Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What is wrong with S4?

Options
  • 15-01-2014 12:16am
    Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭

Hi there, general newbie question.
    Bought a S4 from ebay, pretty much new. Something is a miss, it says its up to date 4.22 etc however as I am going through menus, there are entries missing, it is missing entries all over the place, example - when long click to go to the task manager, there are no buttons at the bottom to kill all.
    Phone seems unlocked, there doesn't seem to be any samsung apps on it.
    I looked up online how to do the 3 button method to do a factory reset - will not work with my phone - so something is a miss. Otherwise phone is functioning as it should. Basically how do I get it back to square one with the samsung most uptodate stuff? thanks a mil. A

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,527 ✭✭✭wandererz

Firstly, have you done a reset from the Settings menu?
    Secondly:
    Has it been rooted?
    Does it allow you to install the SuperSU app from the Play Store?

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 2,604 Mod ✭✭✭✭horgan_p

Hi there, general newbie question.
    Bought a S4 from ebay, pretty much new. Something is a miss, it says its up to date 4.22 etc however as I am going through menus, there are entries missing, it is missing entries all over the place, example - when long click to go to the task manager, there are no buttons at the bottom to kill all.
    Phone seems unlocked, there doesn't seem to be any samsung apps on it.
    I looked up online how to do the 3 button method to do a factory reset - will not work with my phone - so something is a miss. Otherwise phone is functioning as it should. Basically how do I get it back to square one with the samsung most uptodate stuff? thanks a mil. A

Horrible thing to say , but I've seen similar with a work colleague. First tip off was a misspelling on the back of the box. It was a fake. Bloody good one too, he'd been to a couple of phone shops who swore blind there was no issue with the phone. Like you he bought off eBay as well. He only asked me to look at it cause he wanted "the kit kat" on it and it wouldn't update.

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭D_BEAR

Could be a fake S4 there almost identical.

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭Alancillhill

I went through a video online today to check it being a fake... doubt it, everything seems to point to it being legit. I will try the app test tomorrow. new to android so not familiar with rooting, roms etc. I might just drop it in somewhere.... tks.

Settings -> More-> About Device

What does the contents of the above screen say?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 49 dylanobyrne1

Get CPU-Z it will show all of your diagnostics on your phone, if they seem to be the same as the S4 you could try a benchmarking tool, this tool basically measures how much FPS you get in a graphic intense game such as Dead Ahead.

Hope this helps ;)

Get CPU-Z it will show all of your diagnostics on your phone, if they seem to be the same as the S4 you could try a benchmarking tool, this tool basically measures how much FPS you get in a graphic intense game such as Dead Ahead.

Hope this helps ;)

What he said above.
    That sorts things out sharpish.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭corsav6

wandererz wrote: »
    Settings -> More-> About Device

What does the contents of the above screen say?

As above, it may be running a custom rom which would explain the missing Samsung apps.I don't have an s4 so not sure what the stock firmware should say in "About Device" but a quick Google search should help, or maybe someone here could post a screenshot to compare.

• Registered Users Posts: 522 ✭✭✭gbob

corsav6 wrote: »
    As above, it may be running a custom rom which would explain the missing Samsung apps.I don't have an s4 so not sure what the stock firmware should say in "About Device" but a quick Google search should help, or maybe someone here could post a screenshot to compare.

This is my s4 on 4.4...
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/9olbmwg7winxtv8/Screenshot_2014-01-15-00-30-37.png

• Registered Users Posts: 14,240 ✭✭✭✭SteelyDanJalapeno

Sounds like a fake

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

Gotta agree with the others. Sounds like a fake to me aswell

Hi there, see image attached... Did CPU-Z and grabbed from the device info page... thanks for any help...
    PossibleFake_.jpg

The Antutu benchmark app was on the phone, I just read that on some of the chinese versions- they install a custom version to give great readings. So I think a real Galaxy S4 would give a reading of about 25000 as opposed to double.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

Fake. Screen resolution is far too low for the s4

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,692 ✭✭✭Jarren

This is fake S4, start paypal dispute pronto.

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,054 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

Coming up as GT-I9500, and not the GT-I9505? Quad core rather than octo core. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Samsung_Galaxy_S4#Quad-core_variant

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 7,223 Mod ✭✭✭✭Michael D Not Higgins

Same with RAM, internal memory, the fact that the manufacturer is listed as GT-I9500 and you can see the pixels in the photos.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,174 ✭✭✭kieran.

This is definitely a fake, the top of the screen is different from the realS4 also there is is slight differences in the internal rear housing.[/FONT
    Start a SNAD with paypal

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,833 ✭✭✭Vinz Mesrine

100% a fake, how much did you pay just out of interest?

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,054 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

Ouch. I just ran that software and can see the differences. Looks like OP has a Fake phone. :(

• Advertisement

Hi there,
    Thanks so much guys, guessed it from the readings -
    Oh the power of the web to be able to solve issues like this quickly.
    Really appreciate your time.
    300GBP ish, The seller has agreed to repay and I will send it back to him.
    Don't think he was aware of it.

Fiddlesticks, bit afraid to buy another online now.

Hi there,
    Thanks so much guys, guessed it from the readings -
    Oh the power of the web to be able to solve issues like this quickly.
    Really appreciate your time.
    300GBP ish, The seller has agreed to repay and I will send it back to him.
    Don't think he was aware of it.

Fiddlesticks, bit afraid to buy another online now.

Send it back via registered post only , they usually register the weight of the package too
    (Just in case if he claims that only box was received)

I will still start paypal dispute and forward the relevant correspondence to them, this is the safest way to ensure that you actually get your money back.

Thanks - he has already refunded but it takes 5 days to process for some reason...

• Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭madfcuker

Thanks - he has already refunded but it takes 5 days to process for some reason...

I would still open a PayPal dispute to ensure you get your money back. As you send phone back he gets it and keeps your money too

No, it doesn't take 5 days to process the paypal refund.

Start paypal dispute asap, me thinks that he is playing you to be honest.

Takes 1/2 secs to receive paypal payment, not 5 days.

Payment received, under paypal review.

Payment received, under paypal review.

In this case the refund will come straight from his bank account which may take a good few days

Let us know when you get it.

Sure, will do and thanks again for taking the time to look at the pics etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,184 ✭✭✭Kenno90

You are lucky mate, congrats.

and fair play to boardies for noticing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭advertsfox

Not to mention internal storage and RAM (2GB internal and 1350MB RAM). For comparison, an actual S4 in CPU-Z.

Wrong image link, can't find my good one now...

And yours again:

5TNthh3.jpg

Advertisement