Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rotterdam Marathon 2014

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,135 ✭✭✭rom

I heard it can be windy also. Lets hope it ain't.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭ultrapercy

Looking at last years results the 5k between 30 and 35 seem significantly slower than the rest of the course.Some of the runners near the front lost up to a minute here. Is there a major hill or gradual drag on this section? The 2nd half generally looks the slower of the two halves, so maybe a positive split is the best plan?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,307 ✭✭✭T runner

ultrapercy wrote: »
    Looking at last years results the 5k between 30 and 35 seem significantly slower than the rest of the course.Some of the runners near the front lost up to a minute here. Is there a major hill or gradual drag on this section? The 2nd half generally looks the slower of the two halves, so maybe a positive split is the best plan?

A friend (gunning for sub 2:30) who ran last year sent me a quick report.

Sun came out at 25k (it was hot) and they turned into a head wind at 32k after having a tail wind from 16k-32k. Looking at the course after 35k you turn again and are sheltered so 35k-40k would have been faster.

That explains the relatively slow 5k from 30-35k and the positive splits. Wind and heat starting to take its toll.

The second half is as fast as the first. The road in the park after 30k is flat smooth and lightening fast. The section (like a tooth) from 34-35k has some smalls sections of flat cobbles. Only cost 2 second there though.

If youre in good shape hitting that park, youre in with a great chance (wind aside). Its fast.

The start of Rotterdam across the bridge is tight. I was in pen B and there were people in there who shouldn't be. If youre gunning for sub 2:30 or anything under 2:45...and are in pen B, Move to the front of it. Don't think twice about it. There was actually a portaloo near the top, if its there use it and stay up there. You can be in your pen 10-15 mins before kick off and easily get into position. If you don't You might spend the first 10k catching the big 2:30 group. On a windy day, you could spend the whole race trying to catch them in the wind.
    I had a negative split of 1 min, mostly due to poor starting position costing me on a windy day. The wind isn't an issue once youre grouped.

The heat obviously is a different story. Forecast looks promising though

• Registered Users Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭ultrapercy

T runner wrote: »
    A friend (gunning for sub 2:30) who ran last year sent me a quick report.

Sun came out at 25k (it was hot) and they turned into a head wind at 32k after having a tail wind from 16k-32k. Looking at the course after 35k you turn again and are sheltered so 35k-40k would have been faster.

That explains the relatively slow 5k from 30-35k and the positive splits. Wind and heat starting to take its toll.

The second half is as fast as the first. The road in the park after 30k is flat smooth and lightening fast. The section (like a tooth) from 34-35k has some smalls sections of flat cobbles. Only cost 2 second there though.

If youre in good shape hitting that park, youre in with a great chance (wind aside). Its fast.

The start of Rotterdam across the bridge is tight. I was in pen B and there were people in there who shouldn't be. If youre gunning for sub 2:30 or anything under 2:45...and are in pen B, Move to the front of it. Don't think twice about it. There was actually a portaloo near the top, if its there use it and stay up there. You can be in your pen 10-15 mins before kick off and easily get into position. If you don't You might spend the first 10k catching the big 2:30 group. On a windy day, you could spend the whole race trying to catch them in the wind.
    I had a negative split of 1 min, mostly due to poor starting position costing me on a windy day. The wind isn't an issue once youre grouped.

The heat obviously is a different story. Forecast looks promising though
    thanks T runner, thats very helpfull. Hope your comeback is going well.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,065 ✭✭✭dublin runner

ultrapercy wrote: »

Could be mainly down to the heat last year? Looked like a really hot one. That type of heat would really effect my race, i'd lose a lot more than 1 minute.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 799 ✭✭✭wowzer

http://www.accuweather.com/en/nl/rotterdam/251688/morning-weather-forecast/251688?day=11

Near perfect conditions on the day in the forecast so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,135 ✭✭✭rom

Is there a blue line ?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭blockic

rom wrote: »
    Is there a blue line ?

Nope

• Registered Users Posts: 8,080 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

blockic wrote: »
    Nope

And Blocky should know he had a good look :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭blockic

BeepBeep67 wrote: »
    And Blocky should know he had a good look :pac:

:D sure did! Ha.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,765 ✭✭✭corny

Username|Race Number|PB|Target time|Actual Time
    Corny|?|N/A|3:59:59|

Time to call it?

Have no great ambition myself. Injury interrupted prep has me focused solely on finishing.

Stole the table from the London thread btw.;)

dublin runner||2.58:53|>2.50

Great idea.

More importantly where's the party after??!

The weather looks good so here's hoping. Best of luck to everyone and the final countdown (God, it's dragging! :))

• Registered Users Posts: 1,771 ✭✭✭jebuz

dublin runner||2.58:53|>2.50
    jebuz|8972|2:54:46|2:47:46|

Time to call it! feeling confident of going under 2:50 and why not scrape some more off while I'm at it, also I seem to finish a lot of races on the 46 second mark :o

BTW if you want your race number, find it here

dublin runner|10082|2.58:53|>2.50

jebuz wrote: »
    [/TABLE]

Time to call it! feeling confident of going under 2:50 and why not scrape some more off while I'm at it, also I seem to finish a lot of races on the 46 second mark :o

BTW if you want your race number, find it here

Excellent, thanks! Is your plan still to head out at 1.24 for halfway?

Excellent, thanks! Is your plan still to head out at 1.24 for halfway?

Yep still the plan, and then 1:23:46 in the second half ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,802 ✭✭✭statss

wowzer wrote: »
    http://www.accuweather.com/en/nl/rotterdam/251688/morning-weather-forecast/251688?day=11

Near perfect conditions on the day in the forecast so far.

what are you targetting pal? training gone well since Bohermeen?

jebuz wrote: »
    Yep still the plan, and then 1:23:46 in the second half ;)

I like it :) I'll send you a mail and i'll tag along if still ok!

I like it :) I'll send you a mail and i'll tag along if still ok!

Absolutely, though I think it might be a case of me tagging on to you after 20 miles the way you've been training!

• Registered Users Posts: 799 ✭✭✭wowzer

statss wrote: »
    what are you targetting pal? training gone well since Bohermeen?

Hope all is well with you and the new arrival, they turn your world upside down dont they, it's all good though.

Im a bit undecided to be honest, push for 3.10 or sit in with pacer and a buddy for 3.15. Bohermeen half time puts me in 3.08 territory but im not too confident of pushing for it.

Training has been solid and consistent. I've taken a different approach this time and stayed away from the track interval type sessions in place of adding a lot of extra mileage to my week. Running 60-65 miles a week is a big jump from my DCM training.

Only now I'm starting to question if this was the right thing to do, in taper mode so doubts are slowly creeping in.

Either way I'll be happy as long as I make it to the pub for the Liverpool game.

Looking forward to it now and the nerves have really kicked in today.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭mdlb

dublin runner|10082|2.58:53|>2.50
    mdlb|7994|3:29:52|3:24:59

Be happy to trim a few mins off!

Temperature forecast has been creeping up slowly, let's hope it stays put now, 13°

http://www.accuweather.com/en/nl/rotterdam/251688/weekend-weather/251688

• Closed Accounts Posts: 163 ✭✭Badreputation

Paddy Murphys Irish bar is a great spot for after race beers. They show all the football as well. Its near the World Trade Center where the expo is on.

Are you sure that's an Irish bar? doesn't sound very Irish. I calculate the city pool game being on at 2:30pm?

I calculate the city pool game being on at 2:30pm?

Ya...2:30. Sales of Miwadi and ballygowan will be thru the roof Saturday afternoon for the football:)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,484 ✭✭✭Trampas

I calculate the city pool game being on at 2:30pm?

Ya...2:30. Sales of Miwadi and ballygowan will be thru the roof Saturday afternoon for the football:)

2.37 and game is Sunday so beers all round

Make you run faster to get in on time

I'm going to have to drink my 3 pints of miwadi really quickly as I'm flying home Sunday :mad:

Trampas wrote: »
    2.37 and game is Sunday so beers all round

Make you run faster to get in on time

Ya... plenty beers Sunday for the game. Wigan v Arsenal Sat evening and probably a game at 4 as well. Will help pass a few hours.

Looking forward to the pint of Guinness already! Don't care how it tastes or how much it costs, i'll bloody enjoy it :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,484 ✭✭✭Trampas

Is the race on any tv over here?

Advertisement