Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Masters of Taxation

Options
  • 16-01-2014 7:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭

Hi guys,
    I am just wondering about this. Has anyone on here done it? I am a final year Corporate Law student and wondering if this would benefit a law student in the future? Is it a good qualification to have going abroad, New York for example?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 659 ✭✭✭yenom

Are the job prospects with this any good?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,298 ✭✭✭freyners

rory16 wrote: »
    Hi guys,
    I am just wondering about this. Has anyone on here done it? I am a final year Corporate Law student and wondering if this would benefit a law student in the future? Is it a good qualification to have going abroad, New York for example?

Im currently doing it so if you have any questions let me know

Its a tough course and its Irish taxes mainly so if you looking to go abroad if would be on a company's Irish tax desk

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭rory16

Is it tough content wise yea? Do you know what the job prospects are like from it? I am also wondering if it would be beneficial to a law student looking to pursue a career in the the law field

rory16 wrote: »
    Is it tough content wise yea? Do you know what the job prospects are like from it? I am also wondering if it would be beneficial to a law student looking to pursue a career in the the law field

It tough content wise for sure. Tax is quite a technical subject and you need to be familiar with your legislation (which are allowed to be taken into exams). Interpretation is the majority of the work involved, especially in word heavy subjects such as VAT.

Job prospects I can only gleen from my year, this is only the second year of our course and I don't know anyone in the previous year:o. Some of our class are being sent on this course by our employers (Big 4 firms in the accounting profession, plus some law firms and smaller a/c firms) Of those who dont have a position beforehand most seem to have done well in interview and secured a place. Job prospects are very good as long as your willing to go to Dublin, working in more regional areas such as Limerick/Galway is tough to get but a good few on our course have got them. Internationally Tax is a very country specific subject and if your looking to go abroad it will be a firm that does Irish tax work that you should target.

Law wise I know tax is an area a few law firms have an active interest in, for example,William fry are the irish branch of Taxand. I did law and accounting as my undergrad and preferred accounting over law so I dont have much interest in what jobs are available in the law profession. Best bet is to talk to a few firm recruiters and see what they feel about it.

The course is very new, saying that its backed by an extremely competent group of lecturers and a very driven course head. Learning from them has been a pleasure so far for the most part. I would recommend talking to Dr. Elaine Doyle, the course head, before you make any decision. It certainly helped me make my decision when choosing the tax masters over a masters in accounting. If you have any further questions just ask.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,086 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

How much of you overall grade does the thesis make up? Considering doing this next year also.

• Advertisement

ryanf1 wrote: »
    How much of you overall grade does the thesis make up? Considering doing this next year also.

Thesis is worth 30 credits, each semester is also worth 30 credits so a third overall

• Registered Users Posts: 4 BrefSpill

freyners wrote: »
    It tough content wise for sure. Tax is quite a technical subject and you need to be familiar with your legislation (which are allowed to be taken into exams). Interpretation is the majority of the work involved, especially in word heavy subjects such as VAT.

Job prospects I can only gleen from my year, this is only the second year of our course and I don't know anyone in the previous year:o. Some of our class are being sent on this course by our employers (Big 4 firms in the accounting profession, plus some law firms and smaller a/c firms) Of those who dont have a position beforehand most seem to have done well in interview and secured a place. Job prospects are very good as long as your willing to go to Dublin, working in more regional areas such as Limerick/Galway is tough to get but a good few on our course have got them. Internationally Tax is a very country specific subject and if your looking to go abroad it will be a firm that does Irish tax work that you should target.

Law wise I know tax is an area a few law firms have an active interest in, for example,William fry are the irish branch of Taxand. I did law and accounting as my undergrad and preferred accounting over law so I dont have much interest in what jobs are available in the law profession. Best bet is to talk to a few firm recruiters and see what they feel about it.

The course is very new, saying that its backed by an extremely competent group of lecturers and a very driven course head. Learning from them has been a pleasure so far for the most part. I would recommend talking to Dr. Elaine Doyle, the course head, before you make any decision. It certainly helped me make my decision when choosing the tax masters over a masters in accounting. If you have any further questions just ask.

Hey Guys I am thinking of doing this course but heard that it is effectively a retirement home for law and accounting students!! I am currently finishing business and am afraid that I would be lost in this course without having studied law. In particular I heard that the tax law module is very difficult even for law students. Any advice much appreciated.

Advertisement