Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2014 Cooking Club Week 2: Chilli Beef with Noodles

Options
  • 17-01-2014 12:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭

Amazing stuff last week from GrahamThomas, let's just hope I can keep the standard as high. Best of luck to everyone else in the coming weeks looking forward to them :)

Chilli Beef with Noodles

Ingredients:
    1-1.5 lbs sirloin steak cut into thin strips
    18-20 Basil Leaves
    2-3 tbsp Veg. Oil
    2 tbsp Mirin or Dry Sherry
    12-16 oz Noodles

Marinade:
    2-3 large fresh red chillies, de-seeded and chopped
    4 Garlic Cloves
    1 tsp chopped fresh root ginger
    2 tbsp thai fish sauce
    1 tsp sugar
    2 tbsp freshly squeezed lemon or lime juice
    2 tbsp groundnut or peanut oil
    salt and black pepper

Method:
    Put all the ingredients for the marinade into a blender and blitz until smooth.
    289174.JPG
    (if you're feeling lazy, you can always fire everything into the blender just make sure it's all blended)
    Transfer to a bowl , chop the basil leaves and mix in. Add the beef to this and marinade for 2 hours, (overnight would be better).
    289170.jpg
    Heat the oil in a wok and stir fry the beef for 3-4 mins over a high heat. At the same time add the noodles to a pot of boiling water.
    289175.JPG
    Splash the mirin over it then continue for another 1 more minute.
    289171.jpeg
    Adjust seasoning with salt and pepper. Serve on a bed of noodles
    289173.jpeg
    Enjoy, this can also be made with chicken but it tastes so much nicer with the beef. If you have a nut allergy vegetable oil is perfect to substitute instead of the nut based oil. Finally the processed "fresh" garlic, chilli and ginger you can get in the squeezy tubes work to an extent but the flavour is so much more intense when you use the fresh ingredients.

Hope everyone enjoys,
    Bon Appetite

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,057 ✭✭✭MissFlitworth

That looks like an epic mid week meal option! Now to convince my partner he likes chili. Or just to make it for myself and he can have beans on toast

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,655 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

I can't see your pictures :(. But it sounds delish!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭JamesReeves

That looks like an epic mid week meal option! Now to convince my partner he likes chili. Or just to make it for myself and he can have beans on toast

It's spicy but it's not over powering.. and it's so fast if you've the marinade made the night before which takes less than 5 minutes the cooking takes similiar, the longest part is the washing up

Faith wrote: »
    I can't see your pictures :(. But it sounds delish!
    Hey Faith,

Think I may have it sorted now, I reattached all the pics again ?

BTW just would like to sat thanks again for the opportunity to post a recipe :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,057 ✭✭✭MissFlitworth

Hey Faith,

I can see them now! Looks so good.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,108 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

That looks fab! I can see your pics too now :)

• Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭Kurumba

Could you leave the sherry out do you think? Would it make a big difference? I don't think i could justify buying a full bottle!

Kurumba wrote: »
    Could you leave the sherry out do you think? Would it make a big difference? I don't think i could justify buying a full bottle!

I just use the Mirin, it's about 3 euro or less in Tesco, but I'm sure it wouldn't make much of a difference if ya left it out :)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,655 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Hey Faith,

That's perfect now!

I've been looking for a recipe with sherry in it for ages, since the OH's dad 'donated' a bottle, so I'll definitely make this :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,273 ✭✭✭Curry Addict

i can see a really nice balance in this.
    cant wait to try it :pac:

what was your inspiration for the recipe, it looks jap/thai?

• Advertisement

i can see a really nice balance in this.
    cant wait to try it :pac:

what was your inspiration for the recipe, it looks jap/thai?

it's a recipe a friend passed on at the end of last year and since then i've made it prob one a fortnight as it's so quick to make and for the effort you put in the return is just amazing :D

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Looks great. Can't wait to try it.

Quick Q. When you're cooking the beef do you put all the marinade into the pan as well?

BaZmO* wrote: »
    Looks great. Can't wait to try it.

Quick Q. When you're cooking the beef do you put all the marinade into the pan as well?

