Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shannon Airport Thread [Mod Warning in First Post]

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,346 ✭✭✭easypazz

LXFlyer wrote: »
    Well then why are people using Dublin as a hub in reasonable numbers from continental airports that already have direct connections?

I think you’re underplaying the possibilities.

Less congestion at pre-clearance in Shannon should be be a plus.

Are there many using it that way though? I'd have thought links to European airports with limited or no connections to NYC / BOS would be better?

As regards pre clearance its a nice selling point but I've been through security on the far side as fast as my bags come through, so its not an automatic saving.

I guess at periods of high demand as all direct flights are booked out, or close to booked out, people will be more inclined to go via secondary airports as prices will be competitive and departure and arrival times become less attractive.

• Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭Tiernster7

I've never seen statistics which suggest to me that French or Spanish traffic is diverting through Dublin when going to the USA.

If you have something like this I would be happy to change my mind

• Registered Users Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭highlydebased

Back when EI Regional flew to Manchester - I took an early morning flight. Well over 20 pax on the flight had come off the transatlantics

• Registered Users Posts: 17,603 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

Tiernster7 wrote: »
    I've never seen statistics which suggest to me that French or Spanish traffic is diverting through Dublin when going to the USA.

If you have something like this I would be happy to change my mind

I don’t have specific statistics by country but 1.7m people used Dublin as a transatlantic hub in 2018.

I just wouldn’t dismiss it as a possibility before it even starts.

I’d suggest that Aer Lingus, by using their new A321LR aircraft with business class seats on key morning European flights that connect with transatlantic services from Shannon to Heathrow & v.v. and Dublin to Heathrow and Paris & v.v., don’t necessarily agree with you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 667 ✭✭✭Balf

The services wouldn't be initiated unless someone did the math, and found good potential.

Will there be a crossover into US services? I'd say it's a case of suck it and see. Doesn't matter much, so long as the new services get used.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,353 ✭✭✭Shn99

BCN-BOS/JFK are bookable on the EI website via SNN however the returns are not as impossible to connect in time. Still potential for connections with that route if pax willing to return via DUB

I'll be delighted to see it work. Shannon would provide a quicker turnaround service and that would obviously be great. As Aer Lingus allude to an additional US Route isn't impossible if the strategy works.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,836 ✭✭✭lisasimpson

Paris should be a success. A lot of onward connections from CGD. Airporr needs another hub connection apart from London after Brexit. Also many American do multi stop breaks when holidaying in Europe. Flew to Naples from Dublin last summer and over half the flight was Americans after spending a couple of days here

FRA with LH down to just the Saturday rotation for next summer

Shn99 wrote: »
    FRA with LH down to just the Saturday rotation for next summer

Sorry what does this mean?

• Advertisement

Operating 1x weekly on Saturdays. Down from 2X weekly this summer (Thurs and Sat)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,938 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

Lufthansa to Frankfurt is down to one day a week.

Understood, I confused LH with Heathrow, at least they are holding onto carrier.

Not sure if it was mentioned but it looks like direct flights to Toronto are scheduled to resume in May.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,976 ✭✭✭Brennans Row

'I love being close to the metal': A flight in the Profit Hunter with Embraer's John Slattery (Fora)

The Clare native showcases the Brazilian firm’s new jet, reflecting on European aviation and sustainable flying.

It seems to be operating from Shannon under the flight number ZZZPRZIQ in the coming days.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭highlydebased

One wonders if LH have actually finalised their S20 schedule...

I saw on twitter that Shannon will have 25 destinations next year, how does this compare with the best years and if there is room for growth where is it.

My guess is the frequency could be improved on some existing services
    An additional route or 2 to the UK possibly

After that I'm unsure, maybe getting Ryanair to introduce a couple more low frequency destinations that aren't serviced in Knock or Cork

• Registered Users Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭kilburn

It seems to be operating from Shannon under the flight number

Beautiful plane was on one of the demo flights very quiet cabin.

Clare man brings Embraer’s newest jet to Shannon (Clare Herald)

Clare man John Slattery, who is President and CEO of Embraer Commercial Aviation, had brought his company’s largest ever aircraft to Shannon to meet potential customers.

The jet is visiting Shannon as part of Shannon International Leasing Conference 2019 (https://silc.ie/) so it can be closely inspected by the aircraft leasing community.

Sponsored by a number of Shannon based aviation service companies, some 200 delegates from across Ireland, the UK and Europe and as far afield as Brazil, gathered today to hear from speakers such as Paul Everitt, Chairman of Farnborough International and CEO of ADS Group – the trade organisation representing the aerospace, defence, security and space industries in the United Kingdom; Brett Leslie from leading international deluxe leisure and corporate travel agency Frosch CTM and Clare native and President & CEO of Brazilian aerospace conglomerate Embraer Commercial Aviation John Slattery.

“Every time an aircraft is transitioned, it needs to be painted, needs maintenance and repair, components overhauled. A globally recognised expertise has emerged at Shannon over the decades so we are one of the top hubs internationally for this activity. This means we have a huge opportunity to grow business and jobs here at Shannon as aircraft numbers grow.  Our role in Shannon IASC is to help drive that.”

This year alone we have seen 15 new indigenous and overseas aviation businesses locate in Shannon.

Emergency services on standby for jet diversion (Clare Herald)

Emergency services were standing by for a transatlantic flight that diverted to Shannon Airport with an ill passenger this (yesterday) afternoon.

Air Canada Rouge flight ROU-1915 was travelling from Barcelona, Spain to Toronto Canada.

