Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Rail - where the hell are you supposed to buy these €9.99 train tickets?

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,761 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

As said, book 3 days in advance. I was going to cork last Saturday to buy a car. On Wednesday the journey was 9.99 online, but as I hadn't the deal done I didn't book. When I done the deal the following day, they were 32.99!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

Jamie2k9 wrote: »
    9.99 each way, each passenger + the extra 2 euro charge which is stated on the T & C of the adds.

There's no mention of any extra charge on the radio ads I heard last night

• Registered Users Posts: 10,685 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

There's no mention of any extra charge on the radio ads I heard last night

Like all adds there will be a very small line and the end of screen saying see T & C's.

Like all adds there will be a very small line and the end of screen saying see T & C's.

Very few radio ads display anything on a screen, in my limited experience

Very few radio ads display anything on a screen, in my limited experience

Sorry misread you post but if it doesn't say T & C's apply it says fares FROM 9.99 and NOT 9.99 fares available.

• Advertisement

Sorry misread you post but if it doesn't say T & C's apply it says fares FROM 9.99 and NOT 9.99 fares available.

From implies an inclusive bound

If there were not €9.99 fares available, why would IÉ not advertise fares from a penny?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,039 ✭✭✭Hilly Bill

From implies an inclusive bound

If there were not €9.99 fares available, why would IÉ not advertise fares from a penny?

Because they dont have any for a penny.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,267 ✭✭✭markpb

Hilly Bill wrote: »
    Because they dont have any for a penny.

They don't have any at 9.99 either if the online booking / card charge is unavoidable (online).

markpb wrote: »
    They don't have any at 9.99 either if the online booking / card charge is unavoidable (online).

They do , its the same when you buy a lot of things online.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,597 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

They do , its the same when you buy a lot of things online.

I'm sorry but no it isn't

Postage and packaging fair enough, but this isn't.

It is like Tesco sellinga bottle of milk for €1 and then charging you a 50cent "Admin" charge for using the till!

The EU actually stopped Ryanair and other airlines from doing this. Now they have to include all "admin" charges up front and I believe Irish Rail should be made to do the same.

Really is a rotten marketing trick, with no moral justification.

• Advertisement

bk wrote: »
    I'm sorry but no it isn't

Postage and packaging fair enough, but this isn't.

It is like Tesco sellinga bottle of milk for €1 and then charging you a 50cent "Admin" charge for using the till!

The EU actually stopped Ryanair and other airlines from doing this. Now they have to include all "admin" charges up front and I believe Irish Rail should be made to do the same.

Really is a rotten marketing trick, with no moral justification.

Did you ever buy tickets for an event or show on line?

You are getting it cheaper than at the desk or TVM So that bit about Tesco doesnt make sense. The charge is clearly there before you pay.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,295 ✭✭✭n97 mini

One operator is particularly notorious for this, and has been tacked in the UK over it where they now display the booking fee as part of the price.

290251.PNG

290252.PNG

• Registered Users Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭murphym7

I don't know how people have such problems finding the 9.99 fares, they won't be available on peak Friday-Sunday services but for the majority of other services they are available up to 3 days before departure however to be sure its always wise to book earlier than that unless there is a big event on.

A tip if anyone going to 1D concerts in April/May you must book end of Feb/ear March to get the few 9.99 fares that will be out, not point booking close to the time as fares will be up. It's the same with all major events. Once IE see a certain service filling up fast they will rise the fares to the next bracket.

This.
    I booked peak time trains at 9.99 for myself and a buddy to go up to Dublin in November, no hassle, about 4 weeks in advance. I was hoping to do the same for a 6N match in Dublin in March, checked last week and the train up and down was 9.99 each way. Got paid yesterday and went to book them, they are now 19.99. Train down was the same. So booking a week apart has cost me another 40.00. My fault for not booking in time, but the cheaper fare was available on the day of a 6N match for me if I booked last week.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,597 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

The fact that the only comparable company you can come up with is that company that can't be named here on boards for legal reasons and which absolutely everyone despises, just goes to show how morally wrong this practice is.

The fact that the only comparable company you can come up with is that company that can't be named here on boards for legal reasons and which absolutely everyone despises, just goes to show how morally wrong this practice is.

Ryanair penalise people who pay with credit cards over debit cards.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,263 ✭✭✭bikeman1

Ryanair penalise people who pay with credit cards over debit cards.

Yes, but if you pay with your debit card you get the advertised fare.

With Irish Rail it is impossible to PAY €9.99 for an intercity fare. You HAVE to pay the booking fee. Therefore the ads are false. No mention of booking fee on them.

bikeman1 wrote: »
    Yes, but if you pay with your debit card you get the advertised fare.

With Irish Rail it is impossible to PAY €9.99 for an intercity fare. You HAVE to pay the booking fee. Therefore the ads are false. No mention of booking fee on them.

They don't say fares are 9.99 they say from 9.99 and as the WRC fares are less the ads are not false.

n97 mini wrote: »
    One operator is particularly notorious for this, and has been tacked in the UK over it where they now display the booking fee as part of the price.

290251.PNG

290252.PNG

The Irish one is not inclusive of the booking fees.

Strange. I cant see where i mentioned any particular company.
    Whats the legal reason that this company of yours cant be named?
    How do you know that everyone despises them? You can only speak for yourself.
    How is it morally wrong?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,263 ✭✭✭bikeman1

Have a look at the attached photo I took on the DART today, can you show me where I can PAY €9.99 in total for a fare to Belfast or Wexford??

There is not one mention of any booking fee. HB, stop trying to defend the indefensible.

• Advertisement

Have a look at the attached photo I took on the DART today, can you show me where I can PAY €9.99 in total for a fare to Belfast or Wexford??

There is not one mention of any booking fee. HB, stop trying to defend the indefensible.

The poster doesnt say In Total. Either way its still a good bit cheaper than the walk up fare. Irish Rail reduce some fares and people still find something to complain about :).

The Irish one is not inclusive of the booking fees.

That's the point.

It is not possible to make an informed decision until you have all the facts, which you are not being presented with.

Irish Rail could claim "Intercity fares starting at 99 cent" and charge a €10 booking fee at the end. It amounts to the same thing.

Main point is that they havent.

Main point is that they havent.

But in this case they have.

Please show me where I can get a ticket to Belfast for exactly €9.99 ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 299 ✭✭Copyerselveson

So if there was no booking fee would you take the train?

That poster is false advertising, plain and simple.

Maybe a group of us should send a letter to the Comsumer Association about false advertising from IE?

You have replied to something different BK :).

n97 mini wrote: »
    That poster is false advertising, plain and simple.

Maybe a group of us should send a letter to the Comsumer Association about false advertising from IE?

Go for it, let us know how you get on. Start a thread in Legal Discussion and see what those in the know say about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 734 ✭✭✭DundalkDuffman

Travelling to Cork on Tuesday 21st of Jan and returning on the 22nd Jan there are lots of €9.99 fares available.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,511 ✭✭✭Heisenberg1

Did you look at the date I posted that comment ?? On that day there was plenty of 9.99 fares available for the dates I gave.

Advertisement