Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone else depressed with house hunting?

Options
  • 20-01-2014 6:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭

Looking around for three months now and there's absolutely nothing out there. Went to three house viewings on Saturday on the north side of Dublin and all three houses needed ALOT of work added onto the inflated asking price. Yet there were at least 25 couples at two of the three viewings. It's madness and seriously turning me off viewing and searching in general. Anyone else experiencing this? Anyone any wisdom that supply will somehow improve anytime soon?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,621 ✭✭✭TheBody

I'm having the same problem. Houses are either way out of my budget or they are in need of MAJOR work. I'm fed up with it all.

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭Marchbride

TheBody wrote: »
    I'm having the same problem. Houses are either way out of my budget or they are in need of MAJOR work. I'm fed up with it all.

Awww stop its crap isn't it!!?!! I remember watching my sister and friends beam with excitement when house hunting between 5-2 yr ago and all I feel is stress!! Are you looking north side too body? Anyone's I've seen in north side need at least new heating system, rewiring and windows.. U need over 320 to get something half decent!!

I'm looking in the Mullingar region. I'm trying to find a house in the countryside. Been actively looking for about 8 months now.

I was thinking that getting the mortgage would be the tricky bit!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,528 ✭✭✭gaius c

Mr.S wrote: »
    Increasing budget seems to be the only way. Basically everyone wants 1 or 2 beds for 900-1200euro a month!

Think OP and others are talking re buying.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,427 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

I am finding the same, not many properties on the market that fill my criteria (and I am not that fussy), some silly prices being made and I am also finding sellers who can't actually sell their house!

TheDriver wrote: »
    I am finding the same, not many properties on the market that fill my criteria (and I am not that fussy), some silly prices being made and I am also finding sellers who can't actually sell their house!

Not one on market for us.. Seen one we liked and contacted EA who then told me that it's not actually for sale as vendor is now letting bank repossess but yet EA has add up? That was annoying as it would have been ideal (if we got it of course) but that's as close as we've gotten to the right one.
    I found it funny when viewing one of the properties which needed alot of work on Saturday, I overheard the EA telling an interested couple that the asking price was offered that wk but owner didn't accept it as he knows there's plenty of fish but very little bait. The house is on market for at least 8 mths and couldn't be shifted and now the vendor is in a position where she can turn asking price down.. Amazes me

• Registered Users Posts: 4,502 ✭✭✭chris85

I am starting to look at properties but still in early stages. Hoping to look for mortgage approval in March/April with a view to buy in the 2nd half of the year I hope. However I have been keeping an eye on properties and prices in the North Dublin area and not very optimistic on how it will go. Will have better idea in few months.

Its kind of annoying as me and partner are both good candidates for mortgage with good jobs, good savings and no debt. We want to buy and settle in Dublin as were we are from but so many investors and cash buyers seem to be inflating the prices and so many unsustainable mortgages not being serviced and the banks are finding it hard to repossess so a large amount of properties out there which would be better for me if they were up for sale.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 71 ✭✭caew

we've been looking for months but the problem we are finding is sellers not wanting to sell. we have looked at houses that have been up for over a year, no offers, yet we have put in offers and they either won't consider them or just don't bother responding.

I think sellers are hanging on hoping the prices shoot up so many houses up for sale are not for sale really at this time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,239 ✭✭✭lima

caew wrote: »
    we've been looking for months but the problem we are finding is sellers not wanting to sell. we have looked at houses that have been up for over a year, no offers, yet we have put in offers and they either won't consider them or just don't bother responding.

I think sellers are hanging on hoping the prices shoot up so many houses up for sale are not for sale really at this time.

Yeah unfortunately this is so. The govt are really happy about this by the way, it's what they wanted. Restricted stock = higher prices.

I'm actively looking to buy too btw

• Advertisement

Sad but true :( we saw and loved a house and have a reasonable bid on it but were told that the vendors are happy to wait out until something better comes along?! House been on market approx 10months.. They're downsizing but have nowhere to go so if you were to get the house you'd be waiting a long time to move in. So they're hanging for the 'boom'!!
    Crap time to buy

• Registered Users Posts: 5,094 ✭✭✭stargazer 68

Marchbride wrote: »
    Sad but true :( we saw and loved a house and have a reasonable bid on it but were told that the vendors are happy to wait out until something better comes along?! House been on market approx 10months.. They're downsizing but have nowhere to go so if you were to get the house you'd be waiting a long time to move in. So they're hanging for the 'boom'!!
    Crap time to buy

There is a lovely house for sale on my road and has been up for sale for a year now - could never figure out why it hadn't sold - maybe thats why then!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,251 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

I am so over house hunting the last year or so but I am trying again now because I'm getting a little bit sick of being at home.

Saw a house on daft in a Cork suburb - 4 bed for 210k - emailed the agent on Sunday night looking for an appointment to see it - still heard nothing....

There is actually nothing out there and this house looks fairly decent but I'm wondering if they'd accept a lower bid....if I ever get to view the house that is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 71 ✭✭caew

Crap time to buy

That is exactly our experiences, a lot of houses we have viewed are people downsizing and are willing to take the chance the prices are going up and won't even consider offers now.

It is a waste of time, both for potential buyers and estate agents who are showing a house that isn't really for sale!

Is this mainly Dublin based where people are seeing owners trying to hold on for better prices down the line? Or is it happening all over the place? My search will be focused on Dublin either way.

There was an excellent thread here before detailing one buyer's search for a house and the number of houses he looked at that were not actually for sale. The reasons included:
    1. House was only on sale to get the bank off their backs and they refused all offers.
    2. House was on sale but the asking price moved forever upwards because a) they didn't want to move or b) they had a mortgage that needed clearing and wouldn't sell it for less.

Bulls maintain that there is pent up demand but there is also pent up supply too. Patience. This could take a while to clear.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,581 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

Looking around for three months now and there's absolutely nothing out there. Went to three house viewings on Saturday on the north side of Dublin and all three houses needed ALOT of work added onto the inflated asking price. Yet there were at least 25 couples at two of the three viewings. It's madness and seriously turning me off viewing and searching in general. Anyone else experiencing this? Anyone any wisdom that supply will somehow improve anytime soon?

Keep positive.

We were well over a year looking and viewed more than 30 places. Were screwed over but got what we wanted in the end.

chris85 wrote: »
    Is this mainly Dublin based where people are seeing owners trying to hold on for better prices down the line? Or is it happening all over the place? My search will be focused on Dublin either way.

Not better prices, better quality.
    The only houses that are genuinely for sale are derelicts or houses where the previous occupant was carried out in a box a month before.

gaius c wrote: »
    The only houses that are genuinely for sale are derelicts or houses where the previous occupant was carried out in a box a month before.

Can agree with that. The ones I see on daft certainly look like that. I am looking for a house which is livable when I move in. I will be making changes as most do over the years but at the start wont have major money to make changes and will need it livable.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭miezekatze

I agree with Alf Veedersane, stay positive about it! We bought our house just a few months ago after spending almost every weekend in 2013 viewing houses, getting outbid on multiple houses and getting very fed up with the whole experience! It's a stressful process, but it will be worth it in the end! By summer 2013 we started thinking that we'd never find anything, and that's even though we'd increased our budget and were willing to compromise on quite a few things. Eventually it worked out for us though, we came across a house that ticks most of our boxes at a decent price, and for some strange reason nobody else was bidding against us. :) Good luck to everyone who's still looking!

• Advertisement

chris85 wrote: »
    Can agree with that. The ones I see on daft certainly look like that. I am looking for a house which is livable when I move in. I will be making changes as most do over the years but at the start wont have major money to make changes and will need it livable.
    You can't get them right now because even if the owners are not in arrears, they are in NE and don't want to realise it by moving & selling up.

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭Egan2012

I know you are all talking about buying homes guys, But I was only looking for a place to rent and it took me nearly 12 months just to find a suitable place. We have a big family and a lot of the places wouldn't except us. I found it very dishearting. I know it's probably not the same as trying to buy a place. We eventually found a place just before Christmas. For the house that we got it was well worth the wait.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

Egan2012 wrote: »
    I know you are all talking about buying homes guys, But I was only looking for a place to rent and it took me nearly 12 months just to find a suitable place. We have a big family and a lot of the places wouldn't except us. I found it very dishearting. I know it's probably not the same as trying to buy a place. We eventually found a place just before Christmas. For the house that we got it was well worth the wait.

Why wouldn't they accept you?

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭Egan2012

Why wouldn't they accept you?

Because we have 7 children. I know it's a lot but even Autioneers would say to us you have a lot of traffic. That would put landlords off. I was there saying to myself what the ****. lol

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

Egan2012 wrote: »
    Because we have 7 children. I know it's a lot but even Autioneers would say to us you have a lot of traffic. That would put landlords off. I was there saying to myself what the ****. lol

I wouldn't have even told estate agents how many kids you have!? Unless of course you were viewing places with 7 kids in tow?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,427 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

I think EAs are also telling people not to put their houses up for sale until things come better. I have looked at a fair few houses and it is depressing. Making offers that are sneered at or no response received. Also people thinking their dumps are worth a fortune, its not 2005 anymore. And weird looks from EAs when you ask about simple things like broadband.
    I even looked at one house that had so many issues such as water well on neighbours land etc. As if that would ever lead to a good purchase.

There are a few houses out there that people are willing to sell but thebidding wars that start are dreadful

• Registered Users Posts: 4,400 ✭✭✭lukesmom

We were very lucky. We got the house we wanted last June and its already gone up in value by €40K.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,181 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

gaius c wrote: »

Another group of sellers are those older ones who need to move nearer towns or nearer family as they are getting old or are already sick.

I know of a couple of such sellers who had high asking prices (because that's what it was worth in the boom) and wouldn't sell for much less.
    They have now just rented out the places.

Sooner or later this group will join your above group.

I am not allowed discuss …

• Registered Users Posts: 13,181 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

lukesmom wrote: »
    We were very lucky. We got the house we wanted last June and its already gone up in value by €40K.

Glory be its 2002 all over again.
    Flip it now. :D

I am not allowed discuss …

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,581 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

lukesmom wrote: »

Did you have it valued?

Advertisement