Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

small herd number?

Options
  • 21-01-2014 10:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 494 ✭✭

hi chaps,the mother was talking about getting a couple of goats or sheep to keep the place tidy grass down etc on about acre,
    will she need a herd number?
    are the easy to obtain?
    are the expensive?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,180 ✭✭✭✭Base price

1.Yes she will need a herd number.
    2. Once you can show that you have proper facilities - housing, fencing, enough land and piped water then she should have no problem.
    3. There is no cost or charge.
    After she fills out the appropriate form she must return it to her local DVO (Dept of Agri - District Veterinary Office) she will then be contacted by a DVO vet who will come and inspect the premises for suitability.
    If she keeps fowl of any description ensure that she has a flock number before applying for a sheep/goat number. I have heard of people getting into trouble with the Dept for not having poultry flock number when the vet came to do an inspection.
    Here is a link to the Dept website. If you click on the appropriate link it will download a pdf file which you can print off and fill out.
    Best of luck.
    http://www.agriculture.gov.ie/animalhealthwelfare/animalwelfare/registrationofpremisesanimals/

• Registered Users Posts: 494 ✭✭vinnie13

Base price wrote: »
    1.Yes she will need a herd number.
    2. Once you can show that you have proper facilities - housing, fencing, enough land and piped water then she should have no problem.
    3. There is no cost or charge.
    After she fills out the appropriate form she must return it to her local DVO (Dept of Agri - District Veterinary Office) she will then be contacted by a DVO vet who will come and inspect the premises for suitability.
    If she keeps fowl of any description ensure that she has a flock number before applying for a sheep/goat number. I have heard of people getting into trouble with the Dept for not having poultry flock number when the vet came to do an inspection.
    Here is a link to the Dept website. If you click on the appropriate link it will download a pdf file which you can print off and fill out.
    Best of luck.
    http://www.agriculture.gov.ie/animalhealthwelfare/animalwelfare/registrationofpremisesanimals/

Thanks for the reply,that all seems pretty handy.
    There will be fencing all around the property sheep wire with a single strand above,
    Had planned on buildind a block shed for them to seek shelter and well been bored..

The only problem is I have a dozen hens on the adjoining piece of groundwgich are fenced and have a shed so I guess I should register first?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,180 ✭✭✭✭Base price

I would. Just fill out the form, send to your local DVO and they will post you back a letter with your new flock number included. They do no come an inspect for backyard keepers of poultry. The form can be found on the same link that I posted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 small farms association

could you keep three sheep on a small farm

• Registered Users Posts: 4,293 ✭✭✭arctictree

could you keep three sheep on a small farm

Yes, I don't see why not.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9 gmoran

Do u need a crush for getting flock number or will a small pen be fine

gmoran wrote: »
    Do u need a crush for getting flock number or will a small pen be fine

You just need field fenced for sheep with a pen in the corner.

Thanks arctictree so two gates in a corner be fine

gmoran wrote: »
    Thanks arctictree so two gates in a corner be fine

Ha - that's pushing it! Hard to make a pen from 2 gates!

Haha scan the 10 acres is well fenced at the end corner of the field
    The corner is a right angle and making it a complete square with two gates makes it a small compact pen

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭detective

Depending on the Department official a well fenced acre may well be enough. I got mine last year with no piped water or any pin. A water trough can be filled with a hose regularly and if you have sheep from young then a pin wouldn't be needed to catch them. I also applied for a flock number at the same time as an ovine number. I had ovines and poultry prior to applying. The department official was ok about it. They are all different though I suppose. His attitude was at least its been done now.

• Registered Users Posts: 588 ✭✭✭MFdaveIreland

What is the minimum amount of land to obtain a herd number?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,241 ✭✭✭✭Kovu

I think you need to have more than an acre of land to qualify but the inspector has the final say in cases.

Facilities to care for animals would be the bigger cause of concern for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 MmC1980

i got herd number for goat with half acre. I kept goat for 3 years without number never had problem. But now i want pigs so had to sign up with department .Inspecter came out looked around for shelter, fenceing and running water

Advertisement