Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UPC Modems not supporting UDP

Options
  • 16-01-2014 3:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭

I was wondering if someone might be able to give me a few pointers or advice. I use to have 30 Mb Broadband with UPC and used a cisco EPC2425 modem and with this I used a VPN over UDP for faster speeds.
    All this worked no problem at all, I then upgraded to 50 MB, got a new router, the Techicolor and when I would connect my VPN after a number of minutes the modem would be reset. Turn off the VPN and all worked normally.
    I rang UPC and they sent out someone to test all the lines, and then gave me a new modem this time it is the Thomson model, as we thought it could be a firmware problem on the Techicolor modem. Tried the new modem and same thing again.

Now if I use my VPN with TCP, no problem at all, any ideas on how I could get UDP to work again?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭Daverk

I don't think that UPC support the use of vpn. Have something about this in their contract with you

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭sawdoubters

Section 12: Use of Virtual Private Network (VPN)

As stated above, the UPC Services are for residential use only and we do not support the use of VPN. If we find you are
    using VPN we may instruct you to stop using it and you must comply with this request. This is in order to prevent problems
    with our network and other Internet users.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,492 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Thomson and Technicolor are the same firm - Thomson changed their corporate name in 2010 and are rolling it out slowly; the units are extremely closely related and any serious corner case issues are likely to exist in both. Agitate for a Cisco would be my suggestion if you do think its an issue with the unit.

As goes their T&Cs - I've no reason to believe they do any active enforcement of that. VPN use by home users has rocketed since the introduction of region controlled services like Hulu; but in my previous job I had customers - on residential contracts - running IPSec VPNs 24/7 on UPC for years - actual years, probably put the first one up in 2010.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,051 ✭✭✭bealtine

MYOB wrote: »
    As goes their T&Cs - I've no reason to believe they do any active enforcement of that. VPN use by home users has rocketed since the introduction of region controlled services like Hulu; but in my previous job I had customers - on residential contracts - running IPSec VPNs 24/7 on UPC for years - actual years, probably put the first one up in 2010.

The "not supports" is mostly to stop customers ringing in with VPN problems as the support staff understandably couldn't possibly help fix up issues with VPNs.

I've had no problems with VPN on UPC, I use l2tp and sometimes pptp regularly so my guess would be the hardware

• Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭northwestramble

Yes, it does look like a hardware issue. It is a shame that there appears to be no technical person in UPC who I can ask if UDP is blocked on their new 50mb + routers.
    I understand they cannot support VPN, and I would even think of trying the business broadband, but if it uses the same router then no point as I am back at square 1 :)
    I even got onto my VPN supplier and they have no reported problems if their software causing any issue if forcing a router to reboot over UDP, so looks like something added by them. Going to try contacting the router companies and see if I find out is it specific to a UPC firmware change.

• Advertisement
Advertisement