Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Constantine (US) [** Spoilers **]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 700 ✭✭✭nicowa

Is this on in Ireland?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,837 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Skerries wrote: »
    who was changed in Angel and what is the recent Flash news?

For Angel
    Doyle left at about episode 9 or 10. Being a regular up until then it was a shock if you didn't know itwas happening.

For the Flash,
    Robbie Amel cast as Ronnie Raymond, Caitlin's fiancee who supposedly died/disappeared in the explosion.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,318 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

nicowa wrote: »
    Is this on in Ireland?

not yet, only the pilot has been leaked online
    CastorTroy wrote: »
    For Angel
    Doyle left at about episode 9 or 10. Being a regular up until then it was a shock if you didn't know itwas happening.

oh yes I remember that

• Registered Users Posts: 3,576 ✭✭✭Mal-Adjusted

I finally saw the original leaked pilot online yesterday. It looks like a combination of the Hellblazer series, The Constantine series and the 2005 film. I really enjoyed it, weird Chas and all, but i still have a gripe with them having changed the pronunciation of his name. I know in the greater scheme of things it's not much to be annoyed over but it's his name FFS!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,902 ✭✭✭EoinMcLovin

Irish actor Emmett Scanlan (In the Flesh, The Fall, Guardians of the Galaxy) will play Jim Corrigan -- the character who later becomes The Spectre in the comics, and will appear on Constantine as a recurring guest star.
    http://ie.ign.com/articles/2014/09/05/constantine-casts-jim-corrigan-aka-the-spectre?utm_campaign=fbposts&utm_source=facebook

Irish actor Emmett Scanlan (In the Flesh, The Fall, Guardians of the Galaxy) will play Jim Corrigan -- the character who later becomes The Spectre in the comics, and will appear on Constantine as a recurring guest star.
    http://ie.ign.com/articles/2014/09/05/constantine-casts-jim-corrigan-aka-the-spectre?utm_campaign=fbposts&utm_source=facebook

Sweet Jesus but could they have got a less talented actor. Scanlan is one of those actors who can drag down an entire scene simply by showing up.

• Registered Users Posts: 85,279 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Sweet Jesus but could they have got a less talented actor. Scanlan is one of those actors who can drag down an entire scene simply by showing up.

I thought he was great in Hollyoaks

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    I thought he was great in Hollyoaks

I'm pretty sure you could draw a smiley face on a piece of 2x4 and it would give a better performance than most of the Hollyoaks cast.

I'm pretty sure you could draw a smiley face on a piece of 2x4 and it would give a better performance than most of the Hollyoaks cast.

I hate the attitude that soap opera actors can't truly act, some of the storylines tackled by Hollyoaks especially are groundbreaking and feature great acting performances

• Advertisement

I hate the attitude that soap opera actors can't truly act, some of the storylines tackled by Hollyoaks especially are groundbreaking and feature great acting performances

I have seen Hollyoaks, when in college we looked at soaps and I'm sorry but the lack of talent on display across the board is striking. There's very few actors who go from soaps to main stream, there's a few such as Russell Crowe and Guy Pearce but those who make the move are few and far between. I had the displeasure of seeing Scanlan in Charlie Casanova and The Inside and he was terrible in both. Even in the Fall, where he has little to do he's the worst thing onscreen.

I have seen Hollyoaks, when in college we looked at soaps and I'm sorry but the lack of talent on display across the board is striking. There's very few actors who go from soaps to main stream, there's a few such as Russell Crowe and Guy Pearce but those who make the move are few and far between. I had the displeasure of seeing Scanlan in Charlie Casanova and The Inside and he was terrible in both. Even in the Fall, where he has little to do he's the worst thing onscreen.

He might surprise you in this have faith :p

He might surprise you in this have faith :p

He's had every opportunity to impress in the past and failed so I'm not sure he's going to suddenly turn into a good actor.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

I don't think anyone said soap opera actors can't act, I think they implied either Hollyoak cast members have no requirement to act on set and therefore don't, or that a subset of cast members could be replaced with wooden planks to no great detriment to story or the acting calibre.

This airs tomorrow on NBC for anyone who doesn't know yet. I don't know what it's airing on this side of the world (if at all) but i'm sure streams will be up soon enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,837 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Watched it today and I liked it.

I don't read the comics so it did feel a bit Supernatural.

Didn't watch the leaked pilot before, but checked it afterwards and they changed the ending to write out Lucy. So the bar scene was changed and extra bit after flaming hands.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,266 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

First two episodes are out; I'm liking what I'm seeing so far. I guess in a way to describe it is a mythical version of Elementary that may go places or may flop.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,115 ✭✭✭✭Nervous Wreck

Is this show any good?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,924 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

I liked the second episode a lot more than the first 1, the first 1 seemed be trying to be a 1 hour movie or something, second 1 was a lot better, like Supernatural

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,266 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

Is this show any good?
    It's showing potential; first episode sets up a bit of background story; second moves away from the whole Heaven & Hell motif of episode 1 towards more folklore. It's worth taking a chance I'd say.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,549 ✭✭✭squonk

Episode 2 was a bit better but I'm just not getting into this show as much as I'd have expected. The main reason is that it has much of what put me off Sleepy Hollow. It recycles some mythology to give the main character a purpose. For some reason I'm not that particularly interested in seeing our hero take down the demon of the week.

I do like the new sidekick though. I think they cast well there and she seems more convincing than the last lady who forced the recast by leaving for another show.

It's only episode 2 but one thing that's really grating on me now is how the guy dresses. I could see the half thrown together wardrobe working in the original animated books but I wish they'd changed this for the TV show. He's always dressed in a 'devil may care', I just woke up and threw this on kind of way, but the problem is that every time you see him it's the exact same. You can tell the production has at least one or two people sorting that out before each take. His tie is exactly the same always and the overcoat has just the exact same fold on the collar. To me it implies that the character gets up every morning and spends an age standing in front of a wraparound full length set of mirrors making sure 'the look' is exactly right. It annoys me and pulls me out of the show really. I'd have preferred if they'd used the costume for the pilot, as an homage to the original character but ditched it after that. In that I could draw another parallel with Sleepy Hollow where Crane is still prancing around in 18th. century garb after an entire season. I'd doubt he's changed in Season 2 so far.

Unless things improve I think this is one show I'll be calling time on before long.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,406 ✭✭✭PirateShampoo

That's how he dresses in the comic so they won't be changing that.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,318 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

yeah but it looks so pristine clean, they should make it look like it has been worn for a good while

A story I read was that James Marsters who played Spike in Buffy came back one season to find that they had cleaned his leather coat so he immediately went out to the parking lot and started rubbing it on the ground to give it a worn look

That's it! He gets a complete makeover after every incident. This week he ended up in a mudbath then, quick run back to the hotel, bit of a clean up and he's back with a pristine, perfectly detailed costume, even though they didn't have heaps of time at that stage. Like I said, it's maybe more forgiveable in an animated novel. It's just a bit too much and a bit too perfect. Constantine is a nomad basically so it shouldn't be so perfect.

• Registered Users Posts: 60,344 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

‘Constantine’ To Stop Production After 13 Episodes.

Not surprised 10pm Friday night really wasn't the best time slot for a show like this.
    NBC had to make a decision whether to keep Constantine in continuous production with little ratings information. While the series began production on a standard fall premiere production schedule, its launch was delayed until late October when NBC’s Friday genre block usually debuts, so the network had to make a call whether to order additional episodes after only four episodes had aired vs. at least seven, which is the norm for freshman series

http://deadline.com/2014/11/constantine-stop-production-13-episodes-season-1-nbc-1201294518/

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 574 ✭✭✭18MonthsaSlave

This show is my guilty pleasure and it improves with the week.
    It is a bit like early episodes of Angel in that it is episodic and deals with the occult.
    I can only guess that Joss Whedon ripped off the original comic.

Apparently, it's been listed on EW's worst series of 2014 :(

http://www.ew.com/ew/gallery/0,,20326356_20879083,00.html#30260953

I've only seen the first three episodes but really enjoyed them, it's Supernatural 1.0 and all the better for it. The first two episodes felt a little like early Supernatural and there was no real connection between Constantine and the cases he solved, it felt a lot like he was stumbling into other peoples stories but it's in episode 3 where the show really impressed. It's quite a simple tale and tells an adult and intelligent story far better than I expected and the final scene is one of the most touching of the year. Honestly that this is routinely being called one of the worst new shows is baffling, it may not be an instant classic but all the elements of a truly great show are there.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,459 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

It's a solid show. Not brilliant, but very watchable.

• Advertisement

It's on my commuting list at this point. That's where I use my commuting time to watch shows that don't make the grade to be watched weeknights during the week. I use it as a spot to either decide to completely shelve shows or put them back into weeiknight rotation because they're improving or I just warm to them over time. The last Constantine episode I watched was the one with the record and the cancer cured musician. It was the first one that really felt prety good. I've a feeling though that Constantine is a bit too Liverpudlian for a US audience. The actor comes across as just putting on the hard man/occult fighting Johnny Rotten role a bit much. I'm not sure the show has staying power really.

Advertisement