Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Farewell

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,997 ✭✭✭Grimebox

Hook is increasingly becoming the reason why I switch off analysis straight after Ireland matches. Get rid of him

• Registered Users Posts: 9,441 ✭✭✭Heroditas

Michael Corcoran needs to be a television commentator. He is wasted on the radio.

He's awful - the Philip Greene of rugby.

• Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭Coburger

Hook is pretty terrible, anyway else notice that to justify his place on the show he keeps on mentioning players from generations ago, "I remember watching young bla bla back in the 40s and ..."

While they're at it they should get rid of Brent Pope, not because he's terrible but he tends not to bring all that much to the show, keep Conor O'Shea and Shaggy (but could the producer of the show ever tell him to get to the point).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,656 ✭✭✭norrie rugger

Regardless of Hook on the rugby, what he does for his radio listeners with depression (and I mean real depression here) is above and beyond

• Registered Users Posts: 23,797 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

He's a jovial enough man in person and you'd have good banter with him but he's full of a huge amount of flannel, apart from the rugby stuff where he makes a point of "not being there to be a fan, but to be an critic". So much of what he says is overblown, give me Pope and O'Shea and maybe throw in Mick Bradley or someone when he's gone.

I remember Hook talking on his radio show about a year ago, saying that when he retired he would tell no one, get to the end of a Friday show and just say 'thanks for listening, Im done and gone', but instead he's given us two and a half years of a victory lap. Spoofer.....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,906 ✭✭✭jamiedav2011

Regardless of Hook on the rugby, what he does for his radio listeners with depression (and I mean real depression here) is above and beyond

Absolutely, some of his radio is excellent, which, for me anyway, is more the shame that his print and T.V. work is so obviously trolling and mis-informed.

The man is obviously intelligent, but through laziness or choice he often lets himself down when talking about rugby matters for the sake of causing 'controversy'.

I'd rather be an intelligent unknown commentator than a seemingly uninformed, controversy seeking loudmouth, but that's just me, and controversy sells in media these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

Absolutely, some of his radio is excellent, which, for me anyway, is more the shame that his print and T.V. work is so obviously trolling and mis-informed.

The man is obviously intelligent, but through laziness or choice he often lets himself down when talking about rugby matters for the sake of causing 'controversy'.

I'd rather be an intelligent unknown commentator than a seemingly uninformed, controversy seeking loudmouth, but that's just me, and controversy sells in media these days.

This is it. The last line is absolutely true.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,415 ✭✭✭Swiwi.

It's a pure hunch, but I get the impression the RTE panel is "manufactured" and Hook told to take the "grumpy old man" role. Trying to make false controversy, and gets the panellists arguing with each other. Like yourself, I prefer calm and reasoned analysis to shouting over each other like it's a political debate, but that doesn't seem to sell these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,589 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

He is a chancer and has been winging it for way too long. To his credit he doesn't try to pretend to be anything other than this. Humility is an endearing characteristic. The punch and judy act with Pope was entertaining for a while but now it has just become contrived and predictable.

Saying all that perhaps we protest too much when comparing to the alternative on BBC. I like Inverdale but Jeremy Guscott is practically a talking scarf.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,445 ✭✭✭rgossip30

Swiwi. wrote: »
    Time for a poll!

Check out uplift.ie . There are 2 polls a biased one that just asks for him to be fired and no choice and a newer one giving both options .

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

rgossip30 wrote: »
    Check out uplift.ie . There are 2 polls a biased one that just asks for him to be fired and no choice and a newer one giving both options .

Only took 3 and a half years. :pac:

A poll is running on Politics Cafe . Should George Hook be fired .

A poll is running on Politics Cafe . Should George Hook be fired .

The wife was asking me about this on Saturday. I said that I reckoned he'd keep his listeners but that the advertising execs for all his time slot competitors would be onto Newstalks main sponsors to let them know about this and try and win the business.

If they lost a main sponsor and a few people refused to come on the station because of him he'd be gone. So far they've had one person walk and they've lost a primary sponsor. If it stays as is I'd say he's got a 50:50. If there is any further fallout he's gone.

My gut instinct tells me that Newstalk are in talks with him to phase him out fairly sharpish but would rather it wasn't a public spat and would rather they've got a replacement lined up. Eitherway I don't think there will be dramatics from Newstalk unless there are dramatics forced on them but I do think that Hook will be permanently off the air by Christmas.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Hooky suspended.

I don't know what I think at this stage. He apologised and was rightly panned for his comments. Shouldn't that be an end to it?

Newstalk say process is ongoing so I suppose they had to suspend him for now.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,073 ✭✭✭✭vienne86

Hooky suspended.

I don't know what I think at this stage. He apologised and was rightly panned for his comments. Shouldn't that be an end to it?

Well he's annoyed the hell out of me for years, though I sometimes enjoyed the banter with Brent Pope. However, it would be a sad way to end his broadcasting career.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

Someone was threatening not to do their show tomorrow. Maybe that was the straw that broke the camel's back.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,001 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

Hooky suspended.

