Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

JDIFF 2014

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,238 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

e_e wrote: »
    What's going on with season tickets? Can I use mine to book online or do I have to go into filmbase with it? Don't want to head in tomorrow evening and find that several films I wanted were booked out already. :/

You're meant to be able to book online (from half three this afternoon), but it surprise surprise seems borked at the moment. It's definitely recognising me as a season ticket holder as I can access booking pages but it won't let me progress without a promo code.

You should be fine though, they reserve tickets for all screenings for season ticket holders until Friday. There was an email sent out about it last week. I'm glad I grabbed most of the big tickets this afternoon at the programme preview, but there's still a couple more I'd like to reserve ASAP just in case!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,671 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Online booking seems to be working for me. I can add films and they are being discounted by a 100 percent. But it still wants to charge me the 1 euro booking charge per order. I don’t mind paying this once for the convenience of booking online, but I don’t want to have decide on everything now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭e_e

Great stuff, fully decided on the two dozen or so I want to see.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,238 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

They offered to discount the one euro online booking fee for me at the Filmbase box office last year :pac:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,671 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

They offered to discount the one euro online booking fee for me at the Filmbase box office last year :pac:

So you have to pay it otherwise?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

So.... if there's tickets sold at the preview and there's season ticket pre booking thing too.... what are the chances of me actually getting tickets tomorrow morning? Can't be that many left for general public?

So you have to pay it otherwise?

Yeah I think so, just an annoying quirk of the booking system I'd say.

Definitely can't book anything at the moment which is a pain, glad I went into the programme briefing earlier to book then and there. I'll give them a call tomorrow if they don't reply to my email / tweet combo ;)

So.... if there's tickets sold at the preview and there's season ticket pre booking thing too.... what are the chances of me actually getting tickets tomorrow morning? Can't be that many left for general public?

You'll be fine, the preview as just for season ticket holders which there aren't that many of (there was only around twenty at the preview, I wouldn't say there's any more than fifty or so all in all). It's always chaos when tickets go on sale but if you're on first thing you'll more than likely get what you want. It's only the really big films - which I'd say this year will be Budapest, opening / closing, and maybe the Dreyfus screenings - that tend to go really quickly. I don't think I've ever had a problem getting a ticket when I've been online when they go on sale generally.

You'll be fine, the preview as just for season ticket holders which there aren't that many of (there was only around twenty at the preview, I wouldn't say there's any more than fifty or so all in all). It's always chaos when tickets go on sale but if you're on first thing you'll more than likely get what you want. It's only the really big films - which I'd say this year will be Budapest, opening / closing, and maybe the Dreyfus screenings - that tend to go instantaneously.

Yeah. I'll try for Budapest but I won't hold my breath. One or two others I wouldn't mind seeing but won't cry over if I can't get tickets. Just wondered was there any point in even trying in the morning, but I'll give it a go.

I had no problems getting tickets last year. Book as soon as it opens in the morning or within the first hour and you should get everything you want. At most you might miss out the surprise film and maybe one other. And even if you do, extra tickets will be released after the 27th.

• Advertisement

Ah, just tried the site in another browser and it let me book no problem. That's the core two dozen films booked anyway, really looking forward to it now :)

The only thing left for me to book now is Calvary, and maybe a few of the morning screenings.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

The one I'm most interested in is the original Dawn of the Dead getting screened with a live soundtrack performance by Goblin.

I had a big long list of ones I wanted to see but after going through it properly I realised that a lot of them clash with each other, so that kind of cuts my list in half :)

Any ideas what the secret film is?

Be aware that the printed programme doesn't have Only Lovers Left Alive listed, at least on the main timetable. I'm using that page for scheduling and almost forgot about Mr Jarmusch as a result!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,983 ✭✭✭mystic86

Website not loading for anybody else?

• Registered Users Posts: 443 ✭✭Squelchy

Website's bunched for me. Which is truly shocking. :|

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭Noise Annoys

Website down! I feel a 'Twitter storm' a-coming....! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭Cardex

Yeah website down. Booking line has a recorded message to say office is now closed. Called the other number to the main office and a nice chap called Kevin is calling me back as soon as he's figured out what's going on.

Got in the queue at half 9 to book my remaining tickets and was fine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭Cardex

Got through on the Booking line after a bit of perseverance, you might need to hold for a few minutes

• Registered Users Posts: 992 ✭✭✭bigslick

Got in queue at 9.50 and picked up tickets to Budapest and The Stag. Happy days. Good luck to everyone else trying. Seems this happens every year, but nothing is done about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 443 ✭✭Squelchy

20 minutes on the site before it loads and then Zero Theorem is €18!
    I was this close to not bothering.

Booked it in the end because I'm an idiot.
    Why do I punish myself with this festival every year?

Website worked fine for me just now.

Do they send you out the tickets or how does it work?

Website worked fine for me just now.

Do they send you out the tickets or how does it work?
    You pick 'em up either in the foyer before the movie or in Filmbase in Temple Bar.

Can you pick them up any time from Film Base or only on the day of the screening?

Sorry for all the questions, spot the newbie :)

Anytime you like! Just give your name and contact information to them there.

Providing it's opening hours of course. ;)

e_e wrote: »
    Hoping for all of the aforementioned, plus:

Beyond Outrage
    Closed Curtain
    Fruitvale Station
    The Grand Budapest Hotel
    Norte the End of History
    Snowpiercer
    The Spectacular Now
    The Wind Rises

Think I'll skip the inevitable surprise film though. :P

Not to hijack the thread here but does anyone know what's happening with The Spectacular Now as far as a general release is concerned? It's been shown at a lot of festivals and has already had a US release, but I see nothing about an Irish/UK release. I checked Amazon to see if there was a DVD release date but it only seems to list the US Blu Ray?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,693 ✭✭✭delbertgrady

Squelchy wrote: »
    20 minutes on the site before it loads and then Zero Theorem is €18! I was this close to not bothering. Booked it in the end because I'm an idiot. Why do I punish myself with this festival every year?

Yeah, €18 is outrageous (though, like you, I booked it all the same). I know the "gala" and "special" presentations are always more expensive, but that really seems excessive. Plus, as was remarked last year when Mr. Langhella had to withdraw from the Robot and Frank "special presentation" screening, did that reduce its status and technically mean people should have been refunded a few Euro? Of course not.
    Plus, I hate the way they describe the Jameson Film Club as a "must attend" event, when you can't actually buy tickets for it. That's like describing the Lotto as a "must win" competition.
    I'd remarkably little trouble with the website, though the dropdown menu for each date was no good, as the countdown timer meant you couldn't just select a film from the bottom of the list. You had to click on the date to open up the full page and then select the film you wanted. Plus, I know it's probably a generic template, but why the extra step of selecting the time of the performance, when there's only one performance?

2024 Gigs and Events: David Suchet, Depeche Mode, Orchestral Manoeuvres in the Dark, The Smile, Pixies, Liam Gallagher John Squire/Jake Bugg, Kacey Musgraves (x2), Olivia Rodrigo, Mitski, Muireann Bradley, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, Eric Clapton, Girls Aloud, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, P!nk, Pearl Jam/Richard Ashcroft, Taylor Swift/Paramore, Suede/Manic Street Preachers, Muireann Bradley, AC/DC, Deacon Blue/Altered Images, The The, blink-182, Coldplay, Gilbert O'Sullivan, Nick Lowe, David Gilmour, Public Service Broadcasting, Crash Test Dummies, Cassandra Jenkins.

2025 Gigs and Events: Billie Eilish (x2)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 536 ✭✭✭Evil Sausage

Plus, as was remarked last year when Mr. Langhella had to withdraw from the Robot and Frank "special presentation" screening, did that reduce its status and technically mean people should have been refunded a few Euro? Of course not.

Im not so sure thats correct - I was refunded the difference in price for this screening last year back to my CC. Got the following mail from JDIFF regarding the refund
    As Mr Langella is no longer attending the screening, we will be refunding the difference between the 'special presentation' screeening price and our standard 'evening and weekend' screening price to all customers, which amounts to 4 euro. If you booked using a credit card, this partial refund will be applied automatically. Customers who paid in cash can collect the partial refund from our main festival box office in Filmbase.

They did the same thing in 2011 when Liam Neeson was a last minute cancellation at that woeful flick Unknown

Advertisement