Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moving back to Ireland with 2 under 3 after 6 years in Australia

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭Chocolate fiend

catbear wrote: »
    Do you want you kids to be little Bretts and Kylies with Australian self assuredness or Conors and Aoifes who are globally and culturally outlooking and aware?

Plenty of both traits in my children who are Irish growing up in Australia. My children go to a very multicultural school though so by default I think this makes them more culturally aware.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭catbear

Plenty of both traits in my children who are Irish growing up in Australia. My children go to a very multicultural school though so by default I think this makes them more culturally aware.
    Good that it's working for you. The irish couples that sprogged while I was in australia were all of a mind to keep stashing the cash but move back to start the kids in school in Ireland. I guess they weren't impressed with the schools where we were.

Our kids go to the local public school, it is however one of the top schools in the state so we were lucky in that regard. The standard of education is excellent. My children are doing things in primary school that their cousins in Ireland are not doing, they have so many opportunities. In a lot of ways I guess it is swapping Cricket for GAA and Surfing for something else, I would not say any one way is better, but, we are very happy that our children are getting a high standard of eduction and are very well rounded with everything that is available to them.

Our kids go to the local public school, it is however one of the top schools in the state so we were lucky in that regard. The standard of education is excellent. My children are doing things in primary school that their cousins in Ireland are not doing, they have so many opportunities. In a lot of ways I guess it is swapping Cricket for GAA and Surfing for something else, I would not say any one way is better, but, we are very happy that our children are getting a high standard of eduction and are very well rounded with everything that is available to them.
    well I hope that keeps up for your kids.

I had to work with a lot Aussie uni grads and to be honest I found their basic levels of numeracy and literacy to be poor. They'd get by alright but the really basic skills that you'd expect weren't there.

You're right about the cricket, it was a surprise to see the likes of the CBS being big into cricket.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,811 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

Good stuff. So how does your life differ over there from what you could do here. I'd imagine with kids and work time is pretty limited.

What sort of stuff would you do at the weekend?

I find the spring/autum/winter time in Ireland pretty good. It is the summer that is really poor. Too many heavy cloud days with rain and high humidity.

I guess if you are into the outdoors the climate there suits though work colleagues in Oz didn't like the summer and generally looked forward to the spring/autumn weather.

I guess after a while you acclimatise.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 5,374 Mod ✭✭✭✭aido79

I had to work with a lot Aussie uni grads and to be honest I found their basic levels of numeracy and literacy to be poor. They'd get by alright but the really basic skills that you'd expect weren't there.

You're right about the cricket, it was a surprise to see the likes of the CBS being big into cricket.

In fairness catbear you are making generalisations there. There are people of all levels of intelligence in all countries. I have met some extremely intelligent Australians, some with above average intelligence, plenty with average intelligence, some that looked like they needed an app on their phone to remind them to breathe but the same goes for Irish people. Some of the absolute dumbest people I have ever met in my life have been Irish.

Good stuff. So how does your life differ over there from what you could do here. I'd imagine with kids and work time is pretty limited.

What sort of stuff would you do at the weekend?

I find the spring/autum/winter time in Ireland pretty good. It is the summer that is really poor. Too many heavy cloud days with rain and high humidity.

I guess if you are into the outdoors the climate there suits though work colleagues in Oz didn't like the summer and generally looked forward to the spring/autumn weather.

I guess after a while you acclimatise.

I am a stay at home parent, my husband works in the city and yes he starts pretty early but, we only live 5km from the CBD so his commute is very short. He is home between 5 and 7pm every day depending on his workload.

We do so much at the weekends, we do bushwalking (all year round, easier in winter though) we go to the beach a lot, we are spoilt for choice with beaches, we never go to Bondi etc, but, the more family friendly beaches up the coast are amazing. There are beautiful day trips we take and we do try to see as much of NSW as we can while we are here, because I am pretty sure we will return home some day. Of course there are the usual sports, Cricket at the moment, and soccer in winter. There are BBQ's and school fete's and all that sort of thing as well. We often head into the city on Sunday and walk around the Opera house and the botanic gardens, it is beautiful and because we are not "tourists" we don't feel any great need to do and see it all so we can take our time and sit and relax with an ice-cream.

I think the big difference is the amount of comfortable time we spend outdoors. We were always outdoors people back in Ireland anyway but, here it is just easier and there are far less layers needed. I don't love the summer. It is 37 degrees here today and hence we are inside and taking it easy until the late afternoon and then we will head to the beach for a swim.

I would not say it is better as such, but, it is good and we are happy. Two of the children were born in Ireland but, have no real memories of it apart from Christmas 2 years ago when we went home and they were amazed at the fact that there was one day where it did not even get bright :-)

I think with 3 children we would be out and about all the time if we were in Ireland as well, there is a lot of energy that needs to be burned off.

My husband works with mostly Australian's and there is a variance within them like there is in any group. I think education has improved greatly in the last 20 or 30 years, the primary education here is world class now, I don't think that used to be the case. There is also a HUGE amount of tutoring going on, we live in an area that has a lot of one child families, and the amount of work that the parents put in to ensure that their child WILL become a doctor is mind boggling. Those children have no time off, no holidays, no breaks at all. They are of course being tutored into how to be well rounded, so there are languages, instruments and sports. You will know those kids when you meet them, have no doubt!

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭Morshlac

remember scouring this thread for posts back in Oz...

me and wife (australian) back in Ireland under a year but already planning timescales to go back both miss our home and lifestyle in perth..
    feel its the place for us and the kids.

Peoples situations are all different though and realise both countries are what you make of it..

• Registered Users Posts: 7,811 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

I am a stay at home parent, my husband works in the city and yes he starts pretty early but, we only live 5km from the CBD so his commute is very short. He is home between 5 and 7pm every day depending on his workload.

We do so much at the weekends, we do bushwalking (all year round, easier in winter though) we go to the beach a lot, we are spoilt for choice with beaches, we never go to Bondi etc, but, the more family friendly beaches up the coast are amazing. There are beautiful day trips we take and we do try to see as much of NSW as we can while we are here, because I am pretty sure we will return home some day. Of course there are the usual sports, Cricket at the moment, and soccer in winter. There are BBQ's and school fete's and all that sort of thing as well. We often head into the city on Sunday and walk around the Opera house and the botanic gardens, it is beautiful and because we are not "tourists" we don't feel any great need to do and see it all so we can take our time and sit and relax with an ice-cream.

I think the big difference is the amount of comfortable time we spend outdoors. We were always outdoors people back in Ireland anyway but, here it is just easier and there are far less layers needed. I don't love the summer. It is 37 degrees here today and hence we are inside and taking it easy until the late afternoon and then we will head to the beach for a swim.

I would not say it is better as such, but, it is good and we are happy. Two of the children were born in Ireland but, have no real memories of it apart from Christmas 2 years ago when we went home and they were amazed at the fact that there was one day where it did not even get bright :-)

I think with 3 children we would be out and about all the time if we were in Ireland as well, there is a lot of energy that needs to be burned off.

As much as I hate the wet summers in Ireland I found the heat in the summer to be too uncomfortable. Fine if you have aircon but otherwise sleeping is a struggle. It can be hard to do stuff outside for any length of time. Granted I am not a heat person and coming from work in a trousers, shirt and shoes I was sweating trying to grab the next train.

The outdoors is lovely over there. So much fantastic coastline, beaches and blue skies. I think for a stay at home parent it must be ideal.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 5,374 Mod ✭✭✭✭aido79

Morshlac wrote: »
    remember scouring this thread for posts back in Oz...

me and wife (australian) back in Ireland under a year but already planning timescales to go back both miss our home and lifestyle in perth..
    feel its the place for us and the kids.

Peoples situations are all different though and realise both countries are what you make of it..

That's true. Everyone will have different experiences. I have 2 sets of friends who returned to Ireland from Australia, one from Sydney and one from Brisbane, fully intending on staying in Ireland for good. They both had 2 kids. They both returned to Australia this year. One set stayed for 2 years before moving back to Sydney and the other set stayed for a year before moving back to Brisbane.
    Both couples found it very hard to settle in Ireland citing numerous reasons such as weather, boredom, lack of activities for children, high cost of living compared to wages, the health system, ridiculous cost of car insurance. The only thing they seemed to like was being close to family.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 710 ✭✭✭GreenFolder2

My husband works with mostly Australian's and there is a variance within them like there is in any group. I think education has improved greatly in the last 20 or 30 years, the primary education here is world class now, I don't think that used to be the case. There is also a HUGE amount of tutoring going on, we live in an area that has a lot of one child families, and the amount of work that the parents put in to ensure that their child WILL become a doctor is mind boggling. Those children have no time off, no holidays, no breaks at all. They are of course being tutored into how to be well rounded, so there are languages, instruments and sports. You will know those kids when you meet them, have no doubt!

Happens in Ireland too - stuffed into expensive "grind schools" after school or full time.
    I encountered a mother of a 5 year old talking about CAO points. By the time her daughter goes to university the CAO might not even exist...

It's all private or public school of music style music lessons, sports, etc etc etc

You just don't notice it as much when you're younger. I think it's when you hit the age when your friends are suddenly parents that you start to see how education obsessed both countries are.

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭Morshlac

aido79 wrote: »
    . They both had 2 kids. They both returned to Australia this year. One set stayed for 2 years before moving back to Sydney and the other set stayed for a year before moving back to Brisbane.
    Both couples found it very hard to settle in Ireland citing numerous reasons such as weather, boredom, lack of activities for children, high cost of living compared to wages, the health system, ridiculous cost of car insurance. The only thing they seemed to like was being close to family.

interesting post...you'd swear reading the Irish Times Abroad pages everyone returing for good in there droves...and anyone who hasn't yet  has a deep longing to every 5 minutes...if only for a packet of cheese and onion taytos!
    this is all u read online and makes sense people that e.g. end up leaving ireland a 2nd time would be more quiet about it..
    but if u look through this thread there's some negative views on Australia and how can't replace Ireland. but read the actual people stories that are recounted mostly people who tried ireland and move back, or want to move back!

We have 2 young kids and were in Oz and now Ireland, so can speak from both sides of coin.
    We always planned and wife always wanted to go back to Perth, but surprised at how quickly I'm feeling happy to go back there tbh.
    and yup u've mentioned a lot of the reasons above among others.......find myself already looking forward to life back over

The family thing is a big one largely for people wherre both partners are irish, and i think in this case in can make up for other things

but if u reading this from abroad like i was remember that a lot of what you've built up your missing out on may be in your head or the past......the grass is always greener..

I just wish it wasn't so expensive for 5 of us travel home for a holiday. It's almost cheaper to move home than it is to holiday for a month there.

Morshlac wrote: »
    ......the grass is always greener..
    Well that's a fact, the grass is greener in Ireland. Some serious bushfires break out in Perth suburbs. I remember 60 homes gone in an hour up near mundaring! An average day in Ireland killed no one but an average day in Perth is has a extensive menu of ways to go!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 amandakeaveney

Hi there,

Just wondering if you moved back to Ireland? Me and my fiancé moved back from Cairns last year, we have two kids under 3. I'm interested to see how ye are getting on. 😀

Advertisement