Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sting Vs Undertaker at Wrestlemania

Options
  • 07-01-2014 1:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,054 ✭✭✭

maxresdefault.jpg

bryanno2dffnv.gif

Why does this keep cropping up as a dream match for people? I genuinely can't see the appeal in wasting one of the few remaining Undertaker mania matches on someone like Sting.

I understand that it would probably provide two very cool entrances, but as soon as that bell rings, both guys shortcomings would be very plain to see. Taker does incredible things every year considering his age, but he needs someone who can help paper over the cracks, I really don't think Sting could help Taker do that, in fact I'd say Taker would have to help Sting to a good match.

As well as that, I can't comprehend how people view them as anything close to equal. Looking at the last 5 years for both men, one of them languishes,irrelevant, in a company that is struggling to stay afloat, the other has been the main draw on the biggest show of the year, and more importantly, delivers the goods, on the biggest show of the year, despite his advancing age.

maybe a 1998 sting vs a 2009 Undertaker, but as they are now? I'd actually be sickened if they announced that match. No interest in seeing Sting anywhere near WWE tv.

Thats just my opinion though, I'd be interested in hearing from someone who DOES want the match to happen.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭mitosis

Is that the same Sting as was around in the early/mid 1980s?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭Machismo Fan

Two guys with relatively similar career paths who were top their respective companies and had similarish characters and never faced. It's quite easy to see the appeal. Would they have the best match in the world? Probably not. But at the very least it would be a spectacle. It'd be interesting to see how many WWE fans recognise Sting if he ever did go there (though still being on TV for the last eight years probably helps).

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,134 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

Love the No gif

I can actually hear his voice.

Yeah so screw sting, give it to Bryan instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,753 ✭✭✭✭beakerjoe

Two guys with relatively similar career paths who were top their respective companies and had similarish characters and never faced. It's quite easy to see the appeal. Would they have the best match in the world? Probably not. But at the very least it would be a spectacle. It'd be interesting to see how many WWE fans recognise Sting if he ever did go there (though still being on TV for the last eight years probably helps).

Maybe a few years ago it would of been a beter idea. I see the specticle but I believe it would be a let down considering they are both well past there prime. Both can still go but they would need a younger, quicker guy in there with them to help them through the match.

• Site Banned Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭BMMachine

as is the way with wrestling, records are there to be broken. takers streak needs to be broken by someone, preferably bryan. there is little point in taker keeping it and it would get whoever wins it over huge. I only really want to see taker face one of the new faces on the scene, someone who can realistically win. there was never a chance HHH was gonna beat him and they just had spot fest matches. their first one in 2001 was by far their best too. Sting coming to WWE and wrestling would be fun to see but not against taker as theres just no way hes winning and its another wasted year.

Sting versus Warrior however :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

What a strange combination. Sting is surely way past his prime, and while Taker is still a beast, he's near his end too.

As for Bryan being the one to break the streak, please God no.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,478 ✭✭✭✭gnfnrhead

BMMachine wrote: »
    as is the way with wrestling, records are there to be broken. takers streak needs to be broken by someone, preferably bryan. there is little point in taker keeping it and it would get whoever wins it over huge.

Or you make him the most hated wrestler going for ending the one thing that pretty much everybody loves. Ending the streak could easily be the worst thing you could do.
    their first one in 2001 was by far their best too.

Complete opposite for me. I thought that was the worst.
    Sting coming to WWE and wrestling would be fun to see but not against taker as theres just no way hes winning and its another wasted year.

The only person with any chance of beating Undertaker, is Cena. Everyone else is just another name on the list.

gnfnrhead wrote: »

The only person with any chance of beating Undertaker, is Cena. Everyone else is just another name on the list.

it would do absolutely nothing for cena.
    beating takers streak by turning heel would be absolutely amazing. immediate angles set up, tons of heat, good story to tell.
    takers an old school guy, hes going out on his back. if he doesnt I would be shocked.

fact is, it needs to end. there is absolutely no point in taker keeping it and then retiring. would be like going out with a belt. i mean come on, just put someone over, no need to hogan it :p

• Registered Users Posts: 9,846 ✭✭✭Moneymaker

Time for Sting vs Taker has passed I think. Few years too late.

it would do absolutely nothing for cena.
    beating takers streak by turning heel would be absolutely amazing. immediate angles set up, tons of heat, good story to tell.
    takers an old school guy, hes going out on his back. if he doesnt I would be shocked.