• Registered Users Posts: 505 ✭✭✭Davys Fits

Clare man brings Embraer’s newest jet to Shannon (Clare Herald)

Clare man John Slattery, who is President and CEO of Embraer Commercial Aviation, had brought his company’s largest ever aircraft to Shannon to meet potential customers.

The jet is visiting Shannon as part of Shannon International Leasing Conference 2019 (https://silc.ie/) so it can be closely inspected by the aircraft leasing community.

Sponsored by a number of Shannon based aviation service companies, some 200 delegates from across Ireland, the UK and Europe and as far afield as Brazil, gathered today to hear from speakers such as Paul Everitt, Chairman of Farnborough International and CEO of ADS Group – the trade organisation representing the aerospace, defence, security and space industries in the United Kingdom; Brett Leslie from leading international deluxe leisure and corporate travel agency Frosch CTM and Clare native and President & CEO of Brazilian aerospace conglomerate Embraer Commercial Aviation John Slattery.

“Every time an aircraft is transitioned, it needs to be painted, needs maintenance and repair, components overhauled. A globally recognised expertise has emerged at Shannon over the decades so we are one of the top hubs internationally for this activity. This means we have a huge opportunity to grow business and jobs here at Shannon as aircraft numbers grow.  Our role in Shannon IASC is to help drive that.”

This year alone we have seen 15 new indigenous and overseas aviation businesses locate in Shannon.

Well done John Slattery. Hasn't forgotten where he comes from.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭tv221

Nice to see KLM training in Shannon on this sunny morning. https://www.flightradar24.com/data/aircraft/ph-exw

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭tv221

Atlas air seems to have turned over the Atlantic and heading for Shannon. https://www.flightradar24.com/data/aircraft/n662gt

tv221 wrote: »
    Atlas air seems to have turned over the Atlantic and heading for Shannon. https://www.flightradar24.com/data/aircraft/n662gt

Jet diverts to Shannon after suffering hydraulic failure over Atlantic (Irish Examiner)

A transatlantic jet was forced to divert to Shannon Airport this morning after suffering a hydraulic system leak and failure off the Scottish coast.

Atlas Air flight ‘Giant’ 8327 was en route from Frankfurt Hahn airport to Portsmouth, New Hampshire in the U.S.

Shortly before 10.00am, when the Boeing 767-300(ER) jet was about 800km northwest of Donegal, the crew reported they were experiencing mechanical issues.

Atlas Air is a New York based cargo and passenger charter airline that also provides services to the U.S. military flying troops around the world.

Davys Fits wrote: »
    Well done John Slattery. Hasn't forgotten where he comes from.

Indeed, but I think it shows more the benefits of active networking by the Shannon Group.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭kilburn

Indeed, but I think it shows more the benefits of active networking by the Shannon Group.

They were over to sell planes to lessors nothing to do with the Shannon group

kilburn wrote: »
    They were over to sell planes to lessors nothing to do with the Shannon group

Of course selling his company planes would be his main task, but doing so as part of the Shannon International Leasing Conference is a great coup for Shannon's IASC cluster.

I would see it as a networking success as he was invited to a Shannon Chamber Lunch last January which was sponsored by the Shannon Group.

University of Limerick graduate launches new fuel efficient jet (Limerick Leader)

Ennis native John Slattery was previously awarded an MBA from the University of Limerick and remains active at UL as an adjunct professor.

Although he lives in Brazil, he still owns a home in Ennis and says he’s proud of his connections with UL.

Ahead of the Shannon International Leasing Conference, MBA students at the Kemmy Business School as well as students of Aeronautical Engineering at UL were also given the opportunity to experience the E195-E2.

Addressing the students, John Slattery said there are extraordinary opportunities in the commercial aviation sector at present but that climate change and embracing the planet are significant challenges.

Shannon - Commercial Movements (IAA)

|Jan|Feb|Mar|Apr|May|Jun|Jul|Aug|Sept|Oct|Nov|Dec|Total
    2015|1,253|1,026|1,277|1,454|1,725|2,169|2,058|1,728|1,780|1,645|1,283|1,312|18,710
    2016|1,222|1,128|1,390|1,488|1,807|2,031|2,032|1,834|1,839|1,698|1,353|1,327|19,149
    2017|1,291|1,215|1,429|1,446|1,776|1,975|1,949|1,885|1,778|1,796|1,440|1,316|19,296
    2018|1,301|1,200|1,368|1,575|1,829|2,098|2,104|1,949|2,066|1,858|1,385|1,369|20,102
    2019|1,246|1,087|1,320|1,444|1,836|1,951|1,976|1,843|1,974|1,738|||
    Change|-4.2%|-9.4%|-3.5%|-8.3%|+0.4%|-7.0%|-6.1%|-5.4%|-5.8%|-6.5%|||

Two medical diversions to Shannon this week.

Jet diverts to Shannon with medical emergency (Clare Herald)

A U.S. bound flight had to turn back over the Atlantic and divert to Shannon Airport this evening so the crew could seek medical attention for an ill passenger.

British Airways flight BA-209 was travelling from London’s Heathrow airport to Miami, Florida at the time. The flight departed Heathrow at around 2.45pm and was about three hours into its journey when the crew made a U-turn over the Atlantic.

On Tuesday an Aer Lingus flight from Dublin to Gran Canaria diverted to Shannon.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,627 ✭✭✭mrsoundie

What the hell, just landed in Shannon?

It was coming through my window at one stage! :eek:

Advertisement