Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Coordinate conversion

Options
  • 15-01-2014 12:40pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 338 ✭✭

Hi,

I have coordinates in the following format, example X: 253588 Y: 293843

I want to be able to convert to the following format:

53.891N 07.186W

can anyone tell me how to do so?

I have tried downloading Grid Inquest, but I can seem to run it.

thanks,
    Jo

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭El Siglo

Are the X and Y values, northings and eastings?

I've used this website and it's pretty good.

Also, check your UTM zone as well.

Actually, I've converted those points you gave and ended up off the coast of Liberia.

Just make sure you have your points in some recognisable format (e.g. WGS84 etc...) before you convert to long and lat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 338 ✭✭jocotty

El Siglo wrote: »
    Actually, I've converted those points you gave and ended up off the coast of Liberia.

Just make sure you have your points in some recognisable format (e.g. WGS84 etc...) before you convert to long and lat.

the coordinates are definitely correct.

Are supposed to be for a place in County Cavan!

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭ManAboutCouch

Using http://www.fieldenmaps.info/cconv/cconv_ie.html and plugging your coordinates into the "Irish Grid - Full coordinates" section I get 53.89135241, 7.18569445, which is near Ballyjamesduff.

Using http://www.fieldenmaps.info/cconv/cconv_ie.html and plugging your coordinates into the "Irish Grid - Full coordinates" section I get 53.89135241, 7.18569445, which is near Ballyjamesduff.

YES, that's correct.

thanks for the help all ;)

:D

• Advertisement

In my defence, I've been to Ballyjamesduff and it's not unlike Monrovia in Liberia... ;)

Fair play ManAboutCouch.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,218 Mod ✭✭✭✭slowburner

Sorry to bother you all again lads, but iv come across some other sticky coordinates, that I cant seem to make since off.

I have coordinates in the form of : N 540339.220 W 085151.485 , and want to convert to X Y form. ...which the N W Coordinates in this case would work out to something very close to X: 543409 Y: 812773 (Which is near Tubbercurry, Sligo)

Any help appreciated.

jO

• Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,655 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tokyo

N 540339.220 W 085151.485... just break it up into it's constituent components:

N 54° 03" 39.220', W 08° 51" 51.485'

and plug it into the Deg Min Seconds of the page that ManAboutCouch linked to earlier....

[edit]That would give you
    X: 543416.369
    Y: 812762.371

Advertisement