Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

MMA training holiday in Thailand

Options
  • 02-01-2014 8:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4

i know this was asked recently on the martial arts forum in relation to Thai boxing but I have a few further questionsvto ask and more specifically looking for an mma camp rather than just Thai boxing

The main two seem to be tiger and Phuket top team, I've heard mixed reviews on tiger (very commercial, full of egos, roidy Aussies,trainers don't care about your progress) but it looks impressive. Heard good things about top team.
    1. Best camp for overall for training/ value?

2. Live in or live out? I'm thinking live in would really immerse you in the training culture/mindset but maybe it's better to get out to relax. If so any recommended places to stay?

3. Whats the best time of year to go?

4. Ideal length of time to go for? I'm thinking a month is the most I could manage off work with no income but could be stretched a little.

5. How often could one train every day? Currently train x4 a week, gym x 4 a week. Twice a day initially increasing to 3 a day after week one? Too ambitious?

6. Things to do outside of training?

Have loads more questions but any help with these few would be a start

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭weemcd

Cannot recommend you anywhere yet, but Be Like Nutella mentioned a little about his training at Tiger. It is mentioned on this thread from post #13:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057101744

Seems largely positive, I'm sure there will be a few more people with practical advice. I'm subscribing to this thread for my own benefit as it's something I'll be looking at in future.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭Be like Nutella

i know this was asked recently on the martial arts forum in relation to Thai boxing but I have a few further questionsvto ask and more specifically looking for an mma camp rather than just Thai boxing

The main two seem to be tiger and Phuket top team, I've heard mixed reviews on tiger (very commercial, full of egos, roidy Aussies,trainers don't care about your progress) but it looks impressive. Heard good things about top team.

2. Live in or live out? I'm thinking live in would really immerse you in the training culture/mindset but maybe it's better to get out to relax. If so any recommended places to stay?

4. Ideal length of time to go for? I'm thinking a month is the most I could manage off work with no income but could be stretched a little.

5. How often could one train every day? Currently train x4 a week, gym x 4 a week. Twice a day initially increasing to 3 a day after week one? Too ambitious?

I loved Tiger when I was there, lived there for a month trained average 6 days per week morning and late afternoon, facilities won't be beat I reckon and tons of trainers, everybody was cool... was only one cuntychop training there who annoyed me. Corey in the front office was such a cool motherfuka he basically organized everything in the whole place wonder if he's still there. Ray Elbe is/was/is the MMA guy there.. check his record do some research. He's a good BJJ instructor. They really look after beginners and you'll never be pushed too hard but if they see you want to push yourself hard like I tried, then you'll be pushed hard... as you should be. I quickly found I had no clue about what hard training was until I was there 3 days but saying that within a week I acclimatized to the routine and was givin it socks morning and evening. I lost 8 kilos in pure fat out there for a month.. Their accommodation was literally perfect and cheap, always clean, things worked and your laundry was picked up when ya want and even bottles water delivered every day which you'll be drinking about 9 of in a day. I took a deal where I got me motorbike, chalet 6m from the training mat and all you can eat MT and BJJ classes. I don't want to say the price coz I don't know how much it is now but basically the price was so good when you break it out for hours and so forth and compare to training here etc that I laughed and immediately said yes. It was probably the best value I've ever gotten for anything I ever bought in me life except me guitar. Anyway yeah I hear people saying too commercial and you'll get some cocks there etc.. well I didn't get that although I can see it being possible seeing as fighters are literally coming from all corners of the world to train at Tiger.. but that must be for a reason right? MT is Thailands GAA... you're not going to find sh1t trainers in Tiger. You'll find guys who were champions and who had tough careers and now do this for money.. and probably drive a taxi sometimes too but unless you're already a competing elite fighter you will find good tough training for your standard at Tiger. GSP trained there and I know that could mean fuk all but then again it probably does mean something about something if that makes any sense at all. You'll need a bike and if you don't stay there then you'll probably pay more and get similar somewhere else and they do the bike as well and they have their fingers in so many pies around that part of Phuket they can hook you up with any info or arrangements you choose ... they were extremely flexible for me and my gf and we ended up hangin out with the guys who run the joint and it was friendly as hell and relaxed outside of training. As far as training goes be prepared to push yourself to breaking. I remember being so tired at the end of a 2.5 hour MT morning session still hitting the pads with one of the lads so wrecked I was unable to think and still being shouted at... and for me that was what I came for. But don't be afraid you'll be pushed beyond reason or embarrassed or that one size fits all I dropped out of a few classes when I had enough a few times and literally took my leave respectfully and stepped off the mat and that was fine. If you're not elite level and you want good clean facilities with lots and lots of space and a professional set up with nice people and to train hard twice daily 5-6 days a week with Sundays off then you'll get what you want in Tiger all in one place with less hassle than any other arrangement I can think of. Last thing : don't ruin your trip by hittin the beer on training nights - do it once a week if you gotta or have a cold brew at their bar in the evening.. I saw many a well intentioned guy lose his momentum and give it up because he tasted the nightlife.

