SD channels. The HD channels will not be disabled in the UK setting. In the UK setting the Irish channels will be stored in the 800s and in no particular order.

When you use Ireland as the country and can receive both Saorview frequencies (muxes) they will be stored in the correct order from position 1 upwards.

Freesat and its 7 day epg is only available with the TV set to UK during setup but if Ireland is used during setup Freesat functionality is disabled and channels, both SD and HD, are stored as found and in no particular order with duplicates included. In FTA satellite mode no 7 day guide is available only now and next info for each channel. The HD channels are available in FTA satellite mode provided the frequencies these channels are carried on are in the TVs frequency list, if not these frequencies will have to added manually - http://www.lyngsat.com/Eutelsat-28A-and-Astra-1N-2A-2F.html.

My suggestion would be to use UK as the setup country for Freesat functionality and for the Saorview channels manually move them from the 800s to position 1, 2 etc. in the order that best suits you. You will not get a combined Freesat/Saorview epg or a combined FTA satellite/Saorview epg.

Current Saorview multiplex line-up
    Multiplex 1
    LCN
    |
    Channel
    ||
    249*|SSU|data channel||
    11|no channel name (RTÉ 1 simulcast)|SD|temporary, going in the New Year
    02|RTÉ Two|HD|
    03|TV3|SD|
    04|TG4|SD|
    05|3e|SD|
    06|RTÉ News Now|SD|
    17|no channel name (RTÉ Junior simulcast**)|SD|temporary, going in the New Year
    18|no channel name (RTÉ1 +1 simulcast**)|SD|temporary, going in the New Year
    200|RTÉ Radio 1|Radio|
    201|RTÉ Radio 1 Extra|Radio|
    202|RTÉ 2FM|Radio|
    203|RTÉ Lyric FM|Radio|
    204|RTÉ Raidió na Gaeltachta|Radio|
    205|RTÉ Pulse|Radio|
    206|RTÉ 2XM|Radio
    207*|(not used)||previously RTÉ Choice
    208|RTÉ Gold|Radio|
    209|RTÉ Junior/RTÉ Chill|Radio

Multiplex 2
    LCN
    |
    Channel
    ||
    250*|SSU|data channel|
    01|RTÉ One|HD|
    12*|(no channel name/testcard)|HD|
    13*|(no channel name/testcard)|SD|RTÉ Lyric FM audio
    14*|(no channel name/testcard)|HD|TG4 subtitles and teletext previously
    15*|(no channel name/testcard)|SD|RTÉ Raidió na Gaeltachta audio
    16|(not used)||
    07|RTÉ Junior**|SD|
    08|RTÉ One +1**|SD|
    211-212*|(no radio channel names)|Radio|no audio
    213*|(no radio channel name)|Radio|RTÉ Lyric FM audio
    214*|(no radio channel name)|Radio|RTÉ Raidió na Gaeltachta audio
    215-217*|(no radio channel names)|Radio|no audio
    218-219*|(no radio channel name)|Radio|RTÉ Gold audio
    220*|(no radio channel name)|Radio|no audio

