Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Global Force Wrestling thread

Options
  • 06-01-2014 7:33am
    #1
    Registered Users Posts: 5,159 ✭✭✭


    Big news coming through this morning!
    As noted earlier, negotiations between TNA and Toby Keith, who was the main person looking to purchase the company, apparently fell through. Jeff Jarrett was expected to be a part of the promotion in a key role if the sale happened, due to his relationship with Keith. Shortly after talks between Keith and TNA fell through, Jarrett announced that he was parting ways with TNA.
    On tonight's episode of his podcast, which you can listen to at MLW.com, Konnan said that he spoke with Jarrett and that Jarrett will be making an announcement this week about a new project. He said that Jarrett told him that TNA is in really bad shape, and that he doesn't know and doesn't care if they see through the year. Konnan then pretty much stated that Jarrett would be starting a new promotion with Keith.

    In perhaps an unrelated note, Jim Ross noted on his Twitter last Tuesday that he had a "great meeting with a major sports concern... Could be big...and fun!" He wrote later in the week that he had dinner with Keith and others in New Orleans while he was in town for the Sugar Bowl.


    Read more at http://www.wrestlinginc.com/wi/news/2014/0105/568943/jeff-jarrett-to-announce-new-promotion-with-toby-keith-this-week/#ls7doQqKDxbhgW0W.99
    Very interesting if through. JR and Jarrett would be extremely good bookers and if Keith could cough up the cash a lot of really good free agents out there at the minute!


«13456712

Comments

  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,158 ✭✭✭✭hufpc8w3adnk65


    Does he have the money too get this off the ground? I don't think I ever heard off him been honest


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭waltersobchak


    Read on a "Newz" site that they want to build the promotion around AJ Styles and have been in contact with Goldberg.. Obviously take that with a pinch of salt


  • Registered Users Posts: 908 ✭✭✭Palo Alto


    I don't have any faith in what Konnan has to say to be honest.


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,158 ✭✭✭✭hufpc8w3adnk65


    Wonder will it be NWA affiliated too begin with?


  • Registered Users Posts: 2,207 ✭✭✭Hangballlouie


    MrMac84 wrote: »
    Does he have the money too get this off the ground? I don't think I ever heard off him been honest

    Those country singers earn mad money. Keith is worth $500 million so finance is no object.

    http://www.forbes.com/sites/zackomalleygreenburg/2013/06/26/toby-keith-cowboy-capitalist-countrys-500-million-man/2/

    I'm typing off a phone so you might need to copy and paste the link, sorry.


  • Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,158 ✭✭✭✭hufpc8w3adnk65


    Really? Thats mental money!


  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,089 ✭✭✭✭rovert


    Jarrett likes founding things.

    Also this is kind of odd:
    Meanwhile, Jarrett released a birthday video on his Twitter account (https://twitter.com/RealJeffJarrett/) for country singer John Rich, featuring messages from, among others, Hulk Hogan, Jeff Hardy, AJ Styles and Tommy Dreamer. That's an interesting mix:
    http://vimeo.com/83395363

    Jeff certainly seems to be buttering up these Country musicians.

    Karen Jarrett is very excited going by her Twitter the pasted few hours. Even posted this:

    da7e9640769711e3ab0a124f81b599cd_8.jpg


  • Registered Users Posts: 4,888 ✭✭✭Charisteas


    rovert wrote: »
    Meanwhile, Jarrett released a birthday video on his Twitter account (https://twitter.com/RealJeffJarrett/) for country singer John Rich, featuring messages from, among others, Hulk Hogan, Jeff Hardy, AJ Styles and Tommy Dreamer. That's an interesting mix:
    http://vimeo.com/83395363

    Isn't Jeff Hardy's TNA contract finished soon? But more importantly, is there a market in North America for a fourth major promotion?


  • Posts: 0 [Deleted User]


    What realistic free agents could this rumored new Jarrett company sign up?

    Maybe get Bischoff and Hogan on board :P


  • Registered Users Posts: 2,793 ✭✭✭Sirsok


    What realistic free agents could this rumored new Jarrett company sign up?

    Maybe get Bischoff and Hogan on board :P
    Well there is aj, Goldberg, Nash, Waltham, Matt Morgan, hardy, Steiner, Ted dibease, could utilise some foreign input, young bucks, American wolves, Jericho, rvd, sabu, dreamer, hero off the top of my head!


  • Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,089 ✭✭✭✭rovert


    The Jarretts spent New Years with the Helms and Hardys families.

    Karen retweeted Mickie James and Tommy Dreamer in her excitement about future plans.

    If you are serious about things you would probably hire Dreamer in a backstage role.

    Jeff has always been more with the talent than the office. He is also meant to be good craic away from Wrestling.


  • Registered Users Posts: 12,478 ✭✭✭✭gnfnrhead


    Palo Alto wrote: »
    I don't have any faith in what Konnan has to say to be honest.

    He broke the AJ/Punk news.
    Charisteas wrote: »
    Isn't Jeff Hardy's TNA contract finished soon? But more importantly, is there a market in North America for a fourth major promotion?

    About this time next year.

    ROH and TNA have taken big steps backwards in recent years. WWE is the only major promotion. TNA and ROH are mid level. Plenty of talent if they have the finances which it seems Keith has.

    AJ Styles, Chris Hero, Matt Hardy, Kevin Steen, Adam Cole, Kyle O'Reilly, Matt Morgan, Devon, Luke Gallows, Young Bucks, Mickie James, Tara etc etc. You can cover pretty much every base. The only problem would be they couldnt sign most of them to exclusive contracts.
    EdK wrote: »
    Former TNA and WWE that's all I can say

    Former both, or former TNA and current WWE?


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,469 ✭✭✭✭GTR63


    gnfnrhead wrote: »
    ROH and TNA have taken big steps backwards in recent years. WWE is the only major promotion. TNA and ROH are mid level. Plenty of talent if they have the finances which it seems Keith has.

    AJ Styles, Chris Hero, Matt Hardy, Kevin Steen, Adam Cole, Kyle O'Reilly, Matt Morgan, Devon, Luke Gallows, Young Bucks, Mickie James, Tara etc etc. You can cover pretty much every base. The only problem would be they couldnt sign most of them to exclusive contracts.
    Not to mention all the talents who are unhappy and are in a rut where they are.
    Was Adrian Street that guy in the BBC doc last year with that Bowie esque gimmick?


  • Registered Users Posts: 8,390 ✭✭✭Riddle101


    Sirsok wrote: »
    Well there is aj, Goldberg, Nash, Waltham, Matt Morgan, hardy, Steiner, Ted dibease, could utilise some foreign input, young bucks, American wolves, Jericho, rvd, sabu, dreamer, hero off the top of my head!

    Wow that's quite a sad list tbh. All has beens, and guys who are getting on in age aside from a few maybe. Some of those names wouldn't join a new promotion though *cough* Jericho *cough* RVD.

    But I just think that if you were to start a new company, you would want new stars, otherwise you're just turning it into the same promotion TNA was. Take a page out of Paul Haymen's book I think and create new stars.
    AJ Styles, Chris Hero, Matt Hardy, Kevin Steen, Adam Cole, Kyle O'Reilly, Matt Morgan, Devon, Luke Gallows, Young Bucks, Mickie James, Tara etc etc

    Again not an impressive list. Especially with names like Morgan and Devon, and Matt Hardy has always been bland. Some are alright though.

    Anyway, this new promotion everyone keeps talking about has yet to happen. When it does, it will probably takes years for them to get a tv deal. Time will only tell, but I won't be getting over excited. I really hope TNA can turn themselves around.


  • Posts: 0 [Deleted User]


    Just in regards to the rumor of JJ and Toby Keith starting a promotion together.

    Was there not rumors that TNA was up for sale? Would it not make more sense for them to try and buy TNA with TV coverage and all in place?


  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,089 ✭✭✭✭rovert


    Just in regards to the rumor of JJ and Toby Keith starting a promotion together.

    Was there not rumors that TNA was up for sale? Would it not make more sense for them to try and buy TNA with TV coverage and all in place?

    And Toby Keith was the buyer. But he only wanted full ownership.

    Toby probably has the ear of Country Music Television. CMT has aired Wrestling related programming before - Hulk Hogan's Celebrity Wrestling and Steve Austin's Redneck Island.

    Also it is easily argued TNA is a damaged brand (and a poor name :p)


  • Registered Users Posts: 9,846 ✭✭✭Moneymaker


    Believe it when I see it.


  • Registered Users Posts: 47 jd1594


    A promotion with free creative reign to Jarrett/Ross? Feels almost too good to be true. Let's see what happens. I hope for the sake of wrestling it's relatively successful.


  • Posts: 0 [Deleted User]


    From JRs blog
    Some websites are irresponsibly running with the story that just because Toby Keith and I are friends and fellow Okies who both follow the Sooners that I'm about to do business with Toby and Jeff Jarrett which isn't true. Toby and I had dinner at the Sugar Bowl, he's a wrestling fan from the old days and, a helluva entrepreneur with deep pockets. Nonetheless the reason that we were there was to support our Sooners vs. Alabama in the Sugar Bowl and not talk about pro wrestling.

    We did talk the wrestling biz some but that's not unusual for me in any conversation after a 40 year career within the genre. We also talked country music, business investments, OU football and we spent the afternoon together with ESPN's Brad Nessler who's another wrestling fan. Yes, TNA came up a time or two but that was really a non issue in our conversations.

    I am not motivated to re-engage in the wrestling business on a daily basis and it would take a mighty healthy offer to consider such. The politics and paranoia that go along with today's rasslin business isn't healthy for me to be around on a full time basis especially at this stage of my life.

    Plus, I have a specific philosophy regarding how the business should be presented that doesn't seem to be in fashion these days.


  • Registered Users Posts: 12,478 ✭✭✭✭gnfnrhead


    That seems to suggest he would be interested but only on his own terms. I dont blame him one bit. He doesnt need to work so why work for terms less than ideal?
    Riddle101 wrote: »
    Again not an impressive list. Especially with names like Morgan and Devon, and Matt Hardy has always been bland. Some are alright though.

    Hardy is getting on in ring wise, but is still a great promo guy. For a new company, he would be a great established name and would allow it to stay away from the likes of Scott Steiner and Kevin Nash. Devon likewise. An established name who is still decent enough in the ring. None of them have to be the face of the company but they can all contribute.

    I left off some former WWE guys who would most likely be available for non exclusive contracts. John Hennigan, Carlito, Chris Masters, Shane Helms, Shelton Benjamin, Melina, Maryse along with other Indy names I forgot like Michael Elgin, Drake Younger, Drew Gulak, ACH. All that is without even looking to Japan or Mexico. Two places that Jarrett has ties.

    If Keith is willing to put up the money and use his connections, it will take off. If he isnt willing, it wont. It all comes down to him first.


  • Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,824 ✭✭✭ShagNastii


    How close do you guys see the minor leagues to the WWE using ECW or WCW as a benchmark. IMO TNA are a million miles away at the moment. I always though when Angle arrived TNA would build on it's super product and become "big league" but just seemed to flounder since.

    Half ass some money feuds, lose the unique six sided ring. Dare I say last few years it's been all filler very little killer.


  • Registered Users Posts: 12,478 ✭✭✭✭gnfnrhead


    ShagNastii wrote: »
    How close do you guys see the minor leagues to the WWE using ECW or WCW as a benchmark. IMO TNA are a million miles away at the moment. I always though when Angle arrived TNA would build on it's super product and become "big league" but just seemed to flounder since.

    Half ass some money feuds, lose the unique six sided ring. Dare I say last few years it's been all filler very little killer.

    Lets say WWE is 100, while 0 is a local backyard fed. TNA would be somewhere around 70. Close enough to be on their radar, but not close enough to trouble them. ROH somewhere around the 50 mark, with everyone else 40 and below. This is just for the US. World wide and NJPW goes into second place for me.


  • Registered Users Posts: 5,458 ✭✭✭shinzon


    Television rights need to be negotiated before any promotion could be started without them money for the Talent, Production, Wages etc etc would run out very quick.

    So any talk of a promotion starting up without that in place first is just that rumours and speculation. TNA would more then likely be the only viable option as rights are already secured. Starting from scratch would be prohibitively expensive and your going to need big money if your going down signing named talent to get noticed tbh.

    Shin


  • Registered Users Posts: 12,478 ✭✭✭✭gnfnrhead


    shinzon wrote: »
    Television rights need to be negotiated before any promotion could be started without them money for the Talent, Production, Wages etc etc would run out very quick.

    So any talk of a promotion starting up without that in place first is just that rumours and speculation. TNA would more then likely be the only viable option as rights are already secured. Starting from scratch would be prohibitively expensive and your going to need big money if your going down signing named talent to get noticed tbh.

    Shin

    PWG are the fourth biggest promotion in the US. They run ~10 shows a year. TV is not the only way. The vast majority of companies manage just fine without TV deals. ROH only got a TV deal a few years ago. TNA ran for two years before they got a TV deal.


  • Registered Users Posts: 2,793 ✭✭✭Sirsok


    Forgot one guy Colt Cabana in my previous list!

    I would love the briscoes to get signed by a major promotion, something about them has always intrigued me, as teddy hart and jack evans have! I know they are all old indy guys, but dammit they never got their chance to shine on the main stage! ( Teddy has numorous chances I know.)

    But if you were building a promotion you would want the best tag teams available, the best high flyers, the best hardcore guys, the best technical guys, import the best foreign talent. Make the product different at every stage yet still coherent. Bring in the spot monkeys ( Sick Nick Mondo recently returned hasn't he?) God if only I had the financial backing! Back to extreme Warfare revenge for me so


  • Registered Users Posts: 13,035 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin


    GTR63 wrote: »
    Not to mention all the talents who are unhappy and are in a rut where they are.
    Was Adrian Street that guy in the BBC doc last year with that Bowie esque gimmick?

    He is 73 years old. Even by wrestlers hanging on for dear life standards, that would be pushing it :)


  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,089 ✭✭✭✭rovert


    Things of note that Meltzer said is that:

    - He has spoken to Jeff Jarrett but Jeff can't say anything until certain things fall into place.

    - AJ Styles is likely waiting things out to see where this project is going before signing back with TNA.

    - There's a recognition by everyone TNA is going anywhere growth wise. So the impetus to jump to an upstart promotion would be there with some talent.

    - TNA's deal with SPIKE ends in September. Opening possibility of either Jarrett group or WWE Smackdown taking that slot. Which would likely be the dead knell for TNA.


  • Registered Users Posts: 5,458 ✭✭✭shinzon


    hope it does take off but cant help thinking weve been here before with TNA, if Dixie Carters families money cant keep TNA afloat then what hope does anyone else have tbh.

    Shin


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,469 ✭✭✭✭GTR63


    shinzon wrote: »
    hope it does take off but cant help thinking weve been here before with TNA, if Dixie Carters families money cant keep TNA afloat then what hope does anyone else have tbh.

    Shin

    The TV deal is keeping Tna afloat if they lose that they are proper f**ked.


  • Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,089 ✭✭✭✭rovert


    @RealJeffJarrett: Headed to a meeting this morning with @karenjarrett .And, folks I can assure you guys when the time is right to announce our plans, we will!

    Things are happening.


Advertisement