Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Artic Truck Cab Parking

Options
  • 07-01-2014 11:25am
    Registered Users Posts: 8,364 ✭✭✭

Anybody know if there is parking restrictions on parking artic cabs in a residential area. Somebody recently has taken to parking one near a property I own.

I think it lowers the tone of the area and is a general eye sore. It is parked illegally either way as it is on the path but aren't their other restrictions on where these are parked and something to do with the transport licence too.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

How heavy would it be?
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=2055040
    Victor wrote: »
    If it is a public road, anyone can park there. You have no right to the road other to use it like anyone else.

A person may not:
    (a) Obstruct an entrance with a vehicle.
    (b) Park a vehicle on the footpath or verge.
    (c) Cause a nuisance or obstruction that would impinge on road safety
    (d) Park a vehicle over a certain weight in an area designated to restrict the parking of vehicles over a certain weight (Much of Dublin City restricts the parking (not stoping or loading / unloading) of vehicles over 3t)
    (e) Park on single / double yellow lines, cycle or bus lane or in a clearway during operational hours.
    (f) Park outside designated parkign space where such are provided.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 71 ✭✭caew

Where I used the live the Management Company didn't allow commerical vehicles to be parked in public areas. There was a truck being parked on the street one over from mine and someone must have complained as the management company stickered it and then I never saw it parked there again.
    I don't know if that was just a rule the management company put in place though.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 13,381 Mod ✭✭✭✭Paulw

caew wrote: »
    Where I used the live the Management Company didn't allow commerical vehicles to be parked in public areas. .

That is usually due to planning regulations.

We are the same. No commercial vans permitted inside our complex.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,729 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Ray Palmer wrote: »
    Anybody know if there is parking restrictions on parking artic cabs in a residential area. Somebody recently has taken to parking one near a property I own.

I think it lowers the tone of the area and is a general eye sore. It is parked illegally either way as it is on the path but aren't their other restrictions on where these are parked and something to do with the transport licence too.

Hang on.. this is near (but not outside) your property (Im guessing one you don't live in yourself by the way you've phrased it) and your main concern is it's an eyesore and lowers the tone? Who made you the moral guardian of the estate?

By the sound of it this truck isn't actually affecting you/your tenant, so I'd suggest you mind your own business myself - unless you're willing to pay for the owner's parking elsewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,364 ✭✭✭Ray Palmer

Kaiser2000 wrote: »
    Hang on.. this is near (but not outside) your property (Im guessing one you don't live in yourself by the way you've phrased it) and your main concern is it's an eyesore and lowers the tone? Who made you the moral guardian of the estate?

By the sound of it this truck isn't actually affecting you/your tenant, so I'd suggest you mind your own business myself - unless you're willing to pay for the owner's parking elsewhere.

I am certainly not the only person who thinks it is an eye sore and lowers the tone as the tenants complained . Who made you the moral guardian that says I have no reason to object?

Lower tone means lower rental income so it effects me. I don't want to live on road with a truck cab on it and neither do my tenants.

It is parked illegally anyway by being on the path and if on the road it would block traffic.

Not sure the way the 5 axel rule works. If it had a trailer it wouldn't be allowed in the area but I am not sure the same applies when it doesn't have the trailer.

The transport licence requires parking so see no reason for it to be parked there or why I would have to pay for their parking.

I am pretty sure the insurance company won't be too happy either.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,737 ✭✭✭Bepolite

This is the type of attitude that leads to estates turning into slums. There are regulations on the parking of large vehicles for a reason. People are genuinely and rightly concerned about what goes on in their neighborhood. If more people gave a crap about the area and community in which they lived there would be much less anti-social behaviour, crime and places looking like kips.

Artic cabs belong in a yard somewhere not parked on a residential street.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,129 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

An eyesore ?

As kaiser said I think you have a bit of a neck to start complaining about someone parking a vehicle near, not even outside, a property which isn't even your own home.
    Would you rather the person was on the dole and sponging off the state rather than obviously having some sort of a job ?

Trust me it could be a lot worse, they could have a knackers yard truck ?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 7,223 Mod ✭✭✭✭Michael D Not Higgins

the_syco wrote: »

I think artic cabs are well over 3 tonnes

• Registered Users Posts: 13,129 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

Bepolite wrote: »
    This is the type of attitude that leads to estates turning into slums. There are regulations on the parking of large vehicles for a reason. People are genuinely and rightly concerned about what goes on in their neighborhood. If more people gave a crap about the area and community in which they lived there would be much less anti-social behaviour, crime and places looking like kips.

