Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Receding Hairline See Mod warning in post #1

Options
  • 12-12-2013 12:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,372 ✭✭✭

As the title says Im looking for advice on products that will help slow down or even stop a receding hairline. I still have a very good head of hair. But in the last 2 years my hairline at the front has started to recede. It isnt very noticeable and if it continues at this rate I wont be going bald any time in the near future! I dont even have a bald patch on the top of my head.

But before it does become a more serious issue I want to take action. I know of some hair loss products, Regaine, Rogaine (not sure if its the same as regaine) Nourkrin and lately I've started seeing a product called Alpecin at my local barbers. So do any of these actually work? Or is there other products I should consider?

I'd really appreciate some advice on this but can we please keep any talk of shaving it off out of the discussion. I dont need to shave it off, Im just trying to talk some early action!

Mod note - Any chat about any drugs that are not over the counter will incur mod actions.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Finasteride is the only drug that has a high success rate of retaining your hairline and preventing further loss, Regaine is good used in conjunction with it, or if you just have a naturally mature receding hairline Regaine might be effective (its not really effective against actual male pattern baldness).

• Registered Users Posts: 5,777 ✭✭✭speedboatchase

OP the main things people say you need are the only two FDA-approved solutions: minoxidil (regaine etc, a liquid or foam) and finasteride (propecia, a daily pill). The Alpecin product you mentioned is a shampoo and probably won't do much.

If, like me, you'd rather weigh up your options while using a treatment rather than worry about hair transplant logistics/costs down the line, look into Toppik too. It's basically like a powder covers up bald spots or receding temples incredibly well, provided you don't have a shaved head etc. Honestly, it's an absolute godsend, provided you use it well. I use it and minoxidil.

One last thing I'll say is be careful with finasteride. I used it for years with no side effects and then I suddenly began to develop gynecomastia (chemically induced moobs not related to being overweight) quite rapidly. Exercise made no difference to the problem and my only resort was surgery to remove it. So I'll never recommend finasteride to anyone.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5 jfeury

Hi, trying to slow your hair loss you have two options, start a very healthy clean diet like me of no gluten, no wheat, no dairy, no processed sugars (in almost all foods), no meat, no fist, basically fruit, veg, nuts and seeds and you will also feel great. This has also halted my hair loss.
    The other option would be a hair transplant, which I had, do not waste your money on other products they will only slow your hair loss but not stop it; there is no cure for hair loss and the only long term solution is a hair transplant.
    I hope this helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Hi Lads,

Im 20 years old and the last 2 months Ive noticed my hair has started receding at the temples. Cant believe how quick its happened because in the summer it was fine.

Ive read through previous threads and a lot of peoples attitude is to just shave it off. I really dont think this is an option at my age without sounding like a bollucks. Is there anything else I can do really? Ive read about rogaine is that viable?

Its a real massive hit to my confidence which wasnt exactly flourishing before :( My father s hair is greying but at nearly 50 it isnt receding but my brothers who is a couple of years older than me has receded heavily and Im seriously worried mine is now going the same way :(

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,095 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Now I could be wrong LH and no doubt better counsel will come along, but IIRC regaine and the like doesn't work much if at all with receding hair. More a treatment for overall thinning at the back of the head.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

I don't know how useful this will be since you're looking for a solution but I was 19/ 20 when I started losing my hair. At 32, I've been shaving it for years and years now but I do remember how tough it is to be so young and to feel like a freak when 99% of people your age won't be thinking about this problem for years to come.

Firstly, I'd be confident in saying that it's probably not as bad as you think. Styling will do an awful lot for people in the early days. People will encourage you to 'rock' the saved head look and I know what it's like to feel like you're anything but rocking. For me, I can now concede that the shaved look does and did suit me despite not feeling it did for the first while. I'm not sure how much to heart you're taking the issue but I would encourage you to think about your own mindset at least as much as focusing on snake oil solutions and don't let the issue lead you down any dark roads. Trust me, whatever happens, you need to find acceptance that your image has/ might/ will change. It is neither a good or bad thing. Just a thing.

Good luck

• Registered Users Posts: 6,744 ✭✭✭raze_them_all_

Why isn't it an option at your age? I have had a mohawk/bald since I was 17

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 NakedClone

Hi lads, I'm panicking big time here.
    I'm not sure if this is the right forum but whatever.

A few weeks ago I noticed the hair at my temples was thinning, needless to say, I was bricking it. Now the hair at my temples has receded and the front is too.

I'm really, really, worrying here because, and I haven't mentioned it yet, I'm only 15. I haven't told my parents yet either.

Is there anything available that can stop this or if not, slow the process?
    Just put yourself in my shoes and understand why I'm worrying so much.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,313 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Mod note: Hi Naked Clone. Welcome to boards. I have merged your question with a similar existing discussion.

