Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Flubenvet - Where can I get it?

Options
  • 21-01-2014 9:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 24

Hi,

One of my hens is poorly at the moment. I brought her to my local Vet this morning, who gave her an antibiotic injection. She thinks she may have worms.

I've been worming my hens with verm-x but she advised that I get some Flubenvet. The veterinary practice doesn't keep it in stock. She can order some in but it would take a few days. Does anyone know of a veterinary practice that might have this in stock? I'm based in Dublin.

The vet also suggested I try a mixed veterinary practice (cattle, sheep, cats dogs etc) on the outskirts of Dublin. Usually, I'm pretty good at
    googling but I'm struggling to find one. Anyone got any suggestions?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭aonb

Not much use to you but I buy Flubenvet from my local animal feeds store (Its between Naas and Kilcullen) - you can also get it from Floods animal feeds in Newbridge. Im sure there must be some animal feeds stores closer to you - worth phoning them as not all stock it.
    You can also get it online from AMAZON and OLDMACDONALD.IE (based in Carlow)

Flubenvet is really the only comprehensive worming powder for hens. Verm-x just doesnt do the job Ive found.
    A heavy load of worms will whack a hen very quickly
    You should be worming three times/year
    When you get your Flubenvet, you feed them with the Flubenvet only, for 7 straight days - coat your pellets in a little bit of oil, add the Flubenvet so it adheres to the pellets (else it will all drop down to the bottom of the container like dust!) and feed those treated pellets only that for 7 days running.
    Adding active Cider Vinegar to their water will help reduce parasites (when they are worm-free)
    Good luck - hope you get her sorted quickly

• Registered Users Posts: 24 Magzie

Thank aonB, I buy all my poultry supplies from Whites Argi in Lusk. I rang them this afternoon to see if they had it in stock, they don't. I also asked the guy on the phone if he knew the name of any vets in the area, surprisingly, he didn't know of any :(

My vet told me that it was prescription only, and she would happily email the prescription to another practice who had it in stock otherwise she would order it for me. I suppose I'm just really impatient and don't want to wait days for it to arrive. It makes me really sad to see my hen all poorly, she looks miserable.

Unless things have changed since I bought a box of Flubenvet from Barndoor Feed Stores (and its been a while - it lasts a long time with a small flock!) I was not aware that Flubenvet is prescription only.

You can get it online also from

http://www.vetuk.co.uk/index.php?main_page=advanced_search_result&search_in_description=1&zenid=nq7340lqtq05tnd6c5ujkrhjn4&keyword=flubenvet

its £25, but it will do for years. How many hens do you have?
    I would not delay in worming your hen - if she has a heavy load of worms, it will kill her.
    Are you sure its worms? Are there worms in her poo?
    Did the antibiotic help, or is she still unwell?
    How old is she?
    Whats her comb like - colour?
    Whats her crop like - full/empty/squishy?
    Is she eating and drinking?
    Is she laying - has she laid?
    I HATE it when my hens are unwell - so upsetting and they are so fragile, its can be fatal so often.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭Base price

Magzie wrote: »
    Thank aonB, I buy all my poultry supplies from Whites Argi in Lusk. I rang them this afternoon to see if they had it in stock, they don't. I also asked the guy on the phone if he knew the name of any vets in the area, surprisingly, he didn't know of any :(

My vet told me that it was prescription only, and she would happily email the prescription to another practice who had it in stock otherwise she would order it for me. I suppose I'm just really impatient and don't want to wait days for it to arrive. It makes me really sad to see my hen all poorly, she looks miserable.
    Try Fingal Farm Supplies near Ballyboughal and Oldtown. They normally have it in stock. Probably best to phone them first just to make sure
    http://ffhg.ie/

• Registered Users Posts: 24 Magzie

Thanks, the info. I ended up ordering it online.

I have four hens and the other three are grand, not a bother on them.

As for Lionella, the antibiotic didn't seam to do much.
    She is around 2 and half, we got her as a pullet.
    Her comb is red, this morning it was slightly purple on top but it went back to red again.
    She is not eating her layers pellets at all, every morning she heads straight to the water and mooches around the run. Doesn't go near the layers pellets at all.
    She is eating grass though and I gave her some rice today and she ate it happily, gave her some yoghurt too.
    She is drinking lots.
    She is loosing weight, the vet struggled to find breast tissue to give her the injection.
    Sometimes she is all puffed up.
    She hasn't laid in a few months, as she was going through a moult. She has finished moulting.
    Her vent is dirty, she has diarrhoea.

We keep the hens in a run, and let them out for a few hours each day. I'd love to let them roam free all day but they wouldn't last long, we already lost one to a fox and we often see foxes during the day and I hear them at night too.

Anyway, we custom built out of wood and weld mesh, a connecting tunnel from the coop to the run so we can access the sliding door. On Sunday morning, we forgot to put the lid back on the tunnel and Lionella escaped. I looked out the window and saw her in the middle of the lawn eating grass, the other 3 hens were still in the run. So for a sick hen, she is fairly active.

It's just really confusing, cos she looks miserable, she is not herself at all, she is not eating much, drinking lots, has diarrhoea, not laying but is still moving around and scratching like normal. The vet listened to her heart beat and breathing, looked down her throat, took her temp and said all were normal.

:(

• Advertisement

Love the name!!
    How long ago did she have a moult?
    She could be one of these hens who are devastated by a moult - you could try to up her protein levels in a big way. Will she eat fish? You could try her with any tinned fish in oil or water (not brine - salt is v.bad for hens). If she is loosing weight this is bad - tempt her with scrambled eggs, or grated cheese. The yoghourt is always good. If she is alert and moving/scratching this is good. If her comb was purple but now red that is good too. The comb colour and floppyness (is that a word) is a v.good indicator of a hens health. Pale or purple combs are not good. Purple can indicate heart problems.

As soon as you get the Flubenvet, get her on to it. If she wont eat layers pellets, you can cut a grape in half (is there a hen alive who doesnt love grapes?!? hopefully Lionella wont be the exception) and dip it in a bit of Flubenvet and feed it to her - a couple times a day, for the 7 days. Or if she will eat scrambled eggs or mashed sardines/mackeral mix the wormer in and feed to her - on her own so the other 3 dont take her portion.

Have you tried her with mash rather than the pellets? Mine will only eat mash. I put the pellets in a container, add hot water, leave to stand to soak and cool . I also add a bit of porridge oats and mixed grain. Until she is well and back to normal, I would start feeding her on her own with tasty things - great if she'll take the mash, try adding some grated cheese and chopped up tomatoes to make it tempting - just a spoonful or two at a time. Bananas are good treats as are sweetcorn, peas. Anything to make her eat - hens cant afford to loose weight.

Let us know how you get on? Good luck

Advertisement