Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sochi Olympics 2014

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,095 ✭✭✭Lirange

cena wrote: »
    With the hockey league over there surely they have good enough players to qualify. It is a petty really

They have a league sure but it's not at the same level as elsewhere in Europe let alone the NHL.

carnie wrote: »
    The Russkis are on a mad one after the game against the Yanks

http://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/winter-olympics/9733708/Ice-hockey-controversy-reignites-cold-war

I do find it strange that an american ref was used for it.. Is this common practice with the IIHF?

Yes. Canadian officials reffed the Olympic Gold Medal match in Vancouver. I think they should avoid this though just to avoid finger pointing, baseless or not. I don't believe the American official was the one that overruled the goal. The same call likely would have been made regardless of the ref per IIHF rules. But Putin is right the whistle should have blown long before then as it seems the net was already off at the prior stoppage.

Mildly surprised that Latvia beat Switzerland but one poster here will be happy!

• Registered Users Posts: 674 ✭✭✭carnie

Britain are a mid div 1 team at best. I think they were in for a bronze medal a few years ago in the worlds but they fell on their arse.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,335 ✭✭✭smackbunnybaby

First team into semi - Sweden.

Slovenia 0 Sweden 5

The big one, Russia and Finalnd is at 12.30 GMT.

Later on we have Latvia/Canada and US/Czech Rep.

Russians are out!

I'm not suprised tbh, they never jelled in my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,969 ✭✭✭cena

First team into semi - Sweden.

Slovenia 0 Sweden 5

The big one, Russia and Finalnd is at 12.30 GMT.

Later on we have Latvia/Canada and US/Czech Rep.

Which of the last two games is the one to watch

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,317 ✭✭✭Absoluvely

Russians are out!

I'm not suprised tbh, they never jelled in my opinion.

Absolutely! Good match though.

It looks like the semi finals will be a Scandinavian derby (FIN vs SWE) and a North American derby (CAN vs USA).

Canada vs Latvia and USA vs Czech Republic both starting at 17:00 (Irish time).

Which of the last two games is the one to watch

Personally, I'd say the US and Czech Rep match is the more competitive game.

Latvia will really be up against it against Canada. But you may want to watch all the Canadian superstars in action!

BBC have just turned off the u.s game.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 6,331 Mod ✭✭✭✭PerrinV2

BBC have just turned off the u.s game.
    It'll probably be on the red button if you have that,you can usually select what event you wanna watch from there

PerrinV2 wrote: »
    It'll probably be on the red button if you have that,you can usually select what event you wanna watch from there

Ice skating and bobsleigh is on the red button

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,146 ✭✭✭aaronm13

Ice skating and bobsleigh is on the red button

Their coverage of hockey is a joke. Figure skating in two channels. The US game just back now on the red button

aaronm13 wrote: »
    Their coverage of hockey is a joke. Figure skating in two channels. The US game just back now on the red button

Total joke. Not even live now. I really hope they have the final on live.
    Last time round there coverage was top notch

Why are you watching the USA game?
    The Canada match is 1 - 1 with 7 mins left in the final third!
    Latvia are doing a great job holding out :pac:

PM me for a link to a lovely low-resolution stream.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭stereomatic

BBC coverage is pants where ice hockey coverage has been continuously relegated the ice hockey cutting it off to show curling on 2 channels and not showing the quarter finals USA v Czech Rep and Canada v Latvia what a disaster. I don't know if they showed the earlier quarter finals Finland v Russia and Sweden v Slovenia but I wouldn't be surprised if they didn't.
    Who cares about eejits prancing around on ice and what has also angered me is BBC RB2 isn't coming in.

BBC coverage is pants where ice hockey coverage has been continuously relegated the ice hockey cutting it off to show curling on 2 channels and not showing the quarter finals USA v Czech Rep and Canada v Latvia what a disaster. I don't know if they showed the earlier quarter finals Finland v Russia and Sweden v Slovenia but I wouldn't be surprised if they didn't.
    Who cares about eejits prancing around on ice and what has also angered me is BBC RB2 isn't coming in.

Both games where shown in full

Both games where shown in full

Most Irish people don't have the red button thingy. You need to pick up the satellite signal to get those channels, don't you?

Absoluvely wrote: »
    Most Irish people don't have the red button thingy. You need to pick up the satellite signal to get those channels, don't you?

I have it through sky. I don't have an answer to your question sorry.

But I found this.http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/BBC_Red_Button

I wasn't at home to watch the earlier games and have satellite (freesat) with red button 1 working and poor or no signal for red button 2. The reason why I commented on the earlier games is that I remember some of the games earlier in the tournament being cut off during the game to be replaced with tripe. I don't have Sky
    The eejits prancing I was referring to figure skating a pointless "sport"

I wasn't at home to watch the earlier games and have satellite (freesat) with red button 1 working and poor or no signal for red button 2. The reason why I commented on the earlier games is that I remember some of the games earlier in the tournament being cut off during the game to be replaced with tripe. I don't have Sky
    The eejits prancing I was referring to figure skating a pointless "sport"

I like the figure skating. Not so much the guys but them women can dance beautiful on ice. The curling is interesting.

But at the expense of hockey and on 2 channels BBC 2 and BBC RB1

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 210 ✭✭mickydcork

Yeah, I think the BBC coverage of the Ice Hockey has been brutal.

Even the highlights yesterday evening showed literally 30 seconds of the biggest story of the olympics so far (Finland beating the hosts) and yet they had time to do a 10 minute interview about GB curling!

Not to mention no highlights of Latvia V Canada, which was also a huge game.

Also the BBC I player started the tournament well, as they had a good few of the game highlights to view. But for the last few days - nothing!

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Some comeback by Canada in the women's final!

Stheno wrote: »

Ya it was some come back

• Registered Users Posts: 419 ✭✭scottmcb04

Stheno wrote: »

they done the same thing in the group stages, were 2-0 down after 2 periods and won the game, yanks must be kicking themselves! especially that empty netter that hit the post(i think was half watching it, half working, kept changing tabs)

big game tomorrow morning between the states and canada, i think the canadians need to improve to beat them...

scottmcb04 wrote: »
    they done the same thing in the group stages, were 2-0 down after 2 periods and won the game, yanks must be kicking themselves! especially that empty netter that hit the post(i think was half watching it, half working, kept changing tabs)

big game tomorrow morning between the states and canada, i think the canadians need to improve to beat them...

That game isn't till the evening right.

• Registered Users Posts: 419 ✭✭scottmcb04

That game isn't till the evening right.

sorry to confuse ya, wasnt thinking right, in vancouver...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,510 ✭✭✭Hazys

Some freedom hatin' commie in my office puts a meeting on that I can't miss from 1-2 today when i played to take a long late lunch :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭GvidoR

I hope Finland at least gets Bronze, but I don't think that's gonna happen though.

I think there's a very good chance for Finland to get Bronze they only lost to Canada 2-1 and I think there's a realistic chance that Sweden could get Gold although it would be a major shock but remember it was almost expected that Russia would win but all they did was whimper and Slovenia did beat Slovakia so can another shock be on the cards

• Advertisement

Go Team Canada

Advertisement