Non mod part - Talk to your Dad about it and maybe also your local GP. It is unusual to have hair loss at that age but it does happen sometimes. Take some action to address the issue rather than worrying about it.
    It could happen for any number of reasons and your GP will be the best person to give you some advice on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,372 ✭✭✭Brendan Flowers

Thanks for the feedback so far guys. I've been looking at the options over the last few weeks. I'm going to avoid finasteride, the possible side effects are not worth it imo.

jfurey, well done but I don't think I'd have the will-power to alter my diet so much! A hair transplant is an option. But Im no where near needing one yet. But as long as I can afford it in a few years it definitely something I'd go for.

But at the moment its just about slowing down the receding hairline so maybe by best bet is to try the Regaine shampoo for a while?

• Advertisement

Thanks for the feedback so far guys. I've been looking at the options over the last few weeks. I'm going to avoid finasteride, the possible side effects are not worth it imo.

jfurey, well done but I don't think I'd have the will-power to alter my diet so much! A hair transplant is an option. But Im no where near needing one yet. But as long as I can afford it in a few years it definitely something I'd go for.

But at the moment its just about slowing down the receding hairline so maybe by best bet is to try the Regaine shampoo for a while?

Use Regaine's regular product (foam or liquid) and take a look at the Toppik option I mentioned. It's a godsend.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 stevetalk

I have the same problem with a receding hairline. I know Regaine won't grow my hairline back but does anyone know if it will stop it from receding? I haven't started using it yet and if it doesn't stop my hairline receding then I probably won't use it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭Jofspring

My hair started receding when I was around 18 and to be honest I started shaving it straight away. It didn't bother me at all as it saved on the cost of hair products, going to a barbers, worrying about styles etc...You don't even need to go too tight, just keep it trimmed back a good bit. I find when you have a receding hairline the more hair you have the more obvious it actually makes the receding hairline. A lot of women love a shaved head also and love giving it a rub after a fresh cut.

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭TimotiSt

I did lost a fair amount in a few years (I was 24), I freaked out; then changed to a less stressed job and it's been stable since. In the meantime I also learned no to care about it too much, shave a bit and have a wicked smile... :)

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭Snatchy

Lads, I'm 26 and my hair is going on me fairly lively. Patch at the back and a receding line. Not great! This DOES bother me so I got a blade 3 all around two weeks ago but might clean it up with a blade 2 this weekend. It's less obvious with the shaved head.

Also, started using Alpecine shampoo and liquid after the shower - has anyone used these products before?

• Registered Users Posts: 885 ✭✭✭Dingle_berry

Has no one else thought of what products not to use?
    My hair was noticeably jumping ship in my mid 20s. I was using whatever shampoo I could get, hair wax, hair spray, etc.
    My OH suggested to cut down on the amount of shíte going on my scalp. So no more hair spray, very occasional hair wax (only ones with mainly natural waxes) and no products with Sodium Laurerth Sulfate, DMDM hydantoin, parabens, etc etc.
    It worked for me. After a few days I stopped noticing hair falling out and the next time I went for a haircut they were amazed by the re growth of baby hairs along my hairline. Told my brother to try it and he noticed the same. Said his scalp wasn't as itchy either.
    It hasn't completely reversed or even stopped my hair thinning but my hairline is still where it was 4 years ago and I don't have a bald spot. I don't have gynacomastia or anything like that either

Has no one else thought of what products not to use?
    My hair was noticeably jumping ship in my mid 20s. I was using whatever shampoo I could get, hair wax, hair spray, etc.
    My OH suggested to cut down on the amount of shíte going on my scalp. So no more hair spray, very occasional hair wax (only ones with mainly natural waxes) and no products with Sodium Laurerth Sulfate, DMDM hydantoin, parabens, etc etc.
    It worked for me. After a few days I stopped noticing hair falling out and the next time I went for a haircut they were amazed by the re growth of baby hairs along my hairline. Told my brother to try it and he noticed the same. Said his scalp wasn't as itchy either.
    It hasn't completely reversed or even stopped my hair thinning but my hairline is still where it was 4 years ago and I don't have a bald spot. I don't have gynacomastia or anything like that either

95% of hair loss is male pattern baldness. Sounds like you were the other 5%. If you suffer male pattern baldness then you can change the cosmetics you use and your diet but the best result you can hope for is that it delays the hair loss; it won't reverse it.

95% of hair loss is male pattern baldness. Sounds like you were the other 5%. If you suffer male pattern baldness then you can change the cosmetics you use and your diet but the best result you can hope for is that it delays the hair loss; it won't reverse it.

My hair is still thinning but it's definitely not thinning or receding as fast as it was. I would be bald by 30 if it had kept going the way it was.

My hair is still thinning but it's definitely not thinning or receding as fast as it was. I would be bald by 30 if it had kept going the way it was.

What are the natural waxes you use now? Are they available in most chemists?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

It always kinda amazes me how people feel they can pass comment on the fact that I'm going light on top.

I'll meet someone i haven't seen for a while and one of the first things they will say is "jaysus you're losing the hair", as if I'm not consious of the fact already.

Personally I shave it to number 1 level now, it's not ideal because I had fairly good hair and not keen on the look but it's mking the best of a bad situation.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭Jofspring

It always kinda amazes me how people feel they can pass comment on the fact that I'm going light on top.

I'll meet someone i haven't seen for a while and one of the first things they will say is "jaysus you're losing the hair", as if I'm not consious of the fact already.

Personally I shave it to number 1 level now, it's not ideal because I had fairly good hair and not keen on the look but it's mking the best of a bad situation.

I have to agree with you there about people passing comments. While actually losing the hair never really bothered me, people constantly commenting on it did. Could you imagine walking up to someone and saying "Jesus your starting to look a bit fat".

What are the natural waxes you use now? Are they available in most chemists?
    The closest I've found so far is Schwarzkopf Got2b™ beach Matt but it's still full of shíte so I use it very rarely and very sparingly. Using gels, pomades or too much of any product sticks my hair together as well, making more of the scalp shine through making my hair look thinner than it is

• Registered Users Posts: 22,646 ✭✭✭✭Sauve

Mod
    Threads merged

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 22 Shrills

I hear emu oil is very good to combat baldness, also scalp loosening has been successful for some in both stopping and reversing hair loss. There was a study which concluded that scalp massage can reverse hair loss.

People who go bald at a young age usually have a tight scalp. For some reason the tight areas lack subcutaneous fat. When you loosen the scalp the subcutaneous fat returns. There are numerous reports of it returning along with regrowth at the immortal hair forum.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,095 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

FWIW I can attest to stress being a cause, in some cases anyway. 10 odd years ago I had a right cúnt of a year involving the bereavements of close family and a close friend in the space of 3 months(and other upheavals to boot). Within a few months I kicked off classic male baldness(particularly in the top of my head region), unusual for my kin. Coming out in handfuls time. We're talking full bald patch, 3, 4 inches in old money across at the back time(even my beard and body(especially leg) hair started to get patchy). It merely added to the general freaked out shít at the time. After a while when I came to some sort of terms with the shít, almost as a side thought, my hair started to grow back and a year after it grew back to where it had been before. Maybe when stress hits your scalp muscles clench of something? Might be why some see results from scalp massage? It's not so much the massage, but the relaxing of the muscles kinda thing?

A good mate of mine had similar. His male rellies, on both sides, are like an advert for shampoo going way back. Yet he started to go all over diffuse hair loss in his 30's. Again huge stress and a crappy lifestyle which compounded it. He eased back on the stress and changed his lifestyle and his hair started to grow back.

IMH and it is just my humble, I reckon a fair bit of male hair loss is environmental. More than is acknowledged anyway. I did read of research(with twins IIRC) that showed hair loss from the crown and overall loss was much more environmental, but hair loss from the front was much more genetic.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

Has anyone tried the Nourkrin tablets?

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭Iopu

Does anyone know where to get finisterade in Dublin? Do gp's prescribe it? I know a hair loss clinic in blackrock prescribe's it but they charge a lot for a consultation. I am aware of the possible sides and will discontinue taking it if I get any.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Dozen Wicked Words

Didn't realise Finasteride was useful in treating hairloss. I have often seen it used in treatment of enlarged prostate issues though. Have seen the side effects too, moobs aren't a great look, particularly on an otherwise thin man, but I would imagine that issue only affects a limited number of users.

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭Iopu

Didn't realise Finasteride was useful in treating hairloss. I have often seen it used in treatment of enlarged prostate issues though. Have seen the side effects too, moobs aren't a great look, particularly on an otherwise thin man, but I would imagine that issue only affects a limited number of users.

It's the number one treatment for hair loss. But at a lower dose than for prostate enlargement. There are some scary stories out there about it. But there is also a hair loss forum I was visiting with many people saying they don't get any side effects from it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Dozen Wicked Words

Iopu wrote: »
    It's the number one treatment for hair loss. But at a lower dose than for prostate enlargement. There are some scary stories out there about it. But there is also a hair loss forum I was visiting with many people saying they don't get any side effects from it.

Certainly wouldn't do any harm asking your gp if you think it will be of use to you. I personally would be wary of any medication that is affecting hormone production and how the body processes it for anything other than treatment of an illness.

Advertisement