Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Timeshift Settings on Vix

Options
  • 08-01-2014 1:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,624 ✭✭✭

Hi,

Would be grateful for some help setting up the timeshift settings on Vix (latest image).

I have connected a portable hard drive which I had previously formatted to ext3. I see an option in the settings to format it to ext4. Do I need to do this?

After that what should I do. The options are:

1 - Automatically start timeshift after disabled/enabled

2 - Show warning when timeshift is stopped yes/no

3 - Timeshift save action on zap ask user/save and stop/save and record/don't save

4 - Stop timeshift when recording no/yes

5 - Use timeshift seekbar while timeshifting yes/no

Or is there anything else that I need to know?

Thank you

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭STB

Timeshift will work in any EXT format (2, 3, 4)

Make sure that the device is mounted in Mount Manger. If it is then it should be working.

There is an option in Vix recoding menu for instant and permanent timeshift that you might want to check.

If none of this helps, you may want to reinitialise in Mount Manager. If its not in the ext format when you go to re-iniitalise it will format the disK and everything on it!

I dont use timeshift myself, nor Vix at present as it aint availble for the new Gigablues.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,624 ✭✭✭iba

STB wrote: »
    Timeshift will work in any EXT format (2, 3, 4)

Make sure that the device is mounted in Mount Manger. If it is then it should be working.

There is an option in Vix recoding menu for instant and permanent timeshift that you might want to check.

If none of this helps, you may want to reinitialise in Mount Manager. If its not in the ext format when you go to re-iniitalise it will format the disK and everything on it!

I dont use timeshift myself, nor Vix at present as it aint availble for the new Gigablues.

Thanks STB

OK, I think I set it up okay then because I did mount it and I set up EPG on it (I was able to find a thread in WoS on how to do that). I just came across an option in the Vix menu to format the disk to ext4 and I was not sure if I needed to do that. So ext3 is fine and I will leave it at that I guess.

I know there are loads of things that I can do with the box but I still know so little. Little by little I'll get there I guess.

Cheers.

Install the OnDemand Plugin for BBC/ITV/RTE/Tv3 Player. Its deadly.

Make sure all your picons are installed on a dedicated USb stick. Use same said stick for swapfile and epg.

STB wrote: »
    Install the OnDemand Plugin for BBC/ITV/RTE/Tv3 Player. Its deadly.

Make sure all your picons are installed on a dedicated USb stick. Use same said stick for swapfile and epg.

I have OnDemand installed - that is the only plugin I have installed.

ah, actually I was going to use the portable HDD for both recording and the EPG - but I will now do as you say and put the EPG onto a seperate USB stick - although it will look ugly as there is only one USB port at the back of the box in which I have the HDD going into and one on the front - so I will have to put the USB a stick in there.

I have seen the word Picon but I do not know anything about them/what they are/what they do.

I have not come across 'swapfile' at all before.

iba wrote: »
    I have OnDemand installed - that is the only plugin I have installed.

ah, actually I was going to use the portable HDD for both recording and the EPG - but I will now do as you say and put the EPG onto a seperate USB stick - although it will look ugly as there is only one USB port at the back of the box in which I have the HDD going into and one on the front - so I will have to put the USB a stick in there.

I have seen the word Picon but I do not know anything about them/what they are/what they do.

I have not come across 'swapfile' at all before.

Its up to yourself. I prefer to keep some things like picons, epg data swap file on a 8 gig pen drive so as not to be using the internal memory. I only connect a HDD if I want to record something.

Picons are the station logo pictures that appear on the info bar and on the epg.

grab-1.png

When installing them make sure you install them to the USB/Hard Drive as they eat up internal memory.

The best place for Vix tutorials is over at WOS

Only install what you want or you will slow down the box :)

• Advertisement

Thanks for that STB - good tips there.

New plan, stick my 8gb drive in teh back where it was before and add the Picon to it and only plug in the HDD to the front when needed - no ugliness that way :)

Yeah I had read not to install the EPG onto the internal flash at it eats up the memory and not to install stuff that is not needed - thus the reason I only installed OnDemand.

I know WoS is the best site - but Goddammit, sometimes it is well hard to find what one is looking for there - well at least that is my opinion. I actually have a few posts there under the gigablue threads.

When I set up the EPG I used these instructions for example:

http://www.world-of-satellite.com/showthread.php?15585-How-to-setup-Crossepg-in-all-ViX-Images&

Again thanks for your help

I have been reading about Picons this morning and they have me a bit confused (no surprise there eh)

Anyway I am not sure if I can download them directly to the box as a Plugin as I found a list of them in the menu and one in particular called tv-sandman.28e

Or should I follow the tutorial as set out here and FTP them:

http://www.world-of-satellite.com/showthread.php?9736-How-to-setup-picons-onto-usb-stick-ViX

Or is there another way that I should be doing it. As I mentioned earlier, I do find it hard at times to find the correct threads in WoS

Thanks

I got an answer to my previous post pasted below in case it helps anybody else:

Hi mate, best ones n maintenance free are available in the plugins section. Menu -> Plugins -> Green Button -> Picons -> scroll up or down and locate 'tv-ocram.shd.xxxxx' and press the ok button to install.
    If your usb is inserted should give the option to install to usb

Installing via plugins will need no maintenance on your part as they will automatically update when channels get moved, where as if you ftp them over you will have to maintain yourself and can be very time consuming.

