Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Landlord to raise rent

Options
  • 16-01-2014 5:38pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 253 ✭✭

Hi all
    I have a feeling my landlord is going to raise my rent soon as a knee jerk response to articles in the newspapers.

with my wages not being increased and water charges on the horizon, plus the cost of living in general still being very high, I need pointers in how to maybe make a case or is there even a legal standpoint I can make?

Signed a 6 month lease

Can he raise it after 6 months?
    Where can I get the "market rate" for my room in my area?

any other bits of info that will help please pass it on

I don't really want to move

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 484 ✭✭Eldarion

He can only raise it once in every 12 months period and it has to be in line with similar properties in the area. I'm not certain but I think if this is in your first 6 months and not just a lease renewal then he can't raise it from the original agreed upon rent until 12 months has elapsed.

Property sites(daft.ie/rent.ie) are a good indication of the going rents, just pop in your area and type of dwelling.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 253 ✭✭saucers82

it will be a lease renewal.

I know daft will give the going rate, but is there an official market rate for e.g. a 2 bed house in North Dublin. rather than go on what greedy landlords are chancing there arms asking?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,238 ✭✭✭✭djimi

You have 28 days (from the time you receive the written notification) to decide what to do about any rental increase, so there is time to discuss the matter with the landlord and maybe try and negotiate a smaller increase.

thanks.

that's why I want to be armed with information e.g. market rates

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,876 ✭✭✭Scortho

saucers82 wrote: »

I know daft will give the going rate, but is there an official market rate for e.g. a 2 bed house in North Dublin. rather than go on what greedy landlords are chancing there arms asking?

Nope because a 2 bed in malahide will be more than a 2 bed in swords.

• Advertisement

Id clarify that with Threshold/PRTB. The law states one rent review in a 12 month period; Ive always taken that to mean that no review can happen in the first 12 months (regardless of the type of lease), but it would be worth getting a second opinion on that.

There is no blanket going rate as such. The law states that the rent cannot be raised above market rate, which is defined as the rent that the landlord would receive if the property was put back on the market. Basically, if they wouldnt get the increased amount from a new tenant then they are not entitled to ask for that amount from you.

Daft.ie should give you a good indication of the rents of similar properties in your area. Its not an exact science; obviously properties differ and demand will play a big part, but if the rent that you are being asked for is €100 more than the average for your area then its pretty unlikely that the landlord would get this from a new tenant.

If you decide to dispute it then you can raise a case with the PRTB. You may continue to pay the current rent while waiting on the case to be heard (could be months), but if the PRTB rule against you then you must backpay the difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,364 ✭✭✭Ray Palmer

Maybe you are a greedy tenant who want rent below the market rate! If the rate is within market rates then it is you being greedy looking for cheap rent.

Just because your salary hasn't risen it does mean the rent should suit you the same way when rents go down the LL can't keep his rent high to cover his costs.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,528 ✭✭✭gaius c

Why are you signing a new lease?
    After six months, you are covered under part IV.

Ray Palmer wrote: »
    Maybe you are a greedy tenant who want rent below the market rate! If the rate is within market rates then it is you being greedy looking for cheap rent.

Just because your salary hasn't risen it does mean the rent should suit you the same way when rents go down the LL can't keep his rent high to cover his costs.

so basically we should not take on board what happened in 2007?

and allow "notions" to dictate?

I am not greedy, I am realistic and it's not just me, a lot of salaries have been frozen for many years now

I refuse to be taken advantage of because some article in the irish times

gaius c wrote: »
    Why are you signing a new lease?
    After six months, you are covered under part IV.

it's a houseshare, I picked up the last 6 months of the original tenants lease
    therefore.

the other tenant will finish his 12 months when I come to the end of my 6 month

• Advertisement

I am not greedy, I am realistic and it's not just me, a lot of salaries have been frozen for many years now

Its got nothing to do with greed. Renting is a business and your landlord is a businessman, and like any good businessman ultimately they are out to maximize their return from their business. Why they raise the rent is irrelevant; the bottom line is the legally they are entitled to raise according to rising rents in the area.

I say this as a tenant. The sooner you come to terms with this the better. Its not personal, its just the nature of the business, same as any other.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,235 ✭✭✭returnNull

eh?? what makes you think the LL reads the times or indeed any other paper?

If he's anyway on the ball he'll know he can raise the rent as long as its inline with the going market rate for the area.

Having said that find out if he can raise after only 6 months.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,364 ✭✭✭Ray Palmer

therefore.

