Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UPC not supporting UDP over VPN

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 4,621 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr. G

Their terms don't allow it
    Section 12: Use of Virtual Private Network (VPN)

As stated above, the UPC Services are for residential use only and we do not support the use of VPN. If we find you are
    using VPN we may instruct you to stop using it and you must comply with this request. This is in order to prevent problems
    with our network and other Internet users.

www.upc.ie/pdf/AcceptableUsagePolicy2013.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 24 smcnena

I am having the same issues. I went from their separate tv and router to the new horizon box before last October. Everything worked fine. I could connect to my work VPN when working from home.

Since the beginning of this week, I can't connect to the VPN. I have followed up with them on boards and as Mr. G stated, they said don't support VPN.

I find this bizzare as alot of people would need to connect over a VPN for the exact same reason. I have heard some people got their original standalone routers re-enabled which sorted out their issue.

That is my next step, I still have the router here. So I will be getting in contact with them to re-enable it. If that doesn't work, I will have to get rid of the subscription altogether.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 4,621 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr. G

smcnena wrote: »
    I am having the same issues. I went from their separate tv and router to the new horizon box before last October. Everything worked fine. I could connect to my work VPN when working from home.

Since the beginning of this week, I can't connect to the VPN. I have followed up with them on boards and as Mr. G stated, they said don't support VPN.

I find this bizzare as alot of people would need to connect over a VPN for the exact same reason. I have heard some people got their original standalone routers re-enabled which sorted out their issue.

That is my next step, I still have the router here. So I will be getting in contact with them to re-enable it. If that doesn't work, I will have to get rid of the subscription altogether.

I find it bizzare too. A lot of people nowadays use a VPN to connect securely to their work network.

You could always get a business package...

• Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭northwestramble

It does look like a firmware issue. If you have your VPN connect via TCP, it might work ok, at least for me it is, slower that UDP though. I must try my connection into work and see, as that uses different VPN software.
    I wonder though would UPC give a normal customer business broadband and if it costs more. If it is a firmware problem then I doubt upgrading would solve the problem. I can understand UPC not supporting VPN, but have yet to see a case when VPN traffic would cause a problem for anyone, so I guess is a safety statement UPC have to cover them.

Let's see what they say when I get in contact with them, will ring them tomorrow. Tried it yesterday in my parents house, who have the horizon box and separate Cisco router for broadband, and I can connect no problem. I really don't want to go with a business package if it is going to cost more and as you mentioned, it may not work anyway. Will keep you posted. Thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,530 ✭✭✭wandererz

I wonder though would UPC give a normal customer business broadband and if it costs more.

You can sign up to the business service as an individual.

Pricing sheet attached. It also depends on whether they can deliver those speeds in your area.

Did you hear back from them smcnena? The Cisco router works fine, but will not support 50mb or above. So it appears I have to either downgrade my broadband and go back to my Cisco router. But I am guessing they will not let me downgrade without a charge :)

Hi northwestramble

I gave them a call and told them my problem. They mentioned what you just said about the old router being a downgrade. I said I would be happy with that as long as my bill decreased. He went off and said he needed to look into it for me. Rang back 10 minutes later telling me they are sending out the newer version of the router, which will allow me to keep my existing speed. I should have it tomorrow to test if I can connect to the VPN. I was waiting to check if it works before I replied here. Should know more tomorrow, will keep you posted.

Thanks for the update, will be interesting to see if that works. I have got two different routers of them and no joy on either. If it does work, can you let me know the model of the router you get :)

So finally got this setup and can successfully connect to my work VPN. The model they sent out is:

Technicolor TC7200

Is that the same model they sent you out?

• Advertisement
Advertisement