Yeah I put it all in and it makes a little sauce for it otherwise it can be a little dry. What I did last night was take out the beef and cook an onion in the liquid and then add back the beef so it's not overcooked and it was delicious :)

• Moderators Posts: 24,367 ✭✭✭✭ChewChew

Awe man that looks amazing!! Definitely will be one I'll make soon! Thanks op.

• Registered Users Posts: 606 ✭✭✭GrahamThomas

Definitely going to give this a try during the week! Quick question, how many people would this recipe serve?

3/4 people :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭juke

Meat is marinading at present. Looking forward to this tonight :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭juke

Poor photo, but I was in a hurry, I was starving :pac:

7n68Zy_thumb.jpg

I used 3 chillies - was spicy, just enough for my palate.
    As I don't do noodles (stupid gluten intolerance) I served it with a stuffed pepper.

Really good, Thank OP :)

juke wrote: »
    Poor photo, but I was in a hurry, I was starving :pac:

7n68Zy_thumb.jpg

I used 3 chillies - was spicy, just enough for my palate.
    As I don't do noodles (stupid gluten intolerance) I served it with a stuffed pepper.

Really good, Thank OP :)

Awh looks brilliant :) glad ya liked it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

Two questions:

1: What's mirin? :o

2: Would you leave the chicken marinading overnight? Or is a few hours before sufficient for chicken?

Oh, and can't wait to try it.

• Advertisement
  • Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,791 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

Tom Dunne wrote: »
    Japanese rice wine. Could be hard to come by in certain... sandy places.

Tom Dunne wrote: »
    Two questions:

2: Would you leave the chicken marinading overnight? Or is a few hours before sufficient for chicken?

Oh, and can't wait to try it.

Mirin is a sweet rice wine lower alcohol content than normal rice wine, I get the bottle in Tesco it's less than 3 euro,

Made this with chicken once and I made it in the morning and had it that evening and it was perfect, so a few hours before should do the trick :)

• Moderators Posts: 24,367 ✭✭✭✭ChewChew

Made this tonight. Very tasty dish and I will certainly be making it more!!!

7e4qX6.jpg

ChewChew wrote: »
    Made this tonight. Very tasty dish and I will certainly be making it more!!!

Looks delicious :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,858 ✭✭✭homemadecider

Oh that looks delicious. I'm making this on Wednesday with pork instead of beef, and with veg instead of noodles. Will report back!

Update: Have the meat marinading now. It stinks but that's because I always think fish sauce smells awful before it's cooked! I wasn't clear when the basil leaves go in (did you forget them in your cooking photos?) so I chucked them into the marinade.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭peteb2

Can you freeze it? And re-use? Only two of us and don't want to be wasteful!

Oh that looks delicious. I'm making this on Wednesday with pork instead of beef, and with veg instead of noodles. Will report back!

Update: Have the meat marinading now. It stinks but that's because I always think fish sauce smells awful before it's cooked! I wasn't clear when the basil leaves go in (did you forget them in your cooking photos?) so I chucked them into the marinade.

Hey yeah I didn't have them so left them out but shredded up in with the marinade is perfect... Hope ya enjoy :)

peteb2 wrote: »
    Can you freeze it? And re-use? Only two of us and don't want to be wasteful!

I'd just use enough steak and noodles that you need for two people, that way there is more of the liquid to serve with the two that will eat it and it is really good with more of a sauce to soak up the noodles

• Registered Users Posts: 1,858 ✭✭✭homemadecider

We had this for dinner tonight, it was GORGEOUS. My very discerning fiance gave it 10/10.

We had pork instead of beef, and a mix of veg (carrot, courgette and broccoli) instead of noodles. Will definitely make again, thanks so much OP!

IMAG1430_zps91d39a55.jpg

• Advertisement

We had this for dinner tonight, it was GORGEOUS. My very discerning fiance gave it 10/10.

We had pork instead of beef, and a mix of veg (carrot, courgette and broccoli) instead of noodles. Will definitely make again, thanks so much OP!

Wow looks so amazing I might add in the broccoli and carrots next time I make it. I'll just take the beef out first so it's not overcooked.

Thanks for trying it and for your nice comment :)

Advertisement