Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

will a aa cow wean her calf naturally

Options
  • 23-01-2014 10:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 16

has anyone ever let a cow wean her calf naturally. I run 6 angus cows they have calves at foot they are on a massive run of ground all were calved outside and have never seen the inside of a shed, just a crush for dosing and testing. is it possible to wean them naturally, silly question but just curious , as it would save a lot of stress all round.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭Mac Taylor

has anyone ever let a cow wean her calf naturally. I run 6 angus cows they have calves at foot they are on a massive run of ground all were calved outside and have never seen the inside of a shed, just a crush for dosing and testing. is it possible to wean them naturally, silly question but just curious , as it would save a lot of stress all round.
    They will in time, are they in calf again? Can you seperate them, even leaving in crush pen if it's sheltered. If there is a bull weanling with them he could bull the loton you? You can also get a device that you put on the weanlings nose that will result in the cow not letting the calf suck

• Registered Users Posts: 2,439 ✭✭✭J.O. Farmer

She will naturally start to produce less milk and the calf won't get anything much. However the calf could continue to suck anyway and it could be a problem when they calve again.
    If you could separate them in separate fields even this would work.
    If you only have 1 field divide it with an electric fence into 3. Once the cattle become used to it move half the cows to 1 end division and the rest of the cattle to the other. After 3 days move the rest of the cows.
    The only problem with this could be water supply. If you keep the cows and calves separate for a few weeks it should stop any problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 martinangus

they are all back in calf. all heifers I can use the crush and pump plenty nuts into them , and use the nose spike, and reduce the cows intake to dry them of. thanks for the reply.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 4,980 Mod ✭✭✭✭Genghis Cant

they are all back in calf. all heifers I can use the crush and pump plenty nuts into them , and use the nose spike, and reduce the cows intake to dry them of. thanks for the reply.

An important issue is that the cow be weaned in ample time for her to dry off and then produce (when springing to calve) an adequate supply of quality beastings for the new calf. So ideally she'd want a min of 8 weeks idle before she calves.

Advertisement