Artic cabs belong in a yard somewhere not parked on a residential street.

Parking commerical vehicles turns areas into slums !!
    Never knew that. :rolleyes:

And here is me thinking that what turns areas into slums is often landlords, be they state or private, allowing their properties be rented by lowlifes who couldn't give two sh**s about the area or their neighbours.
    Then these lowlifes end up driving out the decent people who do live there.

And the same landlords more than likely don't give a cr** so long as they get paid and don't have to suffer it.

jmayo wrote: »

And here is me thinking that what turns areas into slums is often landlords, be they state or private, allowing their properties be rented by lowlifes who couldn't give two sh**s about the area or their neighbours.

And the same landlords more than likely don't give a cr** so long as they get paid and don't have to suffer it.

LOL so you're attacking the Landlord that does give a crap. Well done. /slow clap.

If you're parking an artic cab on the path you're perhaps not a low life, but you're probably not a great neighbour either. It's pretty obvious you don't give a crap about your neighbours.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,180 ✭✭✭hfallada

I know of estates in Dublin that houses were sold for over €800,000 in 2013 and plenty of the residents have vans as they own their own construction companies or are landlords. A few vans don't mean an area is turning into something from a ghetto. People how are generally concerned with commercial vehicles in their area should find themselves more important issues to deal with.

How can your opinion of the tone of an area be of greater importance, than the source of someone's income?

jmayo wrote: »

You know you are right about some landlords. This being an example where a LL has not corrected his tenants behaviour. These tenants don't care about parking laws or the complaints of the neighbours. So as LL I want to make sure the area is not brought down.

Whether you think it lowers the tone of the area or not there are enough people here telling you they feel it does. That is enough to prove it does effect perception and that is all you need to know. It doesn't bother you but bothers enough to reduce house prices.

LOL so you're attacking the Landlord that does give a crap. Well done. /slow clap.

If you're parking an artic cab on the path you're perhaps not a low life, but you're probably not a great neighbour either. It's pretty obvious you don't give a crap about your neighbours.

How on earth does an artic cab affect anyone else if it's not blocking the road - and don't give me the parked on the path bit as there's MANY estates in Dublin with residents cars parked all over the place! That's some leap though suggesting the owner is a bad neighbour as a result!

This is just the usual Irish thing where some people have opinions of themselves that aren't based on anything other than their own delusions. I bet Ray wouldn't have an issue with it if it was his tenant as long as he gets his rent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,156 ✭✭✭Iwannahurl

It is parked illegally either way as it is on the path but aren't their other restrictions on where these are parked and something to do with the transport licence too.

Are residents in the area parking on the footpaths also? In my experience this is absolutely 'normal' in this country, regardless of the fact that it is totally illegal (as per the comment below).
    How on earth does an artic cab affect anyone else if it's not blocking the road - and don't give me the parked on the path bit

The reason I mention this is that illegal parking on the footpath is the most obvious place to start. However, it may not be workable to target only one footpath parker, ie the artic driver.

If your street is in the charge of the local authority then it is a public road and it is not illegal to park there. It is possible to have bye-laws prohibiting such parking, but presumably you will need a good reason (eg public safety) to have such regulations enacted.

Do you know what company owns the artic? That may also be an approach worth taking.

Out of curiosity.. if I decided in the morning that I didn't like the look of that SUV that parks next to me occasionally, do I get the right to complain about that too? After all, it's a city.. no-one needs a 4x4 and it's ugly! :rolleyes:

You know you are right about some landlords. This being an example where a LL has not corrected his tenants behaviour. These tenants don't care about parking laws or the complaints of the neighbours. So as LL I want to make sure the area is not brought down.

Whether you think it lowers the tone of the area or not there are enough people here telling you they feel it does. That is enough to prove it does effect perception and that is all you need to know. It doesn't bother you but bothers enough to reduce house prices.

It has yet to be established whether the owner of the truck IS breaking any parking laws. It's also yet to be established whether the owner is a tenant or a houseowner (not that this should make any difference, though your comment about "correcting" their behaviour is another example of the attitude I mentioned above)

You're not worried about the tone of the area at all.. you're concerned about the (in my opinion imaginary) effect it might have on your property value.

I still think you should mind your own business myself

It has yet to be established whether the owner of the truck IS breaking any parking laws.

It's parked on the footpath, according to the OP. Rules of the Road page 116, from memory. Original statute here: http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/1997/en/si/0182.html#zzsi182y1997a36

Iwannahurl wrote: »
    It's parked on the footpath, according to the OP. Rules of the Road page 116, from memory. Original statute here: http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/1997/en/si/0182.html#zzsi182y1997a36

However as you pointed out yourself, parking on the footpath - or anywhere where there's enough room - is the norm in many estates. I've yet to see any car/van lifted for it as l0ong as they're not blocking an entrance or something.

I just find it annoying that the OP is hiding behind nonsense about "lowering the tone" when he's really concerned about his bottom line and has no evidence to show that it's been (or will be) affected by this truck/cab at all. Show me proof that having a commercial vehicle parked in an estate turns the estate into a ghetto and I'll happily concede.

Personally I just think it offends his personal sense of what's "proper" for the estate and he's using these other factors as excuses to justify it.

It has yet to be established whether the owner of the truck IS breaking any parking laws.

He's on that path so he's definitely parked illegally. He's probably doing that as parking fully on the road would cause an obstruction, fair enough that last part is assumption.
    It's also yet to be established whether the owner is a tenant or a houseowner (not that this should make any difference, though your comment about "correcting" their behaviour is another example of the attitude I mentioned above)

Well I beg to differ. A polite word with someone that is causing an issue is not out of order. It's possible they don't realise the issue they are creating. If you're annoying the neighbours then it's likely you're the one being unreasonable. Granted there are times when you live next door to a prick but most of the time people fail to consider what they are doing. This goes for music, cars in the front yard being 'worked on', large commercial vehicles and parking on the path.
    You're not worried about the tone of the area at all.. you're concerned about the (in my opinion imaginary) effect it might have on your property value.

The two are inexorably linked. A street with easy access and a bit of parking is going to attract a higher rent and therefore (generally speaking) a better tenant.

Perfectly reasonable opinion in relation to minding your own business when it doesn't effect you directly, but to be fair a truck on the path does directly impact.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,738 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Paulw wrote: »
    That is usually due to planning regulations.

We are the same. No commercial vans permitted inside our complex.

It must be hell of a tough to get a plumber, electrician etc who's willing to do any work there. Pity you if something breaks down.

• Advertisement

However as you pointed out yourself, parking on the footpath - or anywhere where there's enough room - is the norm in many estates. I've yet to see any car/van lifted for it as l0ong as they're not blocking an entrance or something.

That's the sticky wicket the OP is on perhaps. Parking on footpaths, despite its illegality and the adverse effects on pedestrians etc, is routinely ignored by law enforcers.

If there are other illegal parkers in the OP's neighborhood, then the answer in my opinion is to tackle the lot of them, starting with the footpath abusers.

It has yet to be established whether the owner of the truck IS breaking any parking laws. It's also yet to be established whether the owner is a tenant or a houseowner (not that this should make any difference, though your comment about "correcting" their behaviour is another example of the attitude I mentioned above)

Maybe you should read the thread before commenting. They are parked illegally by being on the path. They are tenants of another LL.

If a tenant is causing antisocial behaviour like parking illegally on the path the LL is obliged to address it. So should be correcting their behaviour. No different from them having house parties. I must admit this is an amazing show of my terrible attitude:rolleyes:

Given people here say they wouldn't be happy with a artic cab on their what makes this an imaginary problem relating to how people buying would look at a property with one on the road nearby? Tone effects value therefore a direct impact on my investment. So what is wrong with wanting to protect that along with keeping my tenants and residents in the area happy? I must be really terrible person.

It is my business literally.

He's on that path so he's definitely parked illegally. He's probably doing that as parking fully on the road would cause an obstruction, fair enough that last part is assumption.

As above, I hope any other residents with cars parked "illegally" will get a similar talking to? Perhaps it might be better to lobby for more parking spaces?
    Well I beg to differ. A polite word with someone that is causing an issue is not out of order. It's possible they don't realise the issue they are creating. If you're annoying the neighbours then it's likely you're the one being unreasonable. Granted there are times when you live next door to a prick but most of the time people fail to consider what they are doing. This goes for music, cars in the front yard being 'worked on', large commercial vehicles and parking on the path.

So far the only argument being presented by the OP is that it's an eyesore and lowers the tone (and yes illegally parked.. read the order of the OP). Only when challenged about that did we get these unsubstantiated comments about property values and what not.
    The two are inexorably linked. A street with easy access and a bit of parking is going to attract a higher rent and therefore (generally speaking) a better tenant.

