Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Electricity Supply: Dips in Voltage Supply to your home ( Brownouts )

Options
  • 11-01-2014 8:02pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭

How many people in Ireland experience:

1. Brown outs at peak demand? Morning time roughly 7am to 9am. Evening time 5pm to 7pm.

A brownout is an intentional or unintentional drop in voltage in an electrical power supply system. Intentional brownouts are used for load reduction in an emergency.[1] The reduction lasts for minutes or hours, as opposed to short-term voltage sag (or dip). The term brownout comes from the dimming experienced by lighting when the voltage sags.

By County.

How many people in Ireland experience Brown outs. A Dip in Electricity Supply 16 votes

Carlow
    0% 0 votes
    Cavan
    12% 2 votes
    Clare
    0% 0 votes
    Cork
    6% 1 vote
    Donegal
    12% 2 votes
    Dublin
    0% 0 votes
    Galway
    25% 4 votes
    Kerry
    0% 0 votes
    Kildare
    6% 1 vote
    Kilkenny
    0% 0 votes
    Laois
    0% 0 votes
    Leitrim
    6% 1 vote
    Limerick
    0% 0 votes
    Longford
    0% 0 votes
    Louth
    0% 0 votes
    Mayo
    0% 0 votes
    Meath
    6% 1 vote
    Offaly
    12% 2 votes
    Roscommon
    6% 1 vote
    Sligo
    0% 0 votes
    Tipperary
    0% 0 votes
    Waterford
    0% 0 votes
    Westmeath
    0% 0 votes
    Wexford
    6% 1 vote
    Wicklow
    0% 0 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,409 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

How would you know.

I'll ignore the obvious puns.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,720 ✭✭✭Sir Arthur Daley

Was thinking of a different brownout, nevermind..

• Registered Users Posts: 78,253 ✭✭✭✭Victor

The worst I ever get is the occasional flicker. In Ireland, there is normally plenty of generating capacity.
    Kippure wrote: »
    1. Brown outs at peak demand? Morning time roughly 7am to 9am. Evening time 7pm to 9pm.
    We don't get a morning peak, although there is a slight midday one. http://www.sem-o.com/Pages/default.aspx
    By County.
    Did you mean to post more?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,944 ✭✭✭✭4zn76tysfajdxp

My electricity is always piping hot when I get it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,465 ✭✭✭✭darkpagandeath

Mostly in the Evening after 7pm lights go dim then brighten back up can be a few times a night no actual power outages unless there is a fault

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

What kind of poll doesn't allow us to say we do not experience brownouts? I never do. Voltage levels and continuity are excellent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭Conmaicne Mara

Victor wrote: »
    Did you mean to post more?

Sure Monaghan hasn't gotten electrickery yet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Oh, and peak demand in Ireland is is between 17:00 and 19:00. Where did you get 19:00 to 21:00 from? Demand at 9pm is as low as 6am!

Check out the Eirgrid daily system demand reports.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

Never experienced a 'Brownout' Ever. The only time there's an issue is when
    There's an outage due to storm damage or whatever but that's hardly ESBs fault and it's never been off for more than an hour or too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭Kippure

Sure Monaghan hasn't gotten electrickery yet.

Sorry mate Poll only allows 25. Ive just PM a mod. Might get you in.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭Kippure

Oh, and peak demand in Ireland is is between 17:00 and 19:00. Where did you get 19:00 to 21:00 from? Demand at 9pm is as low as 6am!

Check out the Eirgrid daily system demand reports.

I stand corrected. My Fault.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

I thought brownouts only occurred in north america..
    We actually have a fantastic electricity supply system in this country. We take it for granted.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,793 ✭✭✭Sir Osis of Liver.

Only once ,after a Guinness session.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

I voted for Dublin.

What was the question again?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭Miss Lockhart

No. Don't ever remember one happening and I can't remember any blackouts in the last 10 years.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,732 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Victor wrote: »
    The worst I ever get is the occasional flicker. In Ireland, there is normally plenty of generating capacity.
    http://www.eirgrid.com/operations/systemperformancedata/systemdemand/

today's peak demand was 4GW , record demand ever was 5.09 GW

http://www.eirgrid.com/operations/systemperformancedata/windgeneration/
    there was very little wind energy at noon, but by tomorrow we should be getting up to 1.5GW

We have oodles of spare capacity for the foreseeable future. Even if demand were to increase dramatically we could simply delay phasing out some plants
    http://www.eirgrid.com/operations/systemperformancedata/capacityadequacyindicator/

Brown outs are usually locally overloaded sections of the grid.

Oddly enough as we move to more devices with multi voltage SMPSU's they might not be noticed as much in future. CFL's, LED's shouldn't be as affected as much if the control electronics are up to scratch. Laptops and computers and TV's should keep going through temporary dips too. Heating systems have a long response time.

Big problem with the poll.

Dublin has 40 times the population of Leitrim and Cork is 9 times the size of Louth. West coast areas will get more storm damage.

Would be more meaningful if the polls contained more equal areas - perhaps based on constituencies outside the main cities https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Parliamentary_constituencies_in_the_Republic_of_Ireland

Or based on how far people are from their nearest substation
    https://www.esb.ie/esbnetworks/en/about-us/our_networks/

• Registered Users Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

I voted for Dublin.

What was the question again?

It's a poll to find out what county is the most averse to electrocuting their nipples.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭AlanS181824

Only recently would it happen that my lights would flicker.

Big problem with the poll.

Dublin has 40 times the population of Leitrim and Cork is 9 times the size of Louth. West coast areas will get more storm damage.

Would be more meaningful if the polls contained more equal areas - perhaps based on constituencies outside the main cities https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Parliamentary_constituencies_in_the_Republic_of_Ireland

Or based on how far people are from their nearest substation
    https://www.esb.ie/esbnetworks/en/about-us/our_networks/
    Yes, the electricity network bears no relationship to the county boundaries at all.

As it is the network has been vastly improved in recent years.
    I remember back in the 1970s when brownouts were almost an everyday occurrence if you lived in a remote rural location, every time the farmer switched on the milking machines the voltage would dip by about 20%

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

Never experienced a dip in voltage.

I vaguely remember not having electricity once though, like 4 or 5 years ago. The fault was fixed within an hour.

Also, the poll is stupid. The population of Ireland isn't evenly distributed between 25 counties and neither is the boards user base. Should be a simple yes or no.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,973 ✭✭✭Sh1tbag OToole

No problem with the power here except sometimes there is a bit of cryptosporidium mixed in with it

• Registered Users Posts: 3,745 ✭✭✭laugh

Just yesterday I was countin me electrons and there was definitely less than expected.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Blackouts?
    Brownouts?

Something smells racist here...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

You must be a fair distance from the nearest substation, or next door the a major heavy industrial user.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,513 ✭✭✭whupdedo

I had a blackout last Saturday night, but when I woke up i noticed I had done a brownout on the bed

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,732 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

laugh wrote: »
    Just yesterday I was countin me electrons and there was definitely less than expected.
    The thing about AC is that on average the electrons don't move, they just move back and forth.

If there's any missing it's defo some thievery at your end, I'd suggest CCTV

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

I have experienced several brownouts but they were usually preceeded by a rake of pints and a kebab

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6 pizzathis

In the last week my tumble dryer has broke and the motor has gone in the Hoover I believe this is down to these brownouts when the voltage drops has anybody else experienced these issues

Advertisement