Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Parking Rights outide your house

Options
  • 07-11-2004 10:16am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭

Just wondering do you have any rights to what can/cannot park outside of a private house in a housing estate. We currently have a large van that is constantly parked there, belonging to, we think, one of the neighbours friends. Is there anything that cam be done about it?

fo

Has anyone else had a similar problem?
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

If its legally parked on the public road there is nothing you can do about it.
    If you have a genuine reason for not wanting it there you could always ask the driver politely not to park there in future.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭kida

Thanks Muppet - also added its in an estate - Does that make any difference?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

We had a truck that used to park outside our house (also estate). Belonged to a neighbor and my dad asked him not to park there so he tended not to after that. If it blocks you in then you might be able to have it moved or clamped likewise i think legally any vehicle that is on a kerb is also illegal even though it takes up less road :D

• Registered Users Posts: 9,002 ✭✭✭mad m

You should have clear access in and out of your house 24/7.If your path is dipped by council or has been since you have your house no one has a right to park where you cant get your car out,even if the other car has gone past your piers.If you havent got your path dipped then you have no rights im afraid.You will have to ask nicely to move it.If the Van is just parked outside on road past your entrance then there is nothing you can do either.As long as he is taxed he is entitled to park there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 568 ✭✭✭newgrange

I had a large untaxed van that had more or less been abandoned outside my house - though occasionally I would see the unsavoury character who owned it arrive in the street and remove things from it.

I rang the guards saying I thought it was abandoned. Two young guys came down and looked around it, and told me they couldn't really do anything, but were the 'vehickel' to lose its number plates it would be removed in 24 hours.

Miraculously it did and it was.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,002 ✭✭✭mad m

newgrange wrote:
    I had a large untaxed van that had more or less been abandoned outside my house - though occasionally I would see the unsavoury character who owned it arrive in the street and remove things from it.

I rang the guards saying I thought it was abandoned. Two young guys came down and looked around it, and told me they couldn't really do anything, but were the 'vehickel' to lose its number plates it would be removed in 24 hours.

:D nice one....

• Registered Users Posts: 7,482 ✭✭✭RE*AC*TOR

newgrange wrote:

Why aren't all gardaí like this?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,390 ✭✭✭ando

newgrange wrote:

how on earth can a vehical lose its number plates :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,309 ✭✭✭OfflerCrocGod

RE*AC*TOR wrote:
    I don't see where he said it was the guards who removed them ;)

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,389 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lenny

haha, good one about the number plates

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,225 ✭✭✭JackKelly

ye.nice one.lol.

I'd try to resolve the problem by talking to the person first. A friend of mine had an old wrecked car in his garden and instead of coming to his house and asking what the story was, they (unknown neighbour) snitched to the council, and my friends family had to pay €500 euro to get it removed. They werent happy. Still dont know who it was. Wouldnt be very popular if they did.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

RE*AC*TOR wrote:
    Normal folk like ourselves would appreciate this tip from the Gardai.. How many here on boards though would say this is not appropriate behaviour for a Garda and then rant about how they are all corrupt..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 345 ✭✭tck

you'd be surprised how many estates have problems like this..

huge arguments and quarrels because of it.. up near my folks house (which is a nice suburb) , one woman was convicted and charged because she went out in the middle of the night and slashed the tyres of a neighbours car.

A bit extreme, but none the less.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,032 ✭✭✭✭tk123

My dad took plates off cars on our road a few times to get them towed away!! lol! Anyhoos we used to have this prob all the time - people would park right across the gate and i wouldn't be able to get my motorbike out. Our stop-gap solution was to put the wheelie bin out on the path then we got a driveway + dip in the path. If somebody parks across the drive you can get them towed but that hasn't happened yet. 3 other people on my road have gotten driveways put in to cos the parking is so crap....

• Registered Users Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

TimAy wrote:
    ye.nice one.lol.

I'd try to resolve the problem by talking to the person first. A friend of mine had an old wrecked car in his garden and instead of coming to his house and asking what the story was, they (unknown neighbour) snitched to the council, and my friends family had to pay €500 euro to get it removed. They werent happy. Still dont know who it was. Wouldnt be very popular if they did.

They should have put it on the road and taken the plates off. Then contacted the councils litter warden and they would arrange for it to be take away free of charge by a scrap dealer. I assume the scrap value of the car covers the cost of its removal.

• Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭ur mentor

Is the Estate in the ownership of a management company? If it is they may be able to help you. Some estates make rules about parking large vans trucks etc. Also if its private property then the owners ahve some legal rights to enjoyment of their property.
    The use of commercially taxed vehicles outside of 'normal' business hours can be a problem for the owners if the Guards get technical also. So if van is coming and going all hours then it is or could be if commercially taxed somewhat illegal.
    often its best to try to chat withthe driver/owner.

ATB

• Registered Users Posts: 78,343 ✭✭✭✭Victor

If it is a public road, anyone can park there. You have no right to the road other to use it like anyone else.

A person may not:
    (a) Obstruct an entrance with a vehicle.
    (b) Park a vehicle on the footpath or verge.
    (c) Cause a nuisance or obstruction that would impinge on road safety
    (d) Park a vehicle over a certain weight in an area designated to restrict the parking of vehicles over a certain weight (Much of Dublin City restricts the parking (not stoping or loading / unloading) of vehicles over 3t)
    (e) Park on single / double yellow lines, cycle or bus lane or in a clearway during operational hours.
    (f) Park outside designated parkign space where such are provided.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭kida

Thanks for all the replies

its not an old van so removing the plates is not an option :( (good idea though)

The 2 comments that purtain to our situation are

"The use of commercially taxed vehicles outside of 'normal' business hours can be a problem for the owners if the Guards get technical also"

Does this apply to all estates or just ones still under the management company?

"Cause a nuisance or obstruction that would impinge on road safety"

We (or our neighbours) cannot safely drive out of our driveway. We are unable to see past the van as it restrcting our view of approaching traffic, so it might be worth calling the Gardai to clarify this.

We are probably going to approach him about it but were wondering where legally we stood to try a few "scare" tactics on him.

Advertisement