fact is, it needs to end. there is absolutely no point in taker keeping it and then retiring. would be like going out with a belt. i mean come on, just put someone over, no need to hogan it :p

It wont end. If Bryan beats Undertaker this year, and Undertaker wants to wrestle again next year, he has nothing. That's a MASSIVE Wrestlemania attraction gone. It isnt work the risk of ending it. Retirements in wrestling rarely last.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 871 ✭✭✭gerTheGreat

Unfortunately, I think that Moneymaker may be right. Both Sting and Taker are too close to the end of their careers. There's a strong chance that they couldn't pull off the match, which is really unfortunate because there is a generation of people who grew up during the New Generation/ Attitude Era who would have loved it. I don't think as many people this side of the pond care for Sting due to WCW's lack of exposure in the UK and Ireland (as opposed to WWE that was running on Sky), but he was a massive deal. Personally, I'd love to have seen but the only way that I can see it working is in a triple treat match, which I can't see the WWE doing at Mania because of the Streak.

It wont end. If Bryan beats Undertaker this year, and Undertaker wants to wrestle again next year, he has nothing. That's a MASSIVE Wrestlemania attraction gone. It isnt work the risk of ending it. Retirements in wrestling rarely last.

Im not sure. he just wont have the 'streak'. hes still the undertaker after all, he can do more than wrestle at mania and if needs must, he can do a tag match or something. it is totally best for business for someone to end the streak, someone young who the crowd love and who can carry that for their career

• Registered Users Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

The streak is only as good as the end of it. If he never loses it's like....ok he never lost. But when he loses it'll be huge and will gain far more attraction WWE's way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 767 ✭✭✭SimonQuinlank

I don't care if he ends the streak or even wrestles Taker,I just want to see Sting in WWE before he retires!

Taker vs Cena or Taker vs Brock are the only matches I really have any interest in seeing at Mania over the next year or two.

Im not sure. he just wont have the 'streak'. hes still the undertaker after all, he can do more than wrestle at mania and if needs must, he can do a tag match or something. it is totally best for business for someone to end the streak, someone young who the crowd love and who can carry that for their career

Daniel Bryan is 33 this year. Not exactly young. He only has a few years left in him at the top. Then what? You ended the streak for nothing.

You are also vastly under-rating how important the streak is for Wrestlemania.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,629 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

But the streak is gettting less important imo as they run out of believable opponents, the whole point of the streak is to see if he will lose it,and at this point only Cena will be seen as having a chance of doing it. Last year Punk wasn't believable I thought, everyone knew the match would be great and it was, but the streak didnt make it any better. If Paul Bearer hadnt passed away it would have been a very tough sell I think. I dont see Vince giving the green light to WCW/TNA Sting going over one of the WWE's biggest ever stars either, and since the match would be very tough to pull off. I'd have to give it a thumbs down too despite how cool the idea is

If they continue pushing reigns he could be a ideal for this year.

He is not tainted by being over and not in need of something so big.

Best candidate outside Cena to make people think he could win.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 767 ✭✭✭SimonQuinlank

Far too soon,would go the way of Randy Orton's initial rush job main event push.

• Registered Users Posts: 871 ✭✭✭gerTheGreat

Reigns could be an excellent idea for Mania 31 if he was built properly but like SimonQuinlank said, March this year is too soon.

Nobody is going to beat him, not even Cena so Reigns fits for me as it would be differant than the established wrestler.

I disagree that it would be like Ortons first big push.

Its just one match that would give him a nice spotlight on the night. Fits in with how the Shield took out Taker in London.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,790 ✭✭✭Sirsok

I'd like to see sting come in for wrestlemania and possibly face Kane so as not to hamper takers mania match and to give sting the win but the end result I'd like to see taker and sting face off at summerslam

• Registered Users Posts: 11,342 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

Daniel Bryan is 33 this year. Not exactly young. He only has a few years left in him at the top. Then what? You ended the streak for nothing.

he is 32 so barring major injury i don't think bryan is going anywhere for a while. lets consider that flair was 32 in 1981, hogan was 32 in 1985, sting was 32 in 1991, bret hart was 32 in 1989, kevin nash at 32 was playing oz and still 2 years away from signing with wwe, austin was still 2 years away from mania 14, benoit and eddie were still in wcw at that age..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 296 ✭✭LOTD

Daniel Bryan is 33 this year. Not exactly young. He only has a few years left in him at the top.

33 is young for a wrestler, if Bryan stays fit and healthy he could wrestle another decade and a half.