Then he can raise the rent as you took over an existing year lease you didn't really sign a 6 month lease legally.

Rents have risen in Dublin nothing to do with the Irish Times article. It has also nothing to do with 2007 or notions. You have no special standing because your salary hasn't gone up rent has. You should may realise using words like "greed" because rent has gone up isn't accurate or appropriate. You know nothing of the LL finances

• Registered Users Posts: 2,809 ✭✭✭edanto

For actual rents being paid, it might be better to consult the PRTB rent index.

http://www.prtb.ie/landlords/rent-index

With daft etc, you never really know if properties are going at asking or below. True - there seems to be upwards pressure on rents at the moment, but the PRTB index is based on actual rents and nothing else, and you can examine various property types in your area.

edanto wrote: »
    For actual rents being paid, it might be better to consult the PRTB rent index.

http://www.prtb.ie/landlords/rent-index

With daft etc, you never really know if properties are going at asking or below. True - there seems to be upwards pressure on rents at the moment, but the PRTB index is based on actual rents and nothing else, and you can examine various property types in your area.

That PRTB index is too general to be accurate. It has the average rent for my area down as €730 for a two bed apartment, but Id be laughed out of it if I tried to argue that I should be paying €730 for my apartment.

Daft isnt exactly accurate either, but its a pretty good guide, especially for healthier rental markets where you can be pretty much certain that landlords will get asking price or pretty close to it.

therefore.

Ah fair enough. Landlord is entitled to review the rent no matter what you do then and you are entitled to contest that (through the PRTB) if you think it's a higher than market rent increase.

I have no problem with an increase, I know there is a resurgence and a lot of demand.
    But I know my landlord, he will not take the sensible route I think. He will go for a massive hike, despite no real upgrades to the house to justify. It happened to a mate who lives close by. Landlord upped his monthly rent by 75euro and said take it or leave it! (he is living there 4 years!)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,316 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

75euro and said take it or leave it! (he is living there 4 years!)

€75 is not a massive amount if the rent is say €1,000 per month. Context is everything. How long he is living there is irrelevant.
    If you have no problem with an increase then once that increase is reasonable then there is no issue. What is reasonable is a vague concept and would depend on what rent you pay versus the market rate. There is some flexibility on what the PRTB would consider to be the market rate too so an appeal to them may not yield the results you expect.
    I would advise you, should the hypothetical increase materialise, try and negotiate with the LL to something you are both happy with. If not then feel free to appeal to the PRTB or move out.

Your 'greedy landlord' comment is probably not helping your situation. If you are under that belief (which would suggest maybe it is you who has been believing everything they read in the paper) then it is unlikely that any increase will be acceptable to you as you are looking at your contract with your LL on an emotional level rather than the business agreement that it is.

€75 per tenant (4 tenants) = €300

I have no problem with an increase, I know there is a resurgence and a lot of demand.
    But I know my landlord, he will not take the sensible route I think. He will go for a massive hike, despite no real upgrades to the house to justify. It happened to a mate who lives close by. Landlord upped his monthly rent by 75euro and said take it or leave it! (he is living there 4 years!)

They dont have to justify the raise, and they dont have to step up the rent in stages either. So long as the increased rent falls within market rates, that is all that matters.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,129 ✭✭✭lau1247

€75 per tenant (4 tenants) = €300

if that is too much, why didn't they move to another place in the same locale?? Chances are the price difference would be minimal and the hassle of moving Vs. the increase would not be worth it. Otherwise your friend would have moved

West Dublin, ☀️ 7.83kWp ⚡5.66 kWp South West, ⚡2.18 kWp North East

djimi wrote: »
    They dont have to justify the raise, and they dont have to step up the rent in stages either. So long as the increased rent falls within market rates, that is all that matters.

so back to my orignal question :)

thanks for the info about PRTB sample rates and Daft etc.
    I accept use of the word "greedy" probably gave off the wrong impression

I just ain't going to be taken for a sucker. point of the post was to figure out the best way to present info to the LL if he goes mad with a raise
    (raising it back to its 2007 level)

just a critical time for me in my savings as I am getting close to a deposit and I suppose that's where the emotional part came in. Feeling the pressure that things are going to spiral out of control again. Once bitten....

If the landlord raises the rent then the first thing that you need to do is some research into the rents in your area and try and judge if the raise falls within legal limits. If it doesnt, then you can dispute it with the PRTB.

