Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

cork half/marathon

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,249 ✭✭✭slingerz

Airtel31 wrote: »
    Just wondering what to do I have this injury at the moment which is very like shin splints, I've no access to a physio as I can't afford it, with 8 weeks left everything paid for, has anyone got suggestions I'm running ok at a slow pace yesterday I did 15 mile in 2hrs 25 I'm thinking should I forget about running during the week maybe do the bike just to keep the fitness up and consentrate on the long runs at the weekend I was hoping to better last year time of 4hrs 31mins but I think at the moment I would be happy just complete it, I've tried several different insoles and even tried last years runners would grateful for advice

have you tried foam roalling for them? failing that maybe use a golf ball to work on them, gonna hurt like hell but what harm

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭Airtel31

slingerz wrote: »
    have you tried foam roalling for them? failing that maybe use a golf ball to work on them, gonna hurt like hell but what harm

Thanks will try that I've also being putting my feet into ice cold water and seem to be getting some relief

• Registered Users Posts: 1,356 ✭✭✭jaggiebunnet

19 miles done yesterday, 20 next Sunday...looking good for June!

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭physiopad

Less than 7 weeks to go
    This will be my second marathon this year. Gonna do 19miles this weekend.

Just hoping its not gonna be as hot as years sounded! :o:o

• Registered Users Posts: 653 ✭✭✭skittles8710

18 miles done Sunday..furthest distance so far. Was very tough with Connemara still in the legs but starting to get excited for June now! :)

• Advertisement

some good going there lads, struggling with half training at the moment did 7K yesterday after 13k on sunday and struggled majorly for both. Raced a 5K training run on Saturday instead of just going steady along which probably hasnt helped. Have 11.25K penciled in for this evening

• Registered Users Posts: 12 capaleen

Ran the full last year - well organised but it will always be Russian Roulette with the weather in June. Sponges were handy, just try not to wash the factor 50 into your eyes like I did.

Nothing unreasonable in terms of altitude profile but leave something in the tank for the slow climb after the Lough.

It's fairly quiet between the 3/3.15/3.30 pace groups so maybe pick one unless you fancy running on your own

It would make a fantastic marathon in the spring - one of these years they'll find themselves with the thermometer pushing 30 by noon - is it licensing issue?

capaleen wrote: »
    Ran the full last year - well organised but it will always be Russian Roulette with the weather in June. Sponges were handy, just try not to wash the factor 50 into your eyes like I did.

Nothing unreasonable in terms of altitude profile but leave something in the tank for the slow climb after the Lough.

It's fairly quiet between the 3/3.15/3.30 pace groups so maybe pick one unless you fancy running on your own

It would make a fantastic marathon in the spring - one of these years they'll find themselves with the thermometer pushing 30 by noon - is it licensing issue?

always a problem with a spring time one that there would be snow and ice on the day. to be fair that is unlikely even in June!

Agree tho a 30' temp would make it a busy day for the medical people there

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭physiopad

Yeah if it was even a few weeks earlier. Also wish this didn't have to be on the Monday of the bank holiday, surely it would be just as easy to close off the streets on the Sunday morning and we could enjoy a good night out then Sunday night without work next morning :-D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,643 ✭✭✭ThePiedPiper

Starting to feel confident of a reasonably comfortable effort now. Long runs going very well, but probably not doing any warm up race..

are there pacers in this marathon?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,610 ✭✭✭yaboya1

Was thinking about running this half until I saw the price!
    €60? Bit expensive!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭viperlogic

yaboya1 wrote: »
    €60? Bit expensive!

Early bird was €42 which was up until end of March I think. Its €52 until end of this month and then €62 afterwards, so you can still get it for €52

Starting to feel confident of a reasonably comfortable effort now. Long runs going very well, but probably not doing any warm up race..

Yes, this years pacer not announced yet but last years and here http://www.corkcitymarathon.ie/therace/pacers/2013pacers/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭Condo131

Subject to confirmation, there is a new start, within walking distance of City Hall.
    Assuming all the relevant parties sign off on the change, the course will be flatter, with the hills at Blackrock castle gone.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,182 ✭✭✭Beef

yaboya1 wrote: »
    €60? Bit expensive!

