Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Irish Railways Video Thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

I found Eiretrains video on youtube over the weekend. Amazing footage and great to have. Hope he doesn't mind me posting it here.

• Registered Users Posts: 308 ✭✭angelIRL

Some more videos from the 'Emerald Isle Explorer' in County Kerry:

85 passing through Farranfore on 22 June doing the return leg of the local trip to Tralee:

85 crossing the Quagmire Viaduct on 23 June heading for Waterford:

F.

• Registered Users Posts: 308 ✭✭angelIRL

Evening,

Some footage of the weedsprayer on the South Wexford Line last week:

Finbarr.

• Registered Users Posts: 268 ✭✭Eiretrains

I found Eiretrains video on youtube over the weekend. Amazing footage and great to have. Hope he doesn't mind me posting it here.
    No not all, appreciate that plug, have to say I didn't shoot that particular video as credited :) If you wish to keep up to date with new videos on my channel do subscribe.

Here is the latest offering of 'Merlin' of more very recent times :)

• Registered Users Posts: 479 ✭✭C4Kid

2015 Weedsprayer Train to East Cork Footage

https://youtu.be/sN1Np_IEDTw

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭ClovenHoof

• Registered Users Posts: 479 ✭✭C4Kid

Cobh Road HOBS this week
    : https://youtu.be/iGKGD221tzk

An 071 and 201 top and tailing, that's a new one.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,295 ✭✭✭n97 mini

Eiretrains wrote: »
    No not all, appreciate that plug, have to say I didn't shoot that particular video as credited :) If you wish to keep up to date with new videos on my channel do subscribe.

Here is the latest offering of 'Merlin' of more very recent times :)

Did I see this train this evening around 6.45pm in Connolly?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,752 ✭✭✭flyingsnail

n97 mini wrote: »
    Did I see this train this evening around 6.45pm in Connolly?

The carriages yes but the loco was number 4 rather than 85 pictured above.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,962 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

Some action from yesterday's foray to Kilkenny. It's in HD and if you have good sound then let it play out and enjoy the acoustic :)

And a more mundane video of a Mark 4 set pushed into Heuston by 215.

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭Seanmk1

Some action from yesterday's foray to Kilkenny. It's in HD and if you have good sound then let it play out and enjoy the acoustic :)

Great sound, a nice video, thanks.

No. 4 sounds like it's giving it a good old bash. Even a baby GM would struggle to lift nine coaches up the gullet.

Seanmk1 wrote: »
    Great sound, a nice video, thanks.

No. 4 sounds like it's giving it a good old bash. Even a baby GM would struggle to lift nine coaches up the gullet.

A baby would have lifted them handily enough. In their day just the one loco would have taken many mainline services and with up to 12 carriages behind her. Over time the problems were not so much in tractive power to hand (It was an issue, granted.) but in stopping the set as GM brake pressure wasn't great; this is why pairs became the default configuration for class 121/141/181.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,925 ✭✭✭GM228

A baby would have lifted them handily enough. In their day just the one loco would have taken many mainline services and with up to 12 carriages behind her. Over time the problems were not so much in tractive power to hand (It was an issue, granted.) but in stopping the set as GM brake pressure wasn't great; this is why pairs became the default configuration for class 121/141/181.

Double heading became the norm to increase performance and punctuality and because they were underpowered for many of the jobs on their own.

There were never issues with them stoping a train, a single 121/141/181 was actually better stoping a train than a 071 as the locos themselves have a better brake force than an 071! Brake pressure does not affect stoping a train!

However what they had problems with was releasing air brakes (vacuum wasn't a problem) on anything over 7 or 8 wagons/carriages when single, never really an issue as anything air brake wise usually needed double heading when on the mainline due to the weight.

The Heuston pilot however often had problems shunting 9 car MkIII sets and you would regularly see the shunter manually releasing the brakes on the carriages to speed things up.

GM228

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭5rtytry56

Opportunistically recorded at Kildare Station Wednesday 9th September

I might just resurrect this thread with some 071 Class footage, shot during the summer showing PWD and freight trains. :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭metrovick001

• Registered Users Posts: 39,437 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

You have to admire cies optimism.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭5rtytry56

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    You have to admire cies optimism.
    And the Wonderful Plan for Tuam train station, at that time serving the Siúcra beet factory there.

• Advertisement

Two more videos, many more 071 Class locomotives recorded in action in 2015.:cool:
    (Part Two)

And (Part Three)

Also I know nostalgia is great but christ some of the track from galway to portarlington was in bad shape.

Edit:At least it looks in bad shape.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,075 ✭✭✭✭Grandeeod

Cheers. Really enjoying this. Rode the line in 94/95 very very regularly. I remember the introduction of the Cu na Mara not long before this video was made. Interesting to see how bad the track was then.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,075 ✭✭✭✭Grandeeod

Some classic stuff from the originator of this video.

Grandeeod wrote: »
    Some classic stuff from the originator of this video.
    Yeah some classic cab rides alright.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭ClovenHoof

The Galway cab ride is amazing. Would love to see it sharpened up and stabilised with the locations of the stations on it.

The Connolly to Belfast one amazed me. Looking at the south end of Drogheda I didn't know there were sidings to the right before the station were the DMU depot is now, also how much the Dundalk station area has changed.

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭xtradel

ClovenHoof wrote: »
    The Galway cab ride is amazing. Would love to see it sharpened up and stabilised with the locations of the stations on it.

The Wicklow to Rosslare Harbour video from the same uploader appears to be stabilised so maybe drop him a message to do the Galway mail as well if possible.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,089 ✭✭✭RikkFlair

Some old footage of the North Kerry line in first 10 mins of this. (starts about 02.30)

Advertisement