If the raise is legal, then your next step is to sit down with the landlord and try and negotiate. They might be willing to meet you half way. If you cant find a level that you are happy with, then you give your notice and you leave.

Above all, you need to leave the emotion out of it. The landlord is entitled to review the rent once a year, and they can increase to meet market rates without having to justify this to the tenant. Keep your head at all times, and remember its not personal. Also remember, its in the landlords interest to keep you in the property also as vacant time costs them money, as does things like registering new tenants etc, so there is every possibility that they will be open to negotiation.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭3DataModem

Ray Palmer wrote: »
    You have no special standing because your salary hasn't gone up rent has.

If a tenant gave me this line I'd happily offer to forsake the rent increase for salary-linked increases in future years. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭3DataModem

djimi wrote: »
    Above all, you need to leave the emotion out of it. The landlord is entitled to review the rent once a year, and they can increase to meet market rates without having to justify this to the tenant. Keep your head at all times, and remember its not personal. Also remember, its in the landlords interest to keep you in the property also as vacant time costs them money, as does things like registering new tenants etc, so there is every possibility that they will be open to negotiation.

This is true, and well expressed. The bold part is very important; however there are many pig-headed landlords who just refuse to get below what they think is market rate.

so back to my orignal question :)

thanks for the info about PRTB sample rates and Daft etc.
    I accept use of the word "greedy" probably gave off the wrong impression

I just ain't going to be taken for a sucker. point of the post was to figure out the best way to present info to the LL if he goes mad with a raise
    (raising it back to its 2007 level)

just a critical time for me in my savings as I am getting close to a deposit and I suppose that's where the emotional part came in. Feeling the pressure that things are going to spiral out of control again. Once bitten....
    Rents have gone up (in Dublin & Cork) and you are not entitled to stay in a place at the same or lower rent just because you want to. Get used to the fact that you may have to leave to get cheaper rent and also get used to the fact that you might find that you're already paying the cheapest rent in the area and that you have to change area completely to get cheaper rent.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,129 ✭✭✭lau1247

3DataModem wrote: »
    If a tenant gave me this line I'd happily offer to forsake the rent increase for salary-linked increases in future years. :)

good luck with that.. (A) how would you know when they get a salary increase? Who in their right mind will want to pay more if they can get away with it and (B) they can just up and leave with the appropriate notice period..

West Dublin, ☀️ 7.83kWp ⚡5.66 kWp South West, ⚡2.18 kWp North East

• Registered Users Posts: 4,664 ✭✭✭makeorbrake

3DataModem wrote: »
    however there are many pig-headed landlords who just refuse to get below what they think is market rate.

Pig headed? So long as any increase is legal, then the same rules apply as apply to buying any other goods or services i.e. the price of something is determined by what one party is prepared to offer it at and the other party is prepared to pay for it.

Labelling the landlords actions as "pig headed" is just emotive stuff that is not directly relevant or helpful to anyone. If he has overpriced, then no doubt he will find that out when he comes to try and re-let the property.

The frustration that seems to be coming through here is likely a case where tenant dislikes the idea of an increase but not so much that it would motivate them to move...?
    lau1247 wrote:
    good luck with that.. (A) how would you know when they get a salary increase? Who in their right mind will want to pay more if they can get away with it and (B) they can just up and leave with the appropriate notice period..
    I would imagine that was a tongue-in-cheek comment. The point being made is IF it were possible to track salary increases with rent increases, the LL would be in a better position. It nullifies the point that the previous poster made.

Pig headed? So long as any increase is legal, then the same rules apply as apply to buying any other goods or services i.e. the price of something is determined by what one party is prepared to offer it at and the other party is prepared to pay for it.

Labelling the landlords actions as "pig headed" is just emotive stuff that is not directly relevant or helpful to anyone. If he has overpriced, then no doubt he will find that out when he comes to try and re-let the property.

The frustration that seems to be coming through here is likely a case where tenant dislikes the idea of an increase but not so much that it would motivate them to move...?

I think the pig headed comment was more aimed at the landlord who is willing to lose out on a months rent for the sake of holding out for a coupleof hundred quid more of a rent increase.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,180 ✭✭✭hfallada

We live in a free market economy. If you are not happy with the rent you are being asked to pay, you can simply move to a different property. But good luck finding a new house as there is no supply. Which results in forcing up prices.

The market is operating as it should be due to the higher demand. But dont forget your landlord now has to pay USC and PRSI on his rental income. He also has a property tax and probably higher borrowing costs due to increases in mortgage rates

Advertisement