I went Oct/Nov and that meant it rained twice a day almost on a clock but dried up within 20 mins withe odd ridiculous shower where you think Armageddon has come and this is your time : ) and the training continues under the big thatched awning regardless and is not effected by the water.. in fact you'll welcome the rain taking the heat out of the day for a moment.

Things to do: loads.. not gona do a list but basically if you got a bike.. and you will coz you have to...I don't see how you could do it otherwise...then you can easily navigate the entire island over a few weeks end to end and petrol prices will give you a chuckle but don't get stung without helmets etc usual Thailand rules apply. One tip is - an awesome mahusive Buddha up on some hill which is pretty awesome and pretty mahusive... another one is go find secret beaches down Tiger end of the Island with nobody on them...also deadly... and eh there's a gibbon sanctuary run or set up by some bird from Cork somewhere up in the hills in the rainforest which is just beautiful.

if you're there a month and are serious you'll do 40-50 classes between MT and BJJ morning and afternoon sessions 6 days a week and it will cost between 200-250 euro I reckon for the classes for the month. Add the bike approx 70 and accom and ask them in an email for an all-in price- gaf, bike, training and you won't have to worry bout a thing. And tell them you heard this sh1t from a fellow Irish man who was there few years back. There's tons of Irish lads in and out of that place I was only there a wet day when I met a local Irish lad there who owned a mexican rest down the road from the gym, gas man.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,995 ✭✭✭Tim_Murphy

I've trained in both. I would go to Phuket Top Team any day of the week over Tiger. I enjoyed my 4 weeks in Tiger but I wouldn't go back there. It will suit some people but it is a globogym, some good training but lots of posers and it's hard for the Thai trainers to be too pushed with such a turn over of people every week.

PTT is a lot smaller, newer facility, with great instructors for Thai, BJJ, Wrestling and MMA. There is a really cool vibe in the place, lot of cool people there and I never felt like I was just a number.

can't argue with somebody who's been to both and fought and coached at a high level...

• Registered Users Posts: 39,100 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Which one of them runs the 3-month BJJ blue belt course?

Just my two cent...
    For training then I would say PTT. The cost for both is pretty similar as far as I remember.

2. Live in or live out?
    Both good options really.

High season you are guaranteed no rain but it would be busier. I went in low season so it wasn't as busy and bar the occasional shower that tried to kill me it was great.

4. Ideal length of time to go for?
    A month is great if you are able for it.

5. How often could one train every day?
    Twice a day is more than enough for most people. In places like this you see guys that clearly haven't trained much and they go straight into training 3 or 4 times a day. Strangely enough after a week they aren't training at all. :rolleyes:

can't argue with somebody who's been to both and fought and coached at a high level...
    Ah I'm not claiming to be the only person with a valid opinion. I know plenty of people who loved Tiger but you tend to get a lot who hated it too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,736 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

Tim_Murphy wrote: »
    I've trained in both. I would go to Phuket Top Team any day of the week over Tiger. I enjoyed my 4 weeks in Tiger but I wouldn't go back there. It will suit some people but it is a globogym, some good training but lots of posers and it's hard for the Thai trainers to be too pushed with such a turn over of people every week.

PTT is a lot smaller, newer facility, with great instructors for Thai, BJJ, Wrestling and MMA. There is a really cool vibe in the place, lot of cool people there and I never felt like I was just a number.

Anybody know where that speech in the video came from?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,732 ✭✭✭rain on

Mellor wrote: »
    Which one of them runs the 3-month BJJ blue belt course?

Top Team does that. You're not guaranteed your blue belt in 3 months from it but it is possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭Chewabacca

If anyone's looking for a cheaper alternative I have a friend who went to Rotterdam training and loved it. Rotterdam is much cheaper than Amsterdam so accommodation wouldn't be too expensive and flights are very cheap and it's a much easier journey.

A lot of people say the Dutch style of kickboxing is more applicable to MMA but having not trained much of either I really can't comment on it.

I suppose the whole point, though, is to get away from everything. Good luck if you do decide to do. Would be a fantastic experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,307 ✭✭✭p to the e

Dtp1979 wrote: »
    Anybody know where that speech in the video came from?

Think it was a Nike commercial. It's available for free download around the web AFAIK.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,100 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

rain on wrote: »
    Top Team does that. You're not guaranteed your blue belt in 3 months from it but it is possible.

Ah ok, I heard it was a guarantee, which I thought cheapened the whole thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Christopher Multisomething

Thanks for the replies. Be like nutella and tim murphy what level of experience did you have when ye visited(years training,bjj rank,fight experience etc)? Would people of all levels benefit? I'm a bjj White belt, some boxing experience years ago, have never kicked. Love bjj so would like to really improve this aspect but also thaiboxing/wrestling to improve overall.
    I think the bjj White belt to blue belt program is 95% success rate they say themselves if the student has full attendance(ie you miss a class, you make it up with a one on one class). Can anyone recommend accommodation nearby?

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭tower08

check out www.muaythailand.com

A lot of reviews of the all of the camps located across Thailand, both muay thai and mma.

AKA (Mike Swick) are also in the process of building a huge facility in Phuket also, should be finished mid year and it looks like it will be a top class facility.

Thanks for the replies. Be like nutella and tim murphy what level of experience did you have when ye visited(years training,bjj rank,fight experience etc)? Would people of all levels benefit? I'm a bjj White belt, some boxing experience years ago, have never kicked. Love bjj so would like to really improve this aspect but also thaiboxing/wrestling to improve overall.
    I think the bjj White belt to blue belt program is 95% success rate they say themselves if the student has full attendance(ie you miss a class, you make it up with a one on one class). Can anyone recommend accommodation nearby?

I had a good few years of experience when I was there. Both places cater to beginners though and there will be a mix of experience levels so I won't worry about that to be honest.
    There is loads of accommodation nearby, easy to find online. It's personal choice really, some of them are expensive but very nice, the mid range ones aren't as fancy but still good.

seriously I'd go with Tim on this he's one of the original Irish MMA fighters I just did Martial Arts since I was a kid for the craic and went training in Thailand coz it was the coolest holiday idea I ever had and it turned out to be just brilliant in every way and I couldn't push you harder to actually go and do it..wherever you train.

If you haven't kicked before then I would seriously suggest that you start a daily regime of leg stretching and go do some TKD or standard kickboxing classes if you haven't access to a MT class or even get a bag or whatever. There's some good vids on youtube that should help you increase kicking flexibility.

Kicking is just like punching and it just takes you to understand you use your whole body to kick, especially your hips/core and that your shin is a brutal weapon you need to know how to use if your getting deeper into MMA. All you need is a bag and somebody to give you a few tips and then it's down to pure repetition/adjustment/repetition til you develop your hip flexor muscles and toughen up those shins a bit and start to lift those legs higher and higher til you're able to kick explosively to the head. Bit of advice: When you do start kicking a bag, use both legs equally i.e. the same reps and you'll end up with two good weapons rather than one. I can kick similarly hard with both legs low or high because I consciously forced myself to use both legs and it seemed more possible to do this than to develop straight power in both hands for instance because you've been relying on your right hand most likely since you were 3 years old. If you balance both legs as much as you can you'll build muscle memory/neural pathways and raw power in both from the beginning and in 2 years time you'll have dangerous knees, shins and feet on both legs from any angle or stance, regular or southpaw which will allow you to switch stance in fights at will like some great fighters do so well and as I've noticed in more and more fighters recently. If you want to see what real kicking looks like you need to go watch real kicking experts who have fought K1 or MMA using vicious kicks so I would advise watching Mirko Crocop's training vids, they're not good in that the production and whatever is cak but just to watch how he throws kicks on a bag, his minimal/efficient footwork and pure explosive delivery from either leg high or low is a great marker for kicking. Just because you didn't kick in martial arts classes from 11 like myself or whoever doesn't mean you won't get awesome at kicking and it isn't about being able to do the splits... I can't split properly but I can kick well over head height because you 'll see as you learn to kick you use you hip rotation and spine and lean and balance and pure swinging power to gain that height you don't need to be able to hold up a Van Dame turning kick for some double takes. In MMA you throw round kicks through the target like a whip or a bat striking with the shin. Perfect control, chambering the knee and the ability to hold the leg up in the air all day is for ITF TKD guys who want to fence in and out to score perfect points. MMA kicking is about brutality. Bas Rutten is another good guy at explaining how to step in to kick the crap outa somebody's legs or body and watching him back in Pancrase is another good example.

I'm going to bite the bullet and book in with top team.
    Now my question is regarding accommodation. Can anyone recommend a chalet or villa that is within a scooterable distance from top team? Somewhere preferably with a pool, usual a/c, safe box etc. They all seem to have wifi but would it be a fast enough and reliable connection to stream movies, watch netflix as I'm sure my downtime will be spent resting up watching tv in the evening .
    A friend might join me from oz for a week, do they allow visitors?

Should I book for the whole month or maybe just first week then look for somewhere nicer?
    How much in euro would one expect to pay for a months accom?

Should I pay top team prior to getting there or is there danger of getting scammed and having to pay more when I get there?

• Advertisement

Kind of a bump but also a question.
    Phuket top teams website give accommodation prices such as Muai Thai house for 19000 baht Or 425 euro for a month. But when I go to a booking website it's coming out at more than 600 euro for the month. Anyone know what to expect to pay for a months accommodation? In a mid range/nice enough place similar to this.

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭tower08

I would definitly post on http://www.muaythailand.com/index.php?page=forum for helpful advice on accommodation and training etc.

Alot of accommodation recommendations available there from people training in Phuket at the moment or in the past and can let you know current prices, availability etc.

Advertisement