Channel line-up by LCN on a Saorview TV setup with Ireland as the country/region on first install
    LCN
    |
    Channel
    ||
    Mux
    |
    01|RTÉ One|HD|2|
    02|RTÉ Two|HD|1|
    03|TV3|SD|1|
    04|TG4|SD|1|
    05|3e|SD|1|
    06|RTÉ News Now|SD|1|
    07|RTÉ Junior**|SD|2|
    08|RTÉ One +1**|SD|2|
    09-10|(not used)|||
    11|no channel name/programme info (RTÉ 1 simulcast)|SD|1|temporary, going in the New Year
    12*|(no channel name/testcard)|HD|2|
    13*|(no channel name/testcard)|SD|2|RTÉ Lyric FM audio
    14*|(no channel name/testcard)|HD|2|TG4 subtitles and teletext tested previously
    15*|(no channel name/testcard)|SD|2| RTÉ Raidió na Gaeltachta audio
    16|(not used)|||
    17|no channel name/programme info (RTÉjr simulcast**)|SD|1|temporary, going in the New Year
    18|no channel name/programme info (RTÉ1 +1 simulcast**)|SD|1|temporary, going in the New Year
    200|RTÉ Radio 1|Radio|1|
    201|RTÉ Radio 1 Extra|Radio|1|
    202|RTÉ 2FM|Radio|1|
    203|RTÉ Lyric FM|Radio|1|
    204|RTÉ Raidió na Gaeltachta|Radio|1|
    205|RTÉ Pulse|Radio|1|
    206|RTÉ 2XM|Radio|1|
    207*|(no service carried)||1|previously RTÉ Choice
    208|RTÉ Gold|Radio|1|
    209|RTÉ Junior/RTÉ Chill|Radio|1|
    210|(not used)||
    211-212*|(no radio channel names)|Radio|2|no audio
    213*|(no radio channel name)|Radio|2|RTÉ Lyric FM audio
    214*|(no radio channel name)|Radio|2|RTÉ Raidió na Gaeltachta audio
    215-217*|(no radio channel names)|Radio|2|no audio
    218-219*|(no radio channel name)|Radio|2|RTÉ Gold audio
    220*|(no radio channel name)|Radio|2|no audio
    249*|SSU|data channel|1|
    250*|SSU|data channel|2|

* Hidden but can be selected by entering the channel no. via the remote control
    ** RTÉ Junior 0700-1845 approx / RTÉ One +1 1900-0100/0200 approx. Timesharing

• Registered Users Posts: 1,394 ✭✭✭StreetLight

Don't forget, if you set the TV up in UK country mode, the subtitles won't work on Saorview channels. Watty explains why during this thread:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=88217132

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,410 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

I have a Samsung ES7000 which I presume is much the same.

You should set Country=UK

Scan for Freesat. Use postcode SW1 1AA for London or BT1 1AA for NI.

Then scan for aerial.

You then have all the Saorview channels randomly set in the 800s.

Tho change from Freesat or Aerial, press I]CH List[/I the [Red] then select the Aerial service using the arrows and press OK OK OK.

The press SMART button and use arrows to get to B]channels[/B - on the left hand side. Select it. You will get a screen listing the channels. Select each channel (starting with RTE1HD) tick box. Then press [tools] and selct [change channel number]. Move over and type in [1] then ok ok. Number will show against RTE1HD as [1].

Continue this painful process until the channels you want are in the order you want. 1-8 for TVs, radios as you like. Delete any you do not want. [EXIT] and check it is all as you want. I suggest you save this channel list to a USB stick for future use, as it is a pain to do.

You can do much the same for Satellite, putting the stations in the order you want, and delete those you dont. This may be easier for some users as the HD channels on Freesat are all over the place, and all have 3 digits, but EPG is limited.

Good luck with it.

You can record to an external drive, which might be useful, but I have yet to try this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19 shug02

Irish Kev wrote: »
    Set up in Freesat mode

When channels are up and running, change to Aeriel and do a scan

Perfect - thanks Kev!
    Thanks also to Sam and The Cush for the detail on channels and how to reprogramme.

Sorted now. We have 7 day EPG on Saorview and Freesat with HD on both RTE 1 and 2. :):)

Will follow suggestion to save Channel listing to USB.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,410 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

@shrug02
    What post code did you use?

The only issue I have noticed on my Samsung of late is not being able to record satellite and watch aerial at he same time. Used to work:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 238 ✭✭Tom Hanks

Any of you guys ever come across an app for Samsung called livesports.tv?

Tom Hanks wrote: »
    Any of you guys ever come across an app for Samsung called livesports.tv?

No sorry, will Google now

• Advertisement

@shrug02
    What post code did you use?

