Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Does gaming need to support more of a 'subtitle culture'?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭Taylor365

I hate over excited American dubbing.

Most final fantasy games should come with the Japanese option as I've been turned any recent ones by the horrible over excited American dubbing.

Persona 4 is an example of dubbing 'done good'. Mostly because your character says next to nout! In FFX (last one i played) i wanted to strangle Tidus!

It's like a Bruce Lee movie, they turn into comedies when dubbed over.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,997 ✭✭✭Grimebox

Forget comparisons to foreign films, I simply wouldn't play a game with bad dubbing or a foreign language with subs. Honestly I'm racking my brain and can't think of one game I've played that fits either of those categories. The closet thing would be some dodgy RPG translations from the 16-bit era

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

Thinking of my European friends, most of them hate anything being dubbed. They want it in the original language and with subtitles. Especially if they're trying to improve that language (e.g. a French friend of mine commented negatively on the French habit of dubbing English language movies into French, he normally ended up acquiring the English language version if he could). Actually, I've known one or two people to take it further again, e.g. watching a Japanese film subtitled in English when English was the language they were trying to improve (they would already be pretty proficient though to be honest).

I can relate to this, I hate dubbed anime though I don't watch much anime and with foreign films I do prefer subtitled versions, even with fast paced action films. I don't know, I enjoy listening to other languages with subtitles to help me understand what's going on, I find it interesting to start picking up the rhythm and pace of a language and its sounds when I'm unfamiliar with it even if I don't know what any of the words mean.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,299 ✭✭✭moc moc a moc

Just to note, English is not my native language

Ah man, we Dubs joke around about Cork people being unintelligible, but it's just a bit of banter. We don't mean to actually make you feel like you're not native speakers :(

Advertisement