As far as Sting V Undertaker, I would have love to seen it ten years ago preferably, not Sting in a t-shirt or Undertaker with a beer gut. If they did it would have to be a Rock/Hogan type of deal, not the greatest match in the world but they worked the crowd to perfection.

I wouldn't mind even if it wasn't at Wrestlemania because the streak is untouchable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,158 ✭✭✭✭hufpc8w3adnk65

I really don't see Sting jumping. I also think he'll live too regret that big time in years too come!

rossie1977 wrote: »
    he is 32 so barring major injury i don't think bryan is going anywhere for a while. lets consider that flair was 32 in 1981, hogan was 32 in 1985, sting was 32 in 1991, bret hart was 32 in 1989, kevin nash at 32 was playing oz and still 2 years away from signing with wwe, austin was still 2 years away from mania 14, benoit and eddie were still in wcw at that age..

A wrestler's peak today ends around 36/7. Thats 3/4 years assuming no injuries. WWE are usually on the road about 300 days a year. That wasnt the case for nearly everyone you listed. All that travelling takes a lot out of you.

Is it really worth ending the streak to give a bump to someone who could easily be a main eventer already if they wanted? Not for me.
    LOTD wrote: »
    33 is young for a wrestler, if Bryan stays fit and healthy he could wrestle another decade and a half.

So you think he will still be going at 48? Very few go far past 40 these days. Big Show, R-Truth, Tensai and Batista are the only full time wrestlers over 40 on the roster. Christian too but he hasnt wrestled in quite a while. Any one else is part time.

So you think he will still be going at 48? Very few go far past 40 these days. Big Show, R-Truth and Batista are the only full time wrestlers over 40 on the roster. Christian too but he hasnt wrestled in quite a while. Any one else is part time.

Said he could wrestle for another decade and a half if he avoids major injuries and stays healthy or even if he wants to, obviously not in the same capacity as he is now.

• Registered Users Posts: 645 ✭✭✭Vision of Disorder

If Undertaker has a shred of the respect he claims for the business he'll go out on his back. I don't think it will happen though. I realise that I'm in a minority (most likely of one) but I'm completely bored of the streak. We get a spot-laden, stitched together with long spells of inaction, nailed on result in advance match once a year. Obviously it's a big deal to an awful lot of people but it leaves me completely and utterly cold by now.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,013 Mod ✭✭✭✭jaykhunter

I'm not a fan of the taker matches either but i won't deny they're huge Mania selling points. The bigger problem with him doing business on his way out is that nobody in creative or a suit would even *suggest* Taker lose. He'll retire 25-0 (probably), have a DVD made, and that's that. Hooray! Massive potential star-making wasted.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,909 ✭✭✭bradlente

The streak has had its good(HBK,Edge,Orton) and not so good(Henry,Batista) matches.The ones that have really been great have been the ones where it looked possible he would lose it and like others have said it's become less and less likely.I still haven't seen the Punk match from last year.It was probably great but he was never winning it.Cena Taker would bring back that feel.Sting really wouldn't give that at this stage and the match might struggle too.Would still love to see it for what it is and the build-up would be worth it alone.Some sort of triple threat with Sting involved would be awesome but a bit impossible to work.Get a third "super-natural" character in there...Wyatt maybe?

If they really wanted to milk the streak for what it is now he could draw one match with someone,Putting them over while still preserving the streak and then for his last official match lose it,Putting 2 over big time instead of 1.Seems like he might just never have an official last match at this stage though!

Also,Why is Sting flipping me off in that picture,Asshole...

• Advertisement

If Undertaker has a shred of the respect he claims for the business he'll go out on his back. I don't think it will happen though. I realise that I'm in a minority (most likely of one) but I'm completely bored of the streak. We get a spot-laden, stitched together with long spells of inaction, nailed on result in advance match once a year. Obviously it's a big deal to an awful lot of people but it leaves me completely and utterly cold by now.

That's a harsh thing to say about the guy given that he has been in the business 30 years, who seems to be so well respected. I've never heard or seen a bad word said about him, never seems to be ego driven either.

The WWE have painted themselves into a corner with the whole streak, Taker is only going to be there for a few weeks to build a feud and yes you know the result. As for spot laden matches, the guy wrestles 1 match a year, he is going try to make it as spectacular as he can, people don't want to see a good solid match with brilliant holds and technical sound chain wrestling. They want epic, with as much drama as possible.

I do think the streak is becoming a side attraction to Wrestlemania though and it's not serving a purpose to the current product.

Advertisement