I was going to run the half too yaboya but I refuse to pay over €50 for a half marathon. Cork is a great race and the atmosphere running down Patrick Street at the finish line is brilliant but it's not good value.

Condo131 wrote: »
    Subject to confirmation, there is a new start, within walking distance of City Hall.
    Assuming all the relevant parties sign off on the change, the course will be flatter, with the hills at Blackrock castle gone.

Excellent news. Any ETA when sign off expected?

On a separate note, are they also looking to print runners names on the bibs? More and more marathons are doing this now and its great for encouragement.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,610 ✭✭✭yaboya1

Beef wrote: »
    I was going to run the half too yaboya but I refuse to pay over €50 for a half marathon. Cork is a great race and the atmosphere running down Patrick Street at the finish line is brilliant but it's not good value.

Yeah, around €30-40 is about standard I'd say.
    I only paid £22 in Larne last month and had no complaints with that race.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭belcarra

RFR - Are you staying around that night or returning to the NE?
    Usually a bit of craic for those that stay around...Although not much mention of it yet!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,340 ✭✭✭TFBubendorfer

Yes there will be pacers and as far as I know it's the same time slots as last year.

Yes there will be pacers and as far as I know it's the same time slots as last year.

will the same pacers be pacing the same time slots too?

• Advertisement

Condo131 wrote: »

is that for the full or the half or indeed both?

is that for the full or the half or indeed both?

Would be the half, as the full starts in city center on Patrick street. Also, the full doesn't go past the castle, it turns off to the right before it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,340 ✭✭✭TFBubendorfer

will the same pacers be pacing the same time slots too?

At least one of them will indeed :D

viperlogic wrote: »
    Would be the half, as the full starts in city center on Patrick street. Also, the full doesn't go past the castle, it turns off to the right before it.

Excellent it is the half that I am signed up for, the less hills the better. The last one i did in Clon last december still has me scarred from it

Excellent it is the half that I am signed up for, the less hills the better. The last one i did in Clon last december still has me scarred from it

The hill they are planning to remove is at the start and isnt that bad to be honest as v early in the race. The pulls later on are much more demanding but not as bad as clon.

The goal of the new route is mainly to avoid the bus fiasco that happened last year

viperlogic wrote: »
    The hill they are planning to remove is at the start and isnt that bad to be honest as v early in the race. The pulls later on are much more demanding but not as bad as clon.

The goal of the new route is mainly to avoid the bus fiasco that happened last year

all sounds good to me anyway!:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,643 ✭✭✭ThePiedPiper

belcarra wrote: »
    RFR - Are you staying around that night or returning to the NE?
    Usually a bit of craic for those that stay around...Although not much mention of it yet!

No, I'm heading back up the road the afternoon of the race, I've the Tuesday off work, but Mrs RFR hasn't. I'm sure I'll talk her into driving home as I'll be too drunk tired after the race and the post race rehydration. At least it's not a 3,500 mile plane journey a couple of hours after a marathon!

• Registered Users Posts: 653 ✭✭✭skittles8710

Will there be any special events the Monday night for finishers? Would love to soak up the atmosphere with some fellow runners :)

Will there be any special events the Monday night for finishers? Would love to soak up the atmosphere with some fellow runners :)

Loads of pubs and club do offers for runners, typically a free drink on showing your medal or bib etc Some do free food also

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭Airtel31

I'm struggling with a calf problem I thought it was shin splints they seemed to of cleared up, I have a half Marathon on Wednesday which I have to do I will prob walk it I think then I'm going to rest for 2 weeks do one last big run then just do small runs till race day I know I will get through it as I did 18 last week it was a struggle, I was looking to beat last years time at this stage I want to get through it as I paid for everything and have sponsorship for a charity it's a pity I would of loving to give a proper go as it's my second one

Advertisement