Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advantages Of Being Irish ?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 29,294 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

On holiday, if the locals hear the English Language, first thought can usally be something derogatory towards the British, until you say where you are from, then its like that Carlsberg Ad, 'ah your Irish'.

I even get away with this when abroad with my English Accent. Having an Irish Passport definitely does help as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,805 ✭✭✭CrabRevolution

For some reason we're one of only a few countries in the world whose citizens don't need a Visa to visit Uganda.

A rarely excercised privilage i'd imagine, but a privilage nonetheless.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

It's ok to get super hammered, everyone expects you to be drunk.

• Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭diograis

For some reason we're one of only a few countries in the world whose citizens don't need a Visa to visit Uganda.

eat da poo poo? might join the ugandan task force on homosexuality for the craic so

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭Faith+1

Wtf?? Thats a good one!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,805 ✭✭✭CrabRevolution

Should probably have said 'outside of African ones', took most of the African countries as a given really. All the countries outside Africa are little random Islands and microstates, plus a few stragglers like Jamaica, Cyprus, Belize and us.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 Vendettaxx

Hahaha Irish men are looked for way more than Irish women. Irish women are seen as masculine and trashy.

There's a reason there's way more successful Irish male celebrities than Irish female. I'm from the North but Irish ethnically and handsome as fcuk.

Irish women = easy shag, nothing more. Never gonna marry one.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,459 ✭✭✭Chucken

Vendettaxx wrote: »

Irish women = easy shag, nothing more. Never gonna marry one.

Aw thats a pity! I'd say they're queuing up for you to ask the question.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16 Vendettaxx

Of all the things that's spouted on here, insulting Irish women gets you an infraction. Insulting Irish people is fine in pretty much every thread (including this one), but insulting Irish women? Infraction.
    Chucken wrote: »
    Aw thats a pity! I'd say they're queuing up for you to ask the question.

They do get clingey.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭Mint Aero

Huge advantage. Everyone loves us thanks to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,822 ✭✭✭Mickey H

My all round general ruggedness and my ability to skin a sheep with my teeth.

Classy Burd. :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Fuzzy wrote: »
    We are well known all over the world, even in small villages in countries you have never heard of, they've heard of Ireland.
    Visas are easy to get for almost everywhere.
    We haven't invaded anywhere unlike many other first world countries, so there's no resentment there.
    Around 80 million people outside of Ireland have Irish blood, so there are often links with other countries that can come in useful.
    We have a cachet of legitimacy about us for some reason.

I've been to 34 countries, and I can't count the amount of times being Irish has proven some small advantage.

Australia says G'Day!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭astonaidan

Advantages to being Irish abroad
    • You get the benefit of doubt for any laboring job, never questioned about what tools your able to use
    • If you say you can drive a digger thats good enough, infact I was told to go drive one without even being asked, supposedly everyone knows someone with a digger and have learned
    • Getting wasted isnt held against you in any way
    • Everyone loves you accent
    • Were great craic and charming as ****

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,336 ✭✭✭wendell borton

So that €4m wasn't a total waste.

• Registered Users Posts: 466 ✭✭browne_rob5

I was travelling in Uganda recently and noticed this. It was a nice surprise as it saved me $50!

Does anybody know why we don't need a Visa?

They also call their potatoes, 'Irish potatoes'!

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,427 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

I'd say those year old potatoes are kinda dodgy to eat!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 423 ✭✭The Bould Rabbit

Fuzzy wrote: »
    We are well known all over the world, even in small villages in countries you have never heard of, they've heard of Ireland.
    Visas are easy to get for almost everywhere.
    We haven't invaded anywhere unlike many other first world countries, so there's no resentment there.
    Around 80 million people outside of Ireland have Irish blood, so there are often links with other countries that can come in useful.
    We have a cachet of legitimacy about us for some reason.

I've been to 34 countries, and I can't count the amount of times being Irish has proven some small advantage.

Not my experience to be honest.

I've noticed that most people east of Athens, south of Gibraltar and west of Clifden have never heard of Ireland, let alone be able to locate the place on a map.

Obviously some of those with an Irish ancestry could.

But most of the world, the vast majority in fact, couldn't give a toss about us.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,058 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

I've pulled a fair share of American birds and they all said my accent was a major factor.

Advertisement