Used BT1 1AA

The only issue I have noticed on my Samsung of late is not being able to record satellite and watch aerial at he same time. Used to work:confused:

Yep, that's one of the two big annoyances with the Samsung dual tuner TVs it seems.
    The other is not being able to fast forward or rewind videos streamed from hard drives on your own network. Very annoying.

Really a pity that such a great TV (F6470) has such irritating gaps that should be easily solved.
    I'm guessing from other forums it may have something to do with licence terms around (freesat and DNLA) but surely someone has worked out a workaround for both/either at this stage?

if anyone can solve them then please help!!

Sam says above,

"Continue this painful process until the channels you want are in the order you want. 1-8 for TVs, radios as you like. Delete any you do not want. [EXIT] and check it is all as you want. I suggest you save this channel list to a USB stick for future use, as it is a pain to do."

How do I do that on Samsung F6740/F6670. Have gone through the manual and cannot find it.....

Tks

On my (ES7000) I go:

Menu: Channel: Transfer Channel list : Save to USB.

That works for me but your menu might be different, but should be simillar.

Freesat does not allow/need this as you cannot edit the list, you just retune.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,606 ✭✭✭Rick_

If you set up Freesat with a Belfast code, you will get UTV HD but no UTV+1. If you want a viewable / recordable +1 for UTV, enter the postcode M2 4JA and you will have ITV Granada on your TV, with full resolution HD and a +1 service, at least until UTV+1 launches on satellite. :)

Sam says above,

"Continue this painful process until the channels you want are in the order you want. 1-8 for TVs, radios as you like. Delete any you do not want. [EXIT] and check it is all as you want. I suggest you save this channel list to a USB stick for future use, as it is a pain to do."

How do I do that on Samsung F6740/F6670. Have gone through the manual and cannot find it.....

Tks

Turns out that according to Samsung UK customer support it is not possible to save the channel listing or favourites to USB on Samsung F series. See email below.
    This sucks - it's the simple things that let this great TV down (1. this USB issue, 2. not being able to rewind or ffwd streaming video, 3. multiple button presses to change Aerial).

Any solutions?

Hi. I have setup all my Favourite channels _it took a long while!_ and
    would like to backup those lists to a USB stick in case I ever have to
    re-setup.
    How do I do that? I have looked through the F6740 manual and cannot find
    it.
    Email response ID:2120165306
    *Please quote your customer reference number when contacting Samsung*
    Dear Alan,
    Thank you for contacting Samsung online technical support.
    In regards to your issue you cannot save any channel lists onto a USB
    device due to hardware limitations.

Kind regards,
    Online Support Team
    SAMSUNG Customer Support Centre

Turns out that according to Samsung UK customer support it is not possible to save the channel listing or favourites to USB on Samsung F series.

That is a shame.

Also, Freesat should put all the HD channels into the 150s rather than having them all over the place. However, they do not appear to have any plans to do this. Shame again.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 laehyd

Hi there,

Just bought a new Samsung 6670 class TV with built in digital tuner. Im wondering is it possible to get saorview channels and freesat channels on the same epg. Up to now I have had to go to menu and change from satellite to terrestrial to change the epg...there has to be a better way? Hopefully someone can help. Thanks.

Sorry if this is on another thread somewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭kyeev

laehyd wrote: »
    Hi there,

Just bought a new Samsung 6670 class TV with built in digital tuner. Im wondering is it possible to get saorview channels and freesat channels on the same epg. Up to now I have had to go to menu and change from satellite to terrestrial to change the epg...there has to be a better way? Hopefully someone can help. Thanks.

Sorry if this is on another thread somewhere.

I have the same TV.
    No you can't do it.
    Takes 5 button presses to switch going through channel list, change receiver etc.
    When the TV learns your preferences, you can manage the switch in 2 button presses going through smart hub and clicking on your regularly watched channel.
    In my house thats Cbeebies and RTE Junior...

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭Jimbojimbo

I have a Samsung ES7000 which I presume is much the same.