I don't really see why it should be the end of it. These were remarks he'd obviously thought out and planned because they were part of his monologue at the beginning of the show. He's a dinosaur. Why should NT be obliged to give him a platform for ****e like that?

I don't really see why it should be the end of it. These were remarks he'd obviously thought out and planned because they were part of his monologue at the beginning of the show. He's a dinosaur. Why should NT be obliged to give him a platform for ****e like that?

Because he is popular for being outspoken something that is sadly dying .

• Registered Users Posts: 13,001 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

Because he is popular for being outspoken something that is sadly dying .

He could have remained popular for being outspoken if he'd limited said outspoken-ness to not partially blaming a rape victim for getting raped.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,291 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Hooky suspended.

In one respect yes.

However, I think he deserved to be put in a soundproof box where noone could hear a single word he said about 15 years ago so I'm not about to shed any tears.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,745 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

He apologised and was rightly panned for his comments. Shouldn't that be an end to it?

First time, yes. Second time, no. He clearly didn't learn his lesson on the first go around so more needs to be done to ensure he does.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Someone was threatening not to do their show tomorrow. Maybe that was the straw that broke the camel's back.

Dil wikrenasingah? (sp?)

That show is painfull to listen to. News talk should have taken it as a chance to get rid of it.

The whole thing is way out of proportion. If someone said you need to be careful to secure your house because there are scumbags around that will rob you if you leave the door open that'd be seen as sage advice. The reality is there are bad people around that will rape someone they fine in a vulnerable position. Warning people not to put themselves in vulnerable positions isn't condoning rape anymore than saying you could be robbed if you leave you door open .

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 6,773 Mod ✭✭✭✭connemara man

Dil wikrenasingah? (sp?)

That show is painfull to listen to. News talk should have taken it as a chance to get rid of it.

The whole thing is way out of proportion. If someone said you need to be careful to secure your house because there are scumbags around that will rob you if you leave the door open that'd be seen as sage advice. The reality is there are bad people around that will rape someone they fine in a vulnerable position. Warning people not to put themselves in vulnerable positions isn't condoning rape anymore than saying you could be robbed if you leave you door open .

The problem with his comments is he didn't stop there to use your analogy. If I warn you about how to protect your house like you have said and you forget or do not fully heed that advice and then subsequently robbed you are in no way responsible for the actions of the robber.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,291 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

I don't actually disagree with that logic and it's something that irritates me as well.

Context is important though and I got the impression Hook was on more of a moral tirade though. I will freely admit I have no intention of giving him the benefit of the doubt to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

The problem with his comments is he didn't stop there to use your analogy. If I warn you about how to protect your house like you have said and you forget or do not fully heed that advice and then subsequently robbed you are in no way responsible for the actions of the robber.

That argument, as has been pointed out elsewhere numerous times, also reduces a rape victim to the level of a stolen television. They aren't inanimate objects who are being happened upon by plucky opportunists. They're people who are being attacked and more people need to realise that comments like the above are hugely problematic, luckily it appears most people see this.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,176 ✭✭✭✭Buer

Dil wikrenasingah? (sp?)

It really is. It's simply not interesting in any shape or form.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 6,773 Mod ✭✭✭✭connemara man

That argument, as has been pointed out elsewhere numerous times, also reduces a rape victim to the level of a stolen television. They aren't inanimate objects who are being happened upon by plucky opportunists. They're people who are being attacked and more people need to realise that comments like the above are hugely problematic, luckily it appears most people see this.

You're dead right, and I was only using that analogy as it was previously used.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

Also worth noting that he did NOT apologise for the substance of what he said, he used the weaselly "I apologise for any offense" version. Theres a substantial difference there, in that he is avoiding retracting his actual thoughts.

So it's very easy for people to believe that he doesn't mean his apology.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,176 ✭✭✭✭Buer

I understand the analogy but there's a slight difference. Firstly, the subject of rape is highly sensitive subject concerning a violation on your person and Hook was personalising this to a specific case.

Secondly, unlike the housing analogy above, it's aimed at a certain demographic of society. Take the housing analogy and make a minor change and it puts a very different slant:
    You need to be careful to secure your house if you live in a council estate because there are scumbags around that will rob you if you leave the door open

I do think it's a bit of a witch hunt and people need to stop letting their hearts rule their head but Hook has talked a lot of rubbish in the past as well as this and is completely out of touch with a lot of society. With two major sponsors now pulling out, he was always going to get his marching orders.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

The analogies to leaving your house unlocked are just nonsense - that suggests that men find it just as easy to rape a vulnerable woman as a burglar does to rob an open house. Like, do the people making this argument really think that lowly of their fellow men?

Another reason its nonsense is that it has nothing really to do with what Hook said. He literally uttered the words "But modern day social activity means that she goes back with him. Then is surprised when somebody else comes into the room and rapes her". That's such a twisted morality to live by - that a woman shouldn't be surprised to be raped by someone's mates after she consented to sex with that someone. Are people really defending this scummery?

Victim blaming is always wrong, I think that is an absolute. But, if you find yourself agreeing that women have a personal responsibility to not dress or act a certain way to avoid rape, then just stop and think about what that means about what you're saying about male society.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement