Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shannon Airport Thread [Mod Warning in First Post]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭lisasimpson

Have to say the powers to be in Shannon need a kick in the behind. The marketing and promotion of routes this year v poor. V little information of dates when routes resume etc. All I've seen is promotion for a pizza franchise in the airport.I'm in North tipp and yesterday on the local radio station the weather was sponsored by Cork airport and it included weather forecast for the current destinations. This sort of thing helps put destinations in people's minds.

Once this year there was a Shannon airport destination leaflet in the local newspaper. Their social media has been v poor. V disappointing on new routes for 2024

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭LimaRomeo990

Completely agree with you on this. I think the routes team have fallen asleep up there. So much for signing a long term deal with Ryanair. The last new route announced was Dec 2022 and none since. They were in Shannon promoting the winter schedule but I have seen better winter schedules from Shannon with Ryanair.

Summer schedule starts in a few weeks and not one brand new route. Last summer there were 5 new routes so major difference. Delta returning this year is great however it’s the only thing the SNN Group managed to get for this year

• Registered Users Posts: 4,396 ✭✭✭RocketRaccoon

They can't promote something that isn't there. Its a joke that they haven't gotten a single new route.

Surely it's not much of an effort to promote even on social media when the likes of Malta, Porto are resuming. This should have been done in January when people are planning their annual leave etc for the year

Cork constantly promote their current routes aswell. They add stuff to their Instagram stories as well and are very pro active on social media. Shannon should take note and wake up.

• Advertisement

So I messaged them for a laugh on social media about the lack of promotion of routes. Whoever is responsible for their social media actually replied. Seemingly they are still waiting confirmation of routes from aerlingus and Ryanair and will be kicking of summer season in a few wks

It’s very late to get confirmation from them considering the summer schedule starts at the end of March.

Aer Lingus won’t add anything I’d say. CDG will be hyped up as new.Ryanair possibly will considering there’s gaps in the schedule, The lack of new routes the past year doesn’t fill me with much hope.

Thought the same. How's a new route or returning routes meant to be successful if they are confirmed so late. A lot ofnpeople would have their holidays planned by now

• Registered Users Posts: 4,829 ✭✭✭Poxyshamrock

All their marketing team seem to be concerned about is how quickly one can get through security. Ironically, the quieter the airport, the quicker this will be.

Exactly.

MOL has been around EU opening bases lately and Ryanair did put Summer 2024 schedule on later then normal so maybe some small hope.

• Advertisement

Well I would give them a bit of leway as ryanair are probably waiting on the number of aircraft they will have available to them. They admitted last wk they are short.

Still though nothing advertised even on the bankers

Im not convinced Ryanair are short aircraft. They are leasing 3 of there MAX to Indigo.

Id say all Mary Considine us concerned about as well is keeping Shannon in the Regional airport programme. So she can get millions every year

• Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭Tiernster7

Any new ryanair route could be ran for a very short period. Like La rochelle - Cork.

Re Aer Lingus if they were to add and I'm not that hopeful although it should be pointed out they've gradually grown services over the last 2 years I'd expect it to be from September. Remember Barcelona and Paris were launched before. They do have a small bit of capacity for maybe a twice weekly elsewhere in Europe.

Barcelona and Paris were launched because Shannon had a 320 based as well as 2 321 neo. Shannon only has 2 321 neo based now and no 320 so theres no capacity to add routes. The 321 neo have a full schedule from Shannon with needing downtime for maintenance as well.

I cant see them doing Barcelona. Vueling would be the only hope for that or Ryanair.

Also a route like Barcelona would be added from May. There not missing peak summer months. September was just when CDG was added so not set in stone month to add routes.

Post edited by LimaRomeo990 on

I think there is scope for the 321 to do a twice weekly like Paris on different days. I'm not predicting it will happen merely speculating what AL might be considering. I wasnt sayiong Barcelona (I think Ryanair has sufficient cover in that region ) but maybe there is scope for something else.

Re Ryanair, A July to Septempber service is possible I guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,829 ✭✭✭Poxyshamrock

Aer Lingus CEO was on Morning Ireland this morning talking about Dublin Airport capping. When asked if Aer Lingus would look at other airports for expansion as a result of the cap, she said that they are committed to their plan for Dublin and to working with DAA.

But EI already do CDG on Thurs/Sun with the NEO? They definitely cant fit more in.

I was using BCN as a example.

Why couldn't they do Friday / Monday at the same times ? It looks the planes are there .

Anyway Ryanair said in statement today Shannon will grow in 2024, I think current schedule probably has growth particularly with larger aircraft so may mean nothing.

The planes are there but they need down time for maintenance in Shannon as well. They have no crew base in Shannon any more either. So bussing more crew and overnighting more crew from Dublin is added expense. If Aer lingus new it would work they would do it.

Also I’m still not convinced on Ryanair. They said they’d grow Knock this year two, yet knock has no new routes and Knock also mentioned it wouldn’t be getting any new routes for 2024. It’s MOL waffle to the Government so they lift Dublins cap. Not worth reading into it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,116 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

That's not an accurate representation, the A320 going to Heathrow wasn't a factor in it at all.

The plan was to use one of the A321's, on alternative days to BCN/CDG, one route 4x weekly and the other 3x weekly. The other A321 still had the downtime.

Where do i start? Yours is actually the wrong representation not mine. (Also goes to show you the crap people say on the internet because your comment is BS) The 320 was doing CDG/BCN as the 321 neo was doing the morning LHR run. The 320 was freed up because EI380/1 were operated by the 321 before JFK/BOS

This is the case now. 2 321 neo based with one on the morning LHR and the 2nd one on CDG twice weekly.

You can read back and search the Aer lingus forum in this. CDG/BCN were never set out for the 321 neo originally. DUB/SNN LHR were the first short haul routes for the 321 neo. SNN LHR being announced summer 2019.

You can see the SNN LHR timetable here in this thread from 2019

Ironically you have commented in it and all!

Just incase as well heres a article mentioning BCN/CDG were being operated by a 320. So the 321 neo doing LHR was definetly a factor. This free’d up the 320 in the morning to do these routes before going to LHR in the afternoon

Official Aer Lingus press release also showing Barcelona & Paris to be operated by a 320 https://mediacentre.aerlingus.com/news/06112019/aer-lingus-launches-two-new-european-routes-from-shannon-for-summer-2020

So in a jist 321 neo operates LHR and was planned to before covid also. 320 was operating Barcelona & Paris before doing LHR twice daily. This plan for the 320 however never happened due to Covid. 

Now after Covid its 2 321 neo operating CDG twice weekly and daily LHR. 320 was lost as well as the Cabin Crew base during Covid.

Delete

Noticed Girona has dropped from 3 times weekly to twice weekly April to June inclusive. Bhx and Edi were already like this. I presume its a combination of poor sales and shortage of planes.

Id say yourself and JCX BXC need to brush up on your Aer Lingus/Shannon knowledge as i see you said Thanks to its tweet which was inaccurate.

I have explained all above anyway

Yikes. Toys all over the place!

My recollection was a bit wrong it seems, and upon thinking about it, you run into a situation twice a week where neither A321 is free nowadays.

Yeah your toys were all over the place. Saying my comment was not a accurate representation even though it very much was right.

They need downtime for maintenance as well so i cant see Aer lingus doing more from shannon with the 2 321 neo there now. Especially without a crew base aswell

Also people should be posting based on facts. Not there own thoughtless assumptions

Christ man the cold weather doesn't suit you.

I've thanked you for your post @LimaRomeo990 ,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭x567

Keeping the toys in and back to the civil discourse that you regular contributors normally offer (!), does anyone think there’s any hope of the CDG service becoming a bit more business friendly? I have to visit Paris fairly regularly, but inevitably have to fly via Heathrow (at least one way if I can structure things to make the Thursday SNN flight home). Having a Tuesday out and Thursday back from SNN would be my ideal...

Advertisement