• Registered Users Posts: 542 ✭✭✭Nemanrio

Sorry lads, I'm new to this.

I have a vu solo 2, but ondemand isn't on my list of plugins.

How would I get this set up in its entirety?

Thanks in advance.

• Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭red bellied

Nemanrio wrote: »
    Sorry lads, I'm new to this.

I have a vu solo 2, but ondemand isn't on my list of plugins.

How would I get this set up in its entirety?

Thanks in advance.

Sounds like you might be using Blackhole image, its not on their download feeds. You can add it by telnet to the box using these commands.
    opkg update
    opkg install enigma2-plugin-extensions-ondemand.

I know it can be added directly as a plugin from either Vix or Atv images.

Also if you want BBC and ITV player to work you need to sign up to the https://gatekeeper.tunlr.net/registration

• Advertisement

Sounds like you might be using Blackhole image, its not on their download feeds. You can add it by telnet to the box using these commands.
    opkg update

Also if you want BBC and ITV player to work you need to sign up to the https://gatekeeper.tunlr.net/registration

I'm not too sure what you mean by telnet and what do I do with these commands

My solo is running vix already,would that change the way I do it?

No need for the telnet commands, you can download it directly from the feeds in Vix.

Go into menu, plugins, press the green button to download and then go to extensions and scroll down until you find ondemand.

No need for the telnet commands, you can download it directly from the feeds in Vix.

Go into menu, plugins, press the green button to download and then go to extensions and scroll down until you find ondemand.

Thanks Red bellied, I'm getting the message "Download plugin information. Please wait...", but it seems to be taking ages, is this correct?

Should the bbc i player and itv player work because when I try to use one of them I encounter a software problem. ?

Thanks Red bellied, I'm getting the message "Download plugin information. Please wait...", but it seems to be taking ages, is this correct?

Should the bbc i player and itv player work because when I try to use one of them I encounter a software problem. ?

Bit confused.

Is your box connected to the internet?

Have you downloaded the OnDemand Plugin?

If so then just come out of all the menus and press the blue button and click on teh player you want and it should work.

Bit confused.

Is your box connected to the internet?

Have you downloaded the OnDemand Plugin?

If so then just come out of all the menus and press the blue button and click on teh player you want and it should work.

Ya I have it connected via homeplug.

Once I download it, the bbci & itv player dont work properly.

Ya I have it connected via homeplug.

Once I download it, the bbci & itv player dont work properly.

Perhaps try updating your box so that everything is current

and/or uninstall the Ondemand plugin and download it again

Perhaps try updating your box so that everything is current

and/or uninstall the Ondemand plugin and download it again

Are bbc i player and itv player blocked through ondemand?

Are bbc i player and itv player blocked through ondemand?

No

BBC iplayer and Itv player will only work if you sign up for the Tunlr website I linked earlier in the thread. They are geo-locked, you need to log in to the Tunlr website every time there is a change in your ip address or set up a static one with DDNS which is a lot handier.

BBC iplayer and Itv player will only work if you sign up for the Tunlr website I linked earlier in the thread. They are geo-locked, you need to log in to the Tunlr website every time there is a change in your ip address or set up a static one with DDNS which is a lot handier.

Sorry, my mistake.

Got mixed up. I use this on my PC

https://hola.org/

I signed up in tunlr but no email veriication email is coming through - does it normally take a long time or should it be instant?

• Advertisement

Sorry, my mistake.

Got mixed up. I use this on my PC

https://hola.org/

I signed up in tunlr but no email veriication email is coming through - does it normally take a long time or should it be instant?

I can't recall now but usually any verification emails are instant.

I can't recall now but usually any verification emails are instant.

Yes usually.

ust looked on twitter, they have suffered a DDOS attack:

https://twitter.com/Tunlr

Thanks again,I downloaded it but was wondering what do I have to do next?

Thanks again,I downloaded it but was wondering what do I have to do next?

So I presumed you have signed up and subscribed to the free version and then verified your email linked to your Tunlr account? Then go back to the ondemand player on your box and the broken BBC iplayer and Itv player will now work.

So I presumed you have signed up and subscribed to the free version and then verified your email linked to your Tunlr account? Then go back to the ondemand player on your box and the broken BBC iplayer and Itv player will now work.

Thanks it works. Thought I had to do something more.

Thanks for all your help red. Worked a treat.

opkg update

The website doesn't seem tom work at times, is there anoother website that can do the same function?

The website doesn't seem tom work at times, is there anoother website that can do the same function?

Tunlr does not work anymore.

Use this one:

http://www.smartdnsproxy.com/?gclid=CL6f-Pz38bwCFdShtAodtQUABw

Tunlr does not work anymore.

Use this one:

http://www.smartdnsproxy.com/?gclid=CL6f-Pz38bwCFdShtAodtQUABw

What option do I choose to set up? I have a satellitie box.

• Advertisement

What option do I choose to set up? I have a satellitie box.

After you register, click on one of the setups and you will see numbers like below - put them into the box:

Primary DNS : 23.xx.xx.xx
    Secondary DNS : 54.xxx.xxx.xxx

Advertisement