Perfectly reasonable opinion in relation to minding your own business when it doesn't effect you directly, but to be fair a truck on the path does directly impact.

But it's NOT affecting the OP or his tenant.. he says himself the truck is parked near his property, not outside or blocking it.

Maybe you should read the thread before commenting. They are parked illegally by being on the path. They are tenants of another LL.

If a tenant is causing antisocial behaviour like parking illegally on the path the LL is obliged to address it. So should be correcting their behaviour. No different from them having house parties. I must admit this is an amazing show of my terrible attitude:rolleyes:

Given people here say they wouldn't be happy with a artic cab on their what makes this an imaginary problem relating to how people buying would look at a property with one on the road nearby? Tone effects value therefore a direct impact on my investment. So what is wrong with wanting to protect that along with keeping my tenants and residents in the area happy? I must be really terrible person.

It is my business literally.

Oh I read the thread and you started by complaining about how you see this as an eyesore and lowering the tone. The illegally parked bit was secondary - but for arguments sake, ARE there other vehicles parked on footpaths too?

Comparing parking on a footpath (and only as an attempt to add more legitimacy to your main complaint of it being "unsightly") to actively disturbing people's peace with parties or kids causing problems etc is again a bit of a stretch.. as I said above, maybe you should lobby whoever manages the estate for more parking facilities? How close IS this truck by the way?

I've lived in estates with vans, SUVs, and yes even artic cabs in the past that no-one had an issue with (and these were "better" estates too to put it in similar terms for you). I've also been in estates with cars parked everywhere where people just get on with it and come to informal agreements about who parks where, again without an issue.

Personally I just think you have a problem with it because it doesn't fit with your idea of how it "should" be

Personally I just think it offends his personal sense of what's "proper" for the estate and he's using these other factors as excuses to justify it.

Well instead of making up your opinion how about asking me or reading what was said.

I have clearly stated I think it is an eye sore, it lowers the tone and therefore effects price.

Now you can claim I am snob about it, fine but it has real world consequences. I am not alone in this view. SO if it is a shared view what is wrong with that?

You are also claiming I am only doing it because I perceive a value loss. Which is what I said. So what is wrong with that? Would you be happy if your house was devalued by a neighbour?

It shouldn't be there in my opinion and residents agree. I am not some loon on my own I doubt I am in the minority either. Just because it doesn't bother you doesn't mean it won't bother others.

Well instead of making up your opinion how about asking me or reading what was said.

I have clearly stated I think it is an eye sore, it lowers the tone and therefore effects price.

Now you can claim I am snob about it, fine but it has real world consequences. I am not alone in this view. SO if it is a shared view what is wrong with that?

You are also claiming I am only doing it because I perceive a value loss. Which is what I said. So what is wrong with that? Would you be happy if your house was devalued by a neighbour?

It shouldn't be there in my opinion and residents agree. I am not some loon on my own I doubt I am in the minority either. Just because it doesn't bother you doesn't mean it won't bother others.

You have yet to show me any evidence that this perception of the truck lowering the tone has ANYTHING to do with the actual value you'd get for your property.

If an estate has a load of (financed) SUV's in it, does that make it worth more?

Give me some sort of proof that your "perception" is grounded in reality and I'll happily concede the point. I'd say however people are far more concerned with things like transport links, schools, shops, house size/suitability etc than what cars are parked around the place

Oh I read the thread and you started by complaining about how you see this as an eyesore and lowering the tone. The illegally parked bit was secondary -

Sorry I must remember to put every topic in order of priority so I don't diminish my points :rolleyes:

Unless you actual know something about the law on this matter you aren't adding anything. I get it you think I am a snob and should just leave it alone.

I won't be doing that and I didn't come for an argument about the rights or wrongs of parking. So I am not arguing about my views on it any more you are just a distraction to the information I am looking for.

I'll probably just contact the insurance company. Quickest easiest solution

• Registered Users Posts: 3,430 ✭✭✭RustyNut

Is it the only vehicle parking on the foot path?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,279 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Ok guys- calm down.
    This is an Articulated Lorry- not a builder/sparky/plumber (whatever).

I genuinely don't think anything further is going to be achieved by allowing this thread continue- as numerous posters seem to be incapable of debating with one another without things descending into a free-for-all squabble.

Accordingly- thread closed.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement