Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Question re North America arctic blast creeping east

Options
  • 07-01-2014 8:38am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭

From the Beeb - http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-25632586

What are the probabilities the event could continue east and begin to impact us?

Is it time to dust of the snow tyres and stick them on the bike?

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,720 ✭✭✭Sir Arthur Daley

Not a hope, too mild.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭Nabber

Central USA, Eastern USA and Canada don't have the same maritime influence that Ireland has. We wouldn't get anything as bad as they get. Our warm sea shelters us

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

Nabber wrote: »
    Central USA, Eastern USA and Canada don't have the same maritime influence that Ireland has. We wouldn't get anything as bad as they get. Our warm sea shelters us

I didn't think we'd experience anything like what they're getting hit with, I was more wondering about

the possibility of it moving far enough east to influence our weather; and,

the chance that it would cause what would be for us an extreme cold weather event - say a prolonged (7+ days) period of temperatures below freezing?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭Lucreto

This time of year it should not take too long for the continent to cool down. There are plenty of instances where sudden changes can happen.

It was last year in Russia it was 20C one day and snowing the next.

It would help if the polar vortex moves away from the US.

This year will be known as the year that America stole Winter. :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Harps

Jawgap wrote: »
    I didn't think we'd experience anything like what they're getting hit with, I was more wondering about

the possibility of it moving far enough east to influence our weather; and,

the chance that it would cause what would be for us an extreme cold weather event - say a prolonged (7+ days) period of temperatures below freezing?

Cold air coming from North America causes storms for us, not cold spells. The cold dry air clashes with warm moist air over the Atlantic which creates a strong jet stream which then causes deep low pressure systems/storms.

Generally the only way we can get prolonged cold weather is from the north and east

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Jawgap wrote: »
    From the Beeb - http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-25632586

What are the probabilities the event could continue east and begin to impact us?

Is it time to dust of the snow tyres and stick them on the bike?

Thanks

3000 miles of "warm" Ocean mean we never could get what the North Americans are suffering. The Atlantic is the worlds biggest hot water bottle.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,055 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

From record low temps to very springlike weather in a matter of days.

Rnamavn962.png

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Pipes and pavements is the next challenge!

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 6,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭Irish Steve

The American weather can change overnight.

In Colorado a few years ago, on the Saturday at 1400 when we collected a friend from the airport at Denver, the temperature was in the mid 70's (F), and had been for most of the previous week.

We went back to our friend's house, on the foothills of the Rockies, and later that day, headed for horizontal.

We woke on the Sunday to see 18" of snow on the deck outside, and the outdoor temperature was -20(F), yes, MINUS 20, which meant over 70F change in less than 12 hours. There had been no wind worth talking about, we knew that from the column of snow 18" tall that was still sitting on the 4" wide 45 degree handrail of the steps up from the garage level to the deck.

It stayed below freezing day and night for the next week. Made for fun driving in the powdered snow that hung around for the entire period.

Shore, if it was easy, everybody would be doin it.😁

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

mike65 wrote: »
    The Atlantic is the worlds biggest hot water bottle.

The Pacific laughs at this post.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭J6P

The after effects of such a cold air mass leaving the US may affect us this weekend according to GFS.. We just need it to creep a couple of hundred miles further east.

Rtavn782.png

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭patneve2

J6P wrote: »
    The after effects of such a cold air mass leaving the US may affect us this weekend according to GFS.. We just need it to creep a couple of hundred miles further east.

Rtavn782.png

That happened various times during December. By the time the cold that exits Canada gets here, you will get sleet and hail showers at best with temps of about 5 at the surface. Proper cold comes from the N, NE and E (and sometimes from the NW). Over the Atlantic - no game. Anti-zonality - in game.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

SdzTj.jpg

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,426 ✭✭✭ZX7R

In the end of february last year,a big pool of cold air came of north america canada -8 upper's over much of the atlantic we had snow shower over much of the country even into the east i remember posting on a weather tread about it

• Registered Users Posts: 12,962 ✭✭✭✭bnt

Isn't the real driver of the weather in the USA at the moment the "polar vortex" in the upper atmosphere? You can see what I mean here, the view of the 10hPa pressure altitude over the North Pole. Last week it looked fairly circular, now it looks more like a racetrack, with the sharpest corner over the USA. :cool:

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

• Registered Users Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭goat2

watching sky news there,
    they are saying that it is likely that this freezing vortex that has the united states going through hell, that it is likely that they in britain will get,
    if that is the case, we are on the path and are also going to get it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭mumo3

goat2 wrote: »
    watching sky news there,
    they are saying that it is likely that this freezing vortex that has the united states going through hell, that it is likely that they in britain will get,
    if that is the case, we are on the path and are also going to get it

The freezing vortex part no thanks but I wouldn't mind an oul bit of snow :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭goat2

mike65 wrote: »
    3000 miles of "warm" Ocean mean we never could get what the North Americans are suffering. The Atlantic is the worlds biggest hot water bottle.

yet listening to sky news, britain is not ruling it out, that it is likely to come their way, could they be right

• Registered Users Posts: 9,652 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

Its a very short lived blast though - its already warming up over Texas and the most of the cold will be gone from elsehere within the next 48 hrs

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,088 ✭✭✭SpaceTime

goat2 wrote: »
    yet listening to sky news, britain is not ruling it out, that it is likely to come their way, could they be right

Sky News loves a good impending weather disaster though. I'd take it with a very large pinch of salt!

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 531 ✭✭✭fontdor

What are your theories? Do you think USA'S weather will come over to Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,884 ✭✭✭Tzardine

SNOW!??

You are on the wrong forum to wish against snow ;)

I would welcome it with open arms

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,480 ✭✭✭wexie

I would welcome it with open arms

The snow or the -30 temperatures?

Wouldn't mind some snow but I can do without the extreme temperatures here.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,833 ✭✭✭Vinz Mesrine

Ireland would never be able to cope with weather like that. Anything worse than -5 and the country comes to a complete standstill.

I would love it though :)

wexie wrote: »
    The snow or the -30 temperatures?

Wouldn't mind some snow but I can do without the extreme temperatures here.

all of it:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,480 ✭✭✭wexie

all of it:D

Not too sure about the extreme temperatures, wouldn't want to have to rely on being able to keep the house warmish at -30.

I'd be happy enough with lots of snow and -10 though.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

-30 would result in a staggering amount of deaths in this country. I don't know how anyone could wish for that, as much as I love a bit of snow.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Yes please
    2tHUmRH.jpg?1

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 510 ✭✭✭dopolahpec

Idiotic thread

Advertisement