Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shannon Airport Thread [Mod Warning in First Post]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,462 ✭✭✭Masala

**** me... that’s some impairment! €24m. That’s €24,000,000

What the **** falls in value that quick in 12 months.....

• Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭AnRothar

Kramer wrote: »
    That doesn't sound credible, that a desserted airport with many fixed costs, fire service/airport police, air traffic control etc., could break even with next to zero passengers.
    I reckon it's some accounting spin - maybe Pascal had some input! We did have reasonable GDP growth last year after all :eek:.
    Air Traffic Control is provided by the IAA not the airport, their annual report is also out.

While the number of passengers is effectively zero the freighters continue to operate.
    So some income is coming in from airport operations.

• Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭AnRothar

Masala wrote: »
    **** me... that’s some impairment! €24m. That’s €24,000,000

What the **** falls in value that quick in 12 months.....

Old buildings in the industrial estate which were overvalued from the start.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,974 ✭✭✭Brennans Row

Renovo Motors Inc.

Renovo creates 30 jobs with the establishment of it’s EMEA HQ in Shannon

Founded in 2010, Renovo has designed and developed the world’s most advanced data management solution to greatly enhance the development of future software-defined vehicles. The award-winning platform developed by Renovo enables intelligent data capture and management from advanced software-defined vehicle architectures which is then optimized to enhance and improve performance, safety, and speed to market for the current and next generation of vehicle OEMs.

As our business continues to expand across the EMEA Region, it became critically important to establish a strong headquarters presence in the EU that would support our objectives for the region. After a thorough investigation of potential sites, I am delighted to say that Ireland’s Mid-West became the obvious location for Renovo’s EMEA HQ. “ Said Chris Heiser, CoFounder, and CEO, Renovo ” This decision was made all the easier with the Mid-West’s established community of Auto-tech companies and the opportunity to leverage our local efforts with key partners like Jaguar Land Rover, Seagate, and Cisco.”

That is a nice boost for the Future Mobility Campus Ireland (FMCI) project (see post 6040)

Protecting Borders with intelligent real time analytics solutions (Milestone Systems)

Discover how Shannon Airport achieves situational awareness using radar and video solutions to mitigate perimeter security threats from air, water and land. After the case study, we will discuss some of the future challenges within perimeter security with guest speakers from Shannon Airport and our Partner Navtech Radar.

Interesting video.

Mick Wallace and Clare Daly will have to don wildlife costumes to out smart this security tool. ;)

• Advertisement

No Aer Lingus US flights from Shannon until 2022? (Clare Herald)

Aer Lingus transatlantic services from Shannon Airport could remain grounded until summer 2022 while the airline’s schedule ‘remains under review’.

It’s believed a document outlining the airline’s timeline for the resumption of services, circulating among company workers, states that the Shannon to New York and Boston routes will not recommence until the middle of next year.

It’s understood that a document, which outlines the airline’s plans for resuming schedules, outlines plans to resume operations on previously operated routes from Dublin as well commencing new services from Dublin and Manchester to destinations including Barbados and Mexico.

It also says however that the Shannon to New York (JFK) and Boston routes have had their “suspensions extended” to S22 (summer 2022) or “February mid-terms or early March.”

If one puts a question mark over the "US Customs & Border Pre-Clearance" facilities, one can be equally concerned of the "Heathrow Slots" too.
    There’s also speculation about the future of the popular Aer Lingus Shannon/London Heathrow service with some suggesting that if flights resume on the route, it may not be with an aircraft that would be based at Shannon.

The airline would usually have one Airbus A320 aircraft based at Shannon to serve the London Heathrow route while a long range A321neo have been used to operate transatlantic services to New York and Boston.

Independent TD for Clare Michael McNamara said: “This is a cause of great concern but is indicative of the government’s laissez faire attitude to aviation which is now coming home to roost. It’s not just this government but also previous governments.”

“It’s ironic that some of the Aer Lingus fleet is now being deployed to operate from Manchester when there are no plans to resume services from Shannon.

I am also concerned for the Shannon to Heathrow service and for the future of the airline’s slots at Heathrow if they’re not used. It’s clear that the government’s aviation policy is at odds with its regional development and foreign direct investment policy,” Deputy McNamara added.

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,059 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

There was a USAF flight came in yesterday evening, brought the kids up for a look.

d4qNaOS.png

Shannon - Commercial Movements (IAA)

|Jan|Feb|Mar|Apr|May|Jun|Jul|Aug|Sept|Oct|Nov|Dec|Total
    2015|
    |
    |
    |
    |
    |
    |
    |
    |
    |
    |
    |
    2016|
    |
    |
    |
    |
    |
    |
    |
    |
    |
    |
    |
    2017|
    |
    |
    |
    |
    |
    |
    |
    |
    |
    |
    |
    2018|
    |
    |
    |
    |
    |
    |
    |
    |
    |
    |
    |
    2019|
    |
    |
    |
    |
    |
    |
    |
    |
    |
    |
    |
    2020|
    |
    |
    |
    |
    |
    |
    |
    |
    |
    |
    |
    |_7,229
    2021|
    |
    |
    |
    |||||||||
    Change|-72.7%|-65.8%|-63.9%|-74.5%||||||||

The 2021 figures from March onwards are compared with the corresponding month in 2019.

Shannon - Newark is on sale with United from March 27th 2022. All subject to change of course.

SNN EWR UA977 12.30-14.50
    EWR SNN UA976 22.55-10.10

• Registered Users Posts: 18,114 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Avgeek2101 wrote: »
    Shannon - Newark is on sale with United from March 27th 2022. All subject to change of course.

Good too see there is still appetite for these routes, they are the stronghold of Shannon.

I note that these flights will still be operated by 757-200's. Given that the newest of these aircraft will be 18 years old by the time this route recommences, it's fair to assume these aircraft won't operate on this route for much longer.

One would wonder what United's plans are for this route once the 757 leaves their fleet. American Airlines planned this year to operate their route to Philadelphia on a 787 (before it's eventual cancellation).

You'd also wonder if Delta will make a comeback.

• Advertisement

UA have 50 Airbus A321 XLR on order so they could operate SNN EWR instead.

Hopefully these flights would return next year with the vaccine been rolled out. It was mentioned by SNN in an article that UA/DL would return in 22/23. So they could possibly return next year as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,396 ✭✭✭RocketRaccoon

Once DL pull out of an airport, they usually don't return so I wouldn't be too hopeful.

Once DL pull out of an airport, they usually don't return so I wouldn't be too hopeful.

There's a big difference between pulling out of an airport and halting flights due to a worldwide pandemic and almost complete cessation in leisure travel. Delta have cancelled routes on a very large portion of their network, will none of these see flights return?

Delta had previously signalled intention to restart in 2021.

JCX BXC wrote: »
    There's a big difference between pulling out of an airport and halting flights due to a worldwide pandemic and almost complete cessation in leisure travel. Delta have cancelled routes on a very large portion of their network, will none of these see flights return?

Delta had previously signalled intention to restart in 2021.

They always said they wouldn't operate the route in 2021, they said that last August.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭highlydebased

Avgeek2101 wrote: »

I miss the UA24/25 flight number :D

They always said they wouldn't operate the route in 2021, they said that last August.

No, they did not. See article from June 2020, when United announced they were not operating in 2021.

http://clareherald.com/2020/06/shannon-group-disappointed-at-united-flights-news-12222/

"“We are pleased that American Airlines, Delta and Aer Lingus have indicated that they will resume their transatlantic services from Shannon in 2021."

• Registered Users Posts: 1,249 ✭✭✭McSween

I miss the UA24/25 flight number :D

Ridiculous but i noticed that too :-)

JCX BXC wrote: »
    No, they did not. See article from June 2020, when United announced they were not operating in 2021.

http://clareherald.com/2020/06/shannon-group-disappointed-at-united-flights-news-12222/

"“We are pleased that American Airlines, Delta and Aer Lingus have indicated that they will resume their transatlantic services from Shannon in 2021."

Yes they did, see article from August 2020.

https://m.independent.ie/business/delta-air-lines-dumps-shannon-new-york-link-for-2021-39468580.html

Also the Clare herald which you linked to had an article stating the same on August 21st last year.

Staff who work the DL flights in SNN were informed on August 11th that they wouldn't operate this year.

Yes they did, see article from August 2020.

https://m.independent.ie/business/delta-air-lines-dumps-shannon-new-york-link-for-2021-39468580.html

Also the Clare herald which you linked to had an article stating the same on August 21st last year.

Staff who work the DL flights in SNN were informed on August 11th that they wouldn't operate this year.

I think we're arguing the same points here.

I said they originally signalled an intent to return to Shannon in 2021, which they did, during the pandemic, in June.

This however changed in August, when they announced they wouldn't, however it was the original intention back in June.

I would imagine DL gave absolutely no indication that they would continue the service in 2021. Just hot air being blown by someone in the airport to try and calm people down about the UA announcement.

I'll be very shocked if we see a scheduled DL or UA flight before 2023 tbh.

• Advertisement

In completely shocking, unexpected news, Aer Lingus are permanently closing their Shannon base. Now let another airline, possibly even an Irish one, in properly and get a proper base going.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,415 ✭✭✭finbarrk

Disaster. But it doesn't say whether the vital Heathrow flights will resume - continue.
    https://www.rte.ie/news/business/2021/0518/1222358-aer-lingus-cork/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,147 ✭✭✭opinionated3

Aer lingus declared the airport inefficient, whatever they mean by that. Time for our local political representatives to step up to the mark or else it will become a ghost town

Aer lingus declared the airport inefficient, whatever they mean by that. Time for our local political representatives to step up to the mark or else it will become a ghost town

No its not, the politicians who want to use this stick are completely corrupt and utterly useless. They based their "save Shannon" shtick during this pandemic solely at Aer Lingus completely ignoring the other handlers that operate a lot more flights and have a lot more staff in the airport.

The constant pessimistic soundbites from government in relation to international travel doesn't help, there'll be very little confidence in travelling in 2021.

Hugely concerning for the airport, not entirely shocking though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭IngazZagni

In completely shocking, unexpected news, Aer Lingus are permanently closing their Shannon base. Now let another airline, possibly even an Irish one, in properly and get a proper base going.

Just to clarify this. They are closing their cabin crew base but will still base aircraft here I understand. Aer Lingus didn't base pilots here instead choosing to use Dublin based pilots so I'm assuming a similar routine will happen here. I'm not exactly sure how this saves costs but it must do for them to do it.

IngazZagni wrote: »
    Just to clarify this. They are closing their cabin crew base but will still base aircraft here I understand. Aer Lingus didn't base pilots here instead choosing to use Dublin based pilots so I'm assuming a similar routine will happen here. I'm not exactly sure how this saves costs but it must do for them to do it.

It means there are no cabin crew based in Shannon so there will be no base aircraft. If they continue any routes(Heathrow) then it won't be any Shannon crew involved other than a skeletal ground ops team.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,292 ✭✭✭✭branie2

Sad news to get

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,924 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

Terrible news as this means that there won't be anymore early morning flights to Heathrow.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭JamesBond2010

Clareman wrote: »
    Terrible news as this means that there won't be anymore early morning flights to Heathrow.

ya your right & that slot was up for renewal soon as well. Aer lingus got their wish used covid as the excuse then to close it.

Advertisement