Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

goats & rabbits for meat

Options
  • 21-01-2014 8:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,993 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

Just wondering if anyone here keeps goats & rabbits for meat? i have been researching both most of the week.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 846 ✭✭✭Boardnashea

I used to keep rabbits for meat. Easy and productive. We had old mink cages which were great. I would love to get back to them but have been outvoted by the children that have arrived since.

And no... the children are pets, not for the oven!:p

• Registered Users Posts: 3,993 ✭✭✭Kevhog1988

what type/breed of rabbit did you keep??

• Registered Users Posts: 846 ✭✭✭Boardnashea

Can't remember but probably a variation of the large dutch. Had them finishing at 7 - 9 lbs on occasion.
    We had goats as well for a while and the billy kids would be killed for the freezer. Don't know what age but quite young probably.

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭tattycat

Hiya Migrant. We keep Californian rabbits for meat, we also have Californian X's for the pet shops. So far we have managed to sell our billy kids, but this year hope to have some for the freezer. Last lot were hand reared so defo nit for the freezer!!

Hiya Boardnashea. Love the fact your children are pets nd not for the oven!! lol
    I'm all for keeping breeding pairs/trios, nd eating the babies, nd therefore remind friends not to leave me holding the baby as they never know what might happen!! Haven't worked yet......lol

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭aonb

Have never had goat meat - what does it taste like??

• Registered Users Posts: 17 tradmav

Yeah ive a friend who does it too, he does it as a sort of food security thing. Whats the craic with feeding them? I think my friend just gives them forage. I know from poultry that animal feed can be a hefty cost

aonb wrote: »
    Have never had goat meat - what does it taste like??

Its lovely if cooked slow

Hiya aonb, goat meat is quite lamby without the fattiness. Slow cooked it's lovely nd tender. As for feeding them, mine are on a dairy goat feed. All non GM etc . nd comes in quite expensive, however my main milker is giving over a gallon a day over 20 months!!. I also show them. Nd another point is if I am consuming any of my animals or produce from them I really want the best I can afford, after all you get back what you put in!! Nd my show goats are 2nd, 3rd nd 4 generation show goats. Yes im very proud! Sometimes wonder if im a pushy mom.....lol

tattycat wrote: »
    Hiya aonb, goat meat is quite lamby without the fattiness. Slow cooked it's lovely nd tender. As for feeding them, mine are on a dairy goat feed. All non GM etc . nd comes in quite expensive, however my main milker is giving over a gallon a day over 20 months!!. I also show them. Nd another point is if I am consuming any of my animals or produce from them I really want the best I can afford, after all you get back what you put in!! Nd my show goats are 2nd, 3rd nd 4 generation show goats. Yes im very proud! Sometimes wonder if im a pushy mom.....lol

All sounds good tattycat - I keep hens with the same philosophy - you get out the quality that you put in!
    What do you do with a gallon of milk/day?
    any photos of your goats??

• Advertisement

Cereal, rice pudding,cheese, friends!! If I was cleverer with net on the phone nd signal was better I could post some pics, however me the phone and the signal aren't that clever!! If you look on Arve Agri Show site for Champion goat last year you'll see my eldest nanny, The Magnificent Madam Minkey.

Very good tattycat, do you sell young stock??

Update: I have sourced two giant Californian x giant lop does

Yes I certainly do! Im due to kid mid April, so if interested giz a look then. Its Minkey's daughter that's kidding, nd she nd 1 of her kids both took 1st place at Virginia Show last year.
    Out of curiosity where did you source your giant rabbits? I have a friend that's been looking for ages. Whats the plan for them? Breed nd eat?

I sourced them for free beside where I work in the uk. I've got two does but have noticed some bucks on done deal. I will sell some young when I breed to help others get set up.

Cereal, rice pudding,cheese, friends!! If I was cleverer with net on the phone nd signal was better I could post some pics, however me the phone and the signal aren't that clever!! If you look on Arve Agri Show site for Champion goat last year you'll see my eldest nanny, The Magnificent Madam Minkey.

she looks beautiful! I had never heard of Arve Show - unfortunately the 2014 is on a date that we're away

Let me know when nd I'll pass it on to my friend! A potential sale before you start, always good. Will you be eating any you can't sell? What size litters do they have? Nd aren't you worried about being dissemboweled? lol

Thanks aonb. Its ment to be Arva Show. Bloody phone. Nd I'm horrified..it took me 2hrs last night to look at her picture again myself, only to discover she's under someone else's name!! Will have to sort that out!!!!!

Let me know when nd I'll pass it on to my friend! A potential sale before you start, always good. Will you be eating any you can't sell? What size litters do they have? Nd aren't you worried about being dissemboweled? lol

I plan on eating the young.

Advertisement