Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

York Vinyl Weights.

Options
  • 17-01-2014 3:08am
    Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭

Out of stock everywhere. anywhere else that sells them?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,559 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

TheCoolWay wrote: »

Anywhere other than everywhere?

I'm going to go out on a limb and say no.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,502 ✭✭✭runawaybishop

TheCoolWay wrote: »

Any reason why you don't want iron weights? They are far better.

• Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭EpiphoneSpecial

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

tbh you're best to avoid vinyl
    they're take up way too much space and cannot give them away if you ever want to get rid of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,373 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

I have never seen vinyl being recommended, ever.

Vinyl weights degrade over time, you can fit feck all weight on dumbbells as they are so bulky they just do not physically fit on. The barbells they come with are usually hollow and so bend with anything past around 60kg.

I would be looking to get a second hand cast iron set for the same money.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 803 ✭✭✭Rough Sleeper

I wouldn't recommend getting vinyl weights. I don't want to sound negative but I think that the majority of fitness endeavours beginning with cheap York dumbbells aren't destined for success. Sure, you can add a little meat on the arms initially, but you'll soon find out that 40-rep shoulder presses aren't particularly stimulating or conducive to consistency in the long term. I have a set I bought when I was 16 (as did about 75% of male teenagers who had the transient notion that they were going to take up "doing weights") and they're actually quite useful for light accessory work and stability stuff, but only alongside my heavy-ass olympic weight set, without which they wouldn't be much good.

If you want to build up your upper body a bit, a better option would be to buy a pullup bar and do some pushup variations.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 642 ✭✭✭viper006

I completely agree with the above.. While more affordable they are terrible to use when i bought them for a home mini gym. They are much to large and fat in size and take up too much storage space .

Be careful also how to weight in broken down in different size weights, the 2.5 discs are so fat its hard to even fit a good weight on the dumbell. Honestly avoid, not worth it at all.

There are so great bargains on used weights on donedeal and adverts!!

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭TheCoolWay

Great I just bought some today only logged into boards now *facepalm*

I had a few already so just wanted some more to add to the set.

My attitude I guess is buy them cheap if I seriously get into them after a few months i'll flog them for half nothing and get a better set.

Got a strong bench so that's a good foundation :p

• Registered Users Posts: 32,373 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

If its argos you could bring them back no bother.

If you did upgrade the cast iron would hold its value better, in fact I reckon I could sell mine for more than what I paid new, as the price of steel has gone up, its almost like investing in precious metals.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,502 ✭✭✭runawaybishop

Argos will only take them back if you have the packaging. It doesn't take much vinyl to fill the bar, far better off with metal weights.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,239 ✭✭✭✭endacl

rubadub wrote: »

If you did upgrade the cast iron would hold its value better, in fact I reckon I could sell mine for more than what I paid new, as the price of steel has gone up, its almost like investing in precious metals.

Pension plan!

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭TheCoolWay

rubadub wrote: »

Second hand

Advertisement