You should set Country=UK

Scan for Freesat. Use postcode SW1 1AA for London or BT1 1AA for NI.

Then scan for aerial.

You then have all the Saorview channels randomly set in the 800s.

Tho change from Freesat or Aerial, press I]CH List[/I the [Red] then select the Aerial service using the arrows and press OK OK OK.

The press SMART button and use arrows to get to B]channels[/B - on the left hand side. Select it. You will get a screen listing the channels. Select each channel (starting with RTE1HD) tick box. Then press [tools] and selct [change channel number]. Move over and type in [1] then ok ok. Number will show against RTE1HD as [1].

Continue this painful process until the channels you want are in the order you want. 1-8 for TVs, radios as you like. Delete any you do not want. [EXIT] and check it is all as you want. I suggest you save this channel list to a USB stick for future use, as it is a pain to do.

You can do much the same for Satellite, putting the stations in the order you want, and delete those you dont. This may be easier for some users as the HD channels on Freesat are all over the place, and all have 3 digits, but EPG is limited.

Good luck with it.

You can record to an external drive, which might be useful, but I have yet to try this.

If the country code is set to UK to enable a proper Freesat EPG, will that prevent the RTE & TV3 player appearing in the apps section?

• Advertisement

Jimbojimbo wrote: »
    If the country code is set to UK to enable a proper Freesat EPG, will that prevent the RTE & TV3 player appearing in the apps section?

No.

Sam Russell

Are you able to record from the aerial while watching freesat or vice versa?

I am convinced when I got my 8000 series I could but after either an update or setting up again I lost this

Thanks
    Kev

I have a h6670, and I can record saorview and then use smart hub to switch to freesat.
    When recording saorview, you can't use the normal "change-aerial" path [channel list, <left>, select aerial] as it is greyed out.

• Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭marcus2000

This still works for me. The only glitch is I cant switch between Satellite and Aerial whilst recording. So if I schedule a recording on RTE, and then switch to satellite before recording begins, it's fine. Basically, the switching button disables for the duration of recording.

Marcus, that's what I was saying - normal route greyed out, but on the h series at least, you can switch using the smart hub...

• Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭marcus2000

kyeev wrote: »
    Marcus, that's what I was saying - normal route greyed out, but on the h series at least, you can switch using the smart hub...

Sorry Kyeev, I hadn't even see your post there. I have the 8 series myself. I never thought to press the smart hub button to switch!!! I'll give it a go. cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 1,431 ✭✭✭mackersdublin

kyeev wrote: »

Can you please tell us how you got a Freesat channel listed on the Smart Hub ticker at the bottom of the screen

My Dad has the Samsung H6700 and only Saorview channels appear

Any info would be appreciated, as he would love the ability to change to Freesat while recording Saorview

• Registered Users Posts: 693 ✭✭✭Dave..M

Can you please tell us how you got a Freesat channel listed on the Smart Hub ticker at the bottom of the screen

My Dad has the Samsung H6700 and only Saorview channels appear

Any info would be appreciated, as he would love the ability to change to Freesat while recording Saorview

You need to have the channel on for a while, maybe leave the TV on that channel for a couple of hours during the day and then hit the smart hub and it will hopefully be there, select as a favorite.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 ceikiv

Jimbojimbo wrote: »
    No.

Hi guys, just got the Samsung 48JU6410 and successfully set up Saorview via aerial and Freesat via UK postcode. RTE player isn't available as an App, however TV3 and TG4 are. No sign of the UK based apps either tho.. bbc player and 5ondemand etc not there (i know they geo locked even if were displayed). Is there any way to get the RTE player on there? can't change country back to Ireland because it wipes the tuned in channels.

Also, the full 7 day EPG isn't populating for Freesat (definitely Freesat not Satellite which I tuned in), just showing the current day up to about midnight. still getting the hang of the setup as only started yesterday but so far i can't see how I might get it to populate fully.

Once all that done next job is the PVR function!

Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,526 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

OK, think we're done with this thread at this stage

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement