Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What's your favorite historic irish landmark/site

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 31 ParsleyQueen

I was awed by Kilmainham Gaol. They did a wonderful job turning it into a memorial and museum. It was very touching, and the guide we had was excellent.

I also find Drumcliff Cemetary with Ben Bulben looming in the distance to be especially dramatic.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,577 ✭✭✭jonniebgood1

Speaking of being awed reminded me of a visit to Arigna mine. In terms of heritage the tour here brings in a lot of aspects from the tough working environment of the mine to the only other option for young men in the area, emigration through much of the 20th century. The guides here are still some of the men who actually worked in the mines and can recount memories of events in the mine, as opposed to telling stories from others (the point being a raised sense of authenticity). http://www.arignaminingexperience.ie/
    Miner-Eugene-McPartlan-exiting-mine-in-Arigna-C.-Derek-Speirs.jpgMiner-Eugene-McPartlan-exiting-mine-in-Arigna

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,676 ✭✭✭✭herisson

Kilmainham is my favourite by far.

Glasnevin Cemetery and Vinegar Hill in Enniscorthy, are very interesting too.

Advertisement