Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

GSP holding press conference on Friday to announce his plans for the future

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,604 ✭✭✭dave1982

Is it retirement can't be any thing else really?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭Be like Nutella

I'm veering towards - he's gona announce that he's game for a rematch next summer and use the whole thing to plug his film, such is business.

Out on 21st Feb... will it show here anywhere do yez think? Dying to see that... ok I'll stop huggin nuts

• Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭Chewabacca

Was sure it was retirement until I saw the film being mentioned. Not quite sure now, would like to see a rematch before he retires.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,748 ✭✭✭rolexeagle1

He could announce his next fight, a rematch with Jonny Hendrix to be his last, either retire on top and vacate the belt or lose to Hendrix and retire. Although he went through all that stuff with his knee not too long ago, would be a shame to retire now.

Could just be about his film

• Registered Users Posts: 7,426 ✭✭✭Roar

I can't see it being anything else than him retiring. If it were to announce that he's fighting Hendricks again it'd be a UFC thing with Dana there, not a solo press conference.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,154 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

If he was retiring it'd also be a UFC Press Conference.

It's to plug his movie. No doubt about it!

Hope so... if he's ok to fight and his 'head' is grand then bring on the rematch he'll school Hendricks with strategy and cardio next time round and put this to bed I firmly believe that.

But if he is NOT unbelievably motivated for another camp for the toughest most physically dangerous guy he's ever faced, bar none, after his last seven 5 round decisions then he should step away... especially considering the particular toll of his last 3 fights in the last 13 months. His chosen fighting style makes his career physically more demanding AND dangerous than otherwise would be if he was a banger, even though that seems counter intuitive.

UNLESS
    he's p1ssed off with Dana, for bein a dick and trashing him unnecessarily last time.

Unlikely though, he's too much of a consummate professional to react like that ie having his own press conference to retire on his terms as some sort of statement.

It's a plug ! and the fight will happen.. it's just a matter of when. He can't take a full year out now after the knee layoff what with the career clock ticking and all the hype equity built up it just wouldn't make sense. There IS a threshold to fan patience, as we've seen in last few weeks waiting for him to confirm his status. That threshold is June latest.

The boat gets inevitably pushed out at the end of great careers. Wisdom says he does this rematch.. then maybe one more fight to cash out at the top as joint P4P best ever, Ads, his book, his training products, this Feb docufilm release, the Captain America role and one of the biggest rematches ever, makes his millions, bow, walk off stage at the end of a perfect concerto.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,748 ✭✭✭rolexeagle1

http://www.bloodyelbow.com/2013/12/11/5199412/ufc-dana-white-gsp-announcement-meltdown-retirement

UFC president Dana White says that Georges St-Pierre's much hyped press event this Friday is nothing but a mall opening although he admits GSP "might have something to say."

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭chrisbag1986

we will find out friday ladies and gentlemen.

If it is his own announcement ( not to do with UFC ) then its personal stuff regarding him.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,539 ✭✭✭John_D80

... if he's ok to fight and his 'head' is grand then bring on the rematch he'll school Hendricks with strategy and cardio next time round and put this to bed I firmly believe that.

Thank god someone else said it. I was starting to think I was the only one who believed this to be the case!! :-)

His retirement is approaching but not on Friday I hope. I think he will (and wants to) fight Hendricks again when he is mentally better prepared than last time. I also think he would have retired after the last fight if he had won in a more convincing fashion. While I absolutely believe without doubt that he won the Hendricks fight, I dont think that was the type of fight any champion wants to retire after.

In legacy terms, another fight with Hendricks is only a win-win for him. If he wins he retires as champion, if he loses he retires as the magnanimous legend, graciously passing the mantle to the next generation.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭weemcd

gsp takes 6 months, goes to train with tiger mauy thai in Thailand, comes back, defeats hendricks, retires.

spent a month training there mesmelf (so what:) unbelievable facility.... ridiculous actually. Gotta go back someday.

spent a month training there mesmelf (so what:) unbelievable facility.... ridiculous actually. Gotta go back someday.

Bucket list item right there. I don't do MMA, I train a little at a boxing gym, friend of mine has the keys so we can use it whenever we want. We do a circuit looking at a few MMA training videos as reference points, skipping, bag work, pads, tyre flipping, hitting tyre with hammer, 3 minute reps of pushups, crunches, squaets etc. no sparring for me, yet. If I get my fitness up I might consider looking at sparring in a few months. But I'll want to have a look at Mauy Thai and some other matrial arts in my life.

I kinda feel like I'm in a computer game, and I've just played 2/3 levels of the first training section...

Any pics or a blog about what you got upto? or is that all a secret :cool:

ha no I just buzzed over one November a few years back and I can't imagine a better training facility with better weather and better people anywhere.

It's a very large facility you should look up some of their vids on youtube.. tours etc it's about 3 times as big as