Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What beer are we drinking this week, too?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,857 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

BeerNut wrote: »
    Where did you see this? I haven't had it in a long time, but I'm reasonably certain it's a weissbier.

Talking through my arse, again it seems.
    Oops.
    I just thought oktoberfest meant marzen.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭Knifey Spoony

Talking through my arse, again it seems.
    Oops.

To me Erdinger Oktoberfest is not a weisse, but I can't seem to find any references to it being a marzen. I've had this years batch in bottle and on draught and I don't get any characteristic weisse banana and clove off it at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 840 ✭✭✭jsa112

O'Hara's barrel aged leann follain, damn fine beer

• Registered Users Posts: 4,663 ✭✭✭sheroman01

I had a pint of O'Haras stout last night in The Hapenny Inn whilst waiting for the bus. My god it was lovely, lovely stuff. Will definitely be drinking more of it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭cunnifferous

450x450.jpg

Had one of these earlier. It's a fantastic bitter, lots of flavour and body despite the low abv. Not normally the biggest fan of the english bitter style but this one has certainly changed my mind.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,818 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

Oktoberfestbier is a type of märzen, but Erdinger Oktoberfest doesn't claim to be an Oktoberfestbier. The label (I checked) says it's a hefe weissbier. Everything with the Erdinger brand is warm fermented, AFAIK.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,693 ✭✭✭ciaran76

Yardbird Pale ale from Greene King. An American pale ale style it said on the clear bottle.

I knew within seconds of opening it that it was Greene King beer.

I thought it was very sweet with some hops but nothing American about it at all

• Registered Users Posts: 26,558 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

Having a brand new (less than 15 days in the can) dead pony (club) pale ale. It's so much nicer fresh.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,135 ✭✭✭flanzer

So I was looking to go for a tasty lunch yesterday with the family. Headed for the Porterhouse North in Phibsboro. I hadn't been there in a number of years. Food was outstanding as I remembered it being.

I decided to get a bit of advise from the very knowledgeable barman on a number of IPAs they had. He recommended their own Hop Head Ale, before giving me a little taster. I must say, it was outstanding. Full bodied hoppyness. Plenty of fruity vides. A meal in itself you might say! On a hoppy scale of 1-10, I'd give it an 9 or a 10.

Can't wait to go back

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭themountainman

Mariana Trench by Weird Beard. Not as nice as their Five O'Clock Shadow that I tasted in London a few years back. Also, Evil Twin Hop Flood, which I really like!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

O'Hara's have just put a photo of their beers that are available on tap in a bar called Corcoran's Sacré-Cœur in Paris. In one of the pics it shows a beer called O'Hara's French Connection. Anyone know what type of beer it is?

edit- It's "a lighter blonde" "developed for the French market"

RTE 1's Nationwide will be starting at 7pm - a full programme dedicated to craft beer and cider in Ireland - featuring September's Irish Craft Beer and Cider Festival

Taken from the All-Ireland Craft Beerfest's FB page.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 3,635 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ravelleman

BaZmO* wrote: »
    O'Hara's have just put a photo of their beers that are available on tap in a bar called Corcoran's Sacré-Cœur in Paris. In one of the pics it shows a beer called O'Hara's French Connection. Anyone know what type of beer it is?

I don't know why they bother with the Nitro Red. The regular version is a lot better.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

Ravelleman wrote: »
    I don't know why they bother with the Nitro Red. The regular version is a lot better.

A good proportion of their product is for the export market, and nitro "Irish Red" is a popular choice abroad, I gather.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,216 ✭✭✭jh79

edit- It's "a lighter blonde" "developed for the French market"

It's grand nothing too exciting but I wouldn't be a fan of that style.

One positive is the price around the fiver mark which for Paris is cheap.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

Had a few over the weekend. New Belgium'sTour de Fall which is an American Pale Ale, not bad but I found it a bit thin.
    21st Amendment's He Said, a Belgian Triple brewed with Pumpkin and Spices, didn't get too much Pumpkin which I was happy about. A lovely beer.
    I tried Guinness Extra (brewed in Canada according to the label), had a burnt molasses type taste to it. Was ok just, I had Sierra Nevada's Stout a few nights prior to the Guinness and was a much superior Stout.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭Son0vagun

Where's the best place to get Weird Beard?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,592 ✭✭✭drumswan

Son0vagun wrote: »

Redmonds have a good few of theirs

Son0vagun wrote: »

Bradley's, North Main Street.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,141 ✭✭✭Ronan|Raven

Some Rogue Amber Ale, I wanted something from Oregon to calm my excitement of going there tomorrow.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,553 ✭✭✭murphyebass

Currently suppin on a pint bottle of Kinnegar Rye Ale. Pleasantly surprisingly nice.

Tiny Rebel - FUBAR

Really liking this. Lots of hops for a 4.4% IPA. But on the thin side perhaps but it's very drinkable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

Lots of hops for a 4.4% IPA.

I see this a good bit, why is there a perception that lower % beers can't be as hoppy as 5%+ beers?

Hops are nothing to do with the abv of beer, and actually, given there'd be less malt or other grain in the lower % beers, it would take less hops to get them "as hoppy" as the higher % beers.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭Heroditas

Some Rogue Amber Ale, I wanted something from Oregon to calm my excitement of going there tomorrow.

Lucky git. Enjoy!

I see this a good bit, why is there a perception that lower % beers can't be as hoppy as 5%+ beers?

Hops are nothing to do with the abv of beer, and actually, given there'd be less malt or other grain in the lower % beers, it would take less hops to get them "as hoppy" as the higher % beers.

I know, but lots of hops can mean bitterness, which in turn means sweetness to balance it, which in turn results in a high abv.

And sure what would you know anyway, you don't like hoppy beers! ;)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,818 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

why is there a perception that lower % beers can't be as hoppy as 5%+ beers?
    It's not that they can't be, more that they usually aren't and, in some people's opinion, shouldn't be. "Balance" is a word that gets thrown around a lot in relation to beer, generally as a good thing. Balance means having hop and malt characteristics in proportion to each other -- so if you're going to make a highly hoppy beer it needs to be strong enough to balance that. It is definitely going out of fashion, though. Your Via Marises and your Vietnows, both excellent beers IMO, don't give a toss about balance.

Kinnegar black bucket in Bierhaus, Cork is really really good. It's a black rye ale.
    Beautiful hoppy nose. Rich roasty dark flavours but strangely light too with a beautiful complex aftertaste.
    One of the best black IPA type beers I've had.

• Registered Users Posts: 743 ✭✭✭baron von something

Had some modus hoperandi and sierra nevada hoptimum last night.lovely and hoppy just how I like it

I also had another beer from Tiny Rebel last night, Dirty Stop Out. It's described as a Smoked Oat Stout but it's more roasted than smoked. Lovely stout though. Beautiful roastiness balanced by sweetness with touches of vanilla and a creamy smoothness from the oat.

Had Sierra Nevada - Snow Wit too. A White IPA. It's essentially a Wit beer with a splash of hops (7 types of Dwarf Hops no less, which I'm only now realising, as I type, where the name came from!) Not sure if the hops add a lot other than bitterness that clashes with the coriander & orange flavours of the Wit. There's a good chunk of sweetness to balance the bitterness a bit. Nice enough but I've had nicer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,244 ✭✭✭Joekers

I also had another beer from Tiny Rebel last night, Dirty Stop Out. It's described as a Smoked Oat Stout but it's more roasted than smoked. Lovely stout though. Beautiful roastiness balanced by sweetness with touches of vanilla and a creamy smoothness from the oat.

Had Sierra Nevada - Snow Wit too. A White IPA. It's essentially a Wit beer with a splash of hops (7 types of Dwarf Hops no less, which I'm only now realising, as I type, where the name came from!) Not sure if the hops add a lot other than bitterness that clashes with the coriander & orange flavours of the Wit. There's a good chunk of sweetness to balance the bitterness a bit. Nice enough but I've had nicer.

Also had this last night didnt find it great tbh same with the Nooner IPA I wouldnt be rushing back out to buy either one

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement