Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Signalling straight ahead on mini-roundabout

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,924 ✭✭✭MascotDec85

loobylou wrote: »
    But you ARE going left. The only way to exit a roundabout is by turning left. So if you're going "straight ahead" ie 12 o clock, you are still entering and then exiting the roundabout.
    ROTR say to treat a mini roundabout like you would any other. Signalling on mini roundabouts can be a little more difficult given that there is less time between exits. Thats why both methods described in this thread are acceptable in the test. However you must ask yourself which is the better practice?
    An indicator is used to warn and inform other road users. Incorrect signalling causes confusion. No signals cause confusion.
    If you approach a mini roundabout intending to travel straight ahead at the first exit and signal left on approach, you warn/inform, no grounds for confusion.
    Equally if you approach and enter roundabout and signal left at 9 o clock, again no grounds for confusion but other traffic has less notice of your intention.
    If you fail to signal at all nobody will know what you intend to do and may have to slow or stop to see where you are going.
    So, on balance, it is best to signal as early as possible and ALWAYS signal your exit from a roundabout.

What's confusing is when people decide to put their own spin on things.

If taking the 12 o'clock exit you are not going left, you are going straight. You bear left on the exit. Same way as you would if you are ultimately turning right, you bear left on the exit.

As you rightly said the rotr says you treat a mini-roundabout the same way as you would a normal one. Now, if everyone just started doing exactly that there would be no confusion.

12 o'clock exit. No signal on approach with a left signal at 9 o'clock or as you're passing the first exit. It's that simple. It also extremely easy to extend your finger onto your indicator stalk to put the left indicator on to show your intention to leave the roundabout whether you're on a standard or mini-roundabout.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,418 ✭✭✭loobylou

12 o'clock exit. No signal on approach with a left signal at 9 o'clock or as you're passing the first exit. It's that simple. It also extremely easy to extend your finger onto your indicator stalk to put the left indicator on to show your intention to leave the roundabout whether you're on a standard or mini-roundabout.
    Agreed. The poster I disagreed with said she went through 3 roundabouts without signalling (at all) because she was going straight ahead.

loobylou wrote: »
    Agreed. The poster I disagreed with said she went through 3 roundabouts without signalling (at all) because she was going straight ahead.

I was also using your post to highlight the way that people confuse the situation and this thread is a prime example.

Roundabouts are very simple once you follow the basic rules.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭sawdoubters

you would signal even going straight to tell other drivers waiting to get on,that your getting off,on a mini roundabout its quite hard as you nearly off it as soon as you get on,

you would signal even going straight to tell other drivers waiting to get on,that your getting off,on a mini roundabout its quite hard as you nearly off it as soon as you get on,

Can you please tell me where it says this?

You don't have a straight ahead signal on a car. No signal on approach. A mini-roundabout should be treated the same as a normal one. Extending your finger to the signal whilst keeping your hand on the steering wheel is not difficult.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭J_R

Can you please tell me where it says this?

You don't have a straight ahead signal on a car. No signal on approach. A mini-roundabout should be treated the same as a normal one. Extending your finger to the signal whilst keeping your hand on the steering wheel is not difficult.

Hi,

Therein may lie the problem for some people. They use the indicator stalk exactly the same way as the gear lever. Hand off wheel, firm grip of stalk, move into position, hand back on wheel again.

That and perhaps attempting to indicate whilst they still have a right lock on the wheel.

And of course going too fast.

Hi,

However, re. above post, Normally an indicator should always be given in plenty of time so that other road users have time to assimilate and act on the information given, otherwise it can be of little or no benefit.

On a very small mini roundabout the time between indicating left that you are exiting and actually taking the exit can be extremely short so may not be of much benefit.

However it sometimes can be of great benefit so my advice was to get into the habit of always indicating, Especially in the test, some examiners will mark for not indicating, others may not. But none will mark you for indicating (correctly)

Re.my post No. 38

I have sent the following to the RSA. As I had to sign it "Ex ADI" they may not bother replying. Also may receive a reply in " civil service speak". Saying nothing definite. Of which I have received a few.
    there is a training video produced by ISM, relevant section can be viewed at :-
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XR-iuHWxbh0

at 0535 the driver commences to explain Mini Rondabouts.

at 0550 he says "There are two different kinds of mini roundabouts, ones which are raised slightly, these you will have to come all the way round obviously and ones which are painted, these are generally on the smaller junctions".

He takes a right on a mini roundabout naratting "slightly going over the roundabout in the middle, otherwise I will be forced to hit the kerb"

He then takes a right at the next roundabout saying at 0626: "you will notice I am not signalling left exiting the roundabout as with the smaller roundabouts especially when turning right there is too much steering involved and by signalling can sometimes throw your steering off"

Now my questions.

Surely those two points are incorrect. ?

1st point I know some county councils sometimes get it wrong but would they deliberately build/mark a junction/roundabout where it would be impossible for a car to negotiate without infringing on the road markings.? To do so would bring the entire road marking system into disrepute. By selecting the appropriate speed surely it should be possible to negotiate all mini roundabouts without crossing solid white lines ?

Is the driver correct, is is acceptable to cross the center painted markings of a roundabut ?

and point two.
    If the driver is incapable of flicking an indicator stalk without losing control, would that not simply mean he was going too fast for the conditions. ?

I await your response with interest

I look forward to that reply!

Hi,

Sent the following to the RSA:
    there is a training video produced by ISM, relevant section can be viewed at :-

ISM Training Video

at 0535 the driver commences to explain Mini Rondabouts.

at 0550 he says "There are two different kinds of mini roundabouts, ones which are raised slightly, these you will have to come all the way round obviously and ones which are painted, these are generally on the smaller junctions".

He takes a right on a mini roundabout naratting "slightly going over the roundabout in the middle, otherwise I will be forced to hit the kerb"

He then takes a right at the next roundabout saying at 0626: "you will notice I am not signalling left exiting the roundabout as with the smaller roundabouts especially when turning right there is too much steering involved and by signalling can sometimes throw your steering off"

Now my questions.

Surely those two points are incorrect. ?

1st point I know some county councils sometimes get it wrong but would they deliberately build/mark a junction/roundabout where it would be impossible for a car to negotiate without infringing on the road markings.? To do so would bring the entire road marking system into disrepute. By selecting the appropriate speed surely it should be possible to negotiate all mini roundabouts without crossing solid white lines ?

Is the driver correct, is is acceptable to cross the center painted markings of a roundabut ?

and point two.
    If the driver is incapable of flicking an indicator stalk without losing control, would that not simply mean he was going too fast for the conditions. ?

I await your response with interest

Received the following reply:
    A Driver must know what traffic signs and road markings mean before driving on a public road. A Driver must know and understand these signs and markings and respond correctly when they see them on the road. Traffic signs and roadway markings are divided into three main categories, Regulatory, Warning and Information.

Road Markings are a traffic sign in the form and design of a marking on the surface of the road. They have the same standing as upright signs. Drivers must obey these road markings.

A Driver must always signal before they change their course. This means signalling clearly and in good time. The law requires a Driver to signal their intention of doing things on the road. This means signalling properly.

When taking an exit off a Roundabout (past 12 0’clock-right)

Approach in the right hand lane (unless road markings say otherwise) indicate right on the approach and leave the indicator on until the driver is past the exit before the one they intend to take. Then change to the left turn indicator. Move over to the left on the roundabout and continue signalling left to leave

So, clear enough. You are not allowed to cross the white circle in the middle and you must indicate.

Did not ask about the other video at:- ISM Training Video
    when he said "I'm in the right lane, so I must come off in the right lane" because at the next roundabout he enters in the right comes off in the left. Also voice over says the same.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,228 ✭✭✭✭briany

BoGMY1d.png

This is a roundabout with 3 exits out the back of Dublin airport. Going by the advice of this thread, if approaching via the arrow and going the first exit, I would signal left on the approach, just the same as if the first exit were in the standard 9 'o clock position? 'cause up 'til now, I've just been treating it as a standard straight through.

briany wrote: »
    BoGMY1d.png

This is a roundabout with 3 exits out the back of Dublin airport. Going by the advice of this thread, if approaching via the arrow and going the first exit, I would signal left on the approach, just the same as if the first exit were in the standard 9 'o clock position? 'cause up 'til now, I've just been treating it as a standard straight through.

Please don’t resurrect 7 year old threads.

To answer your question though, no signal on the approach and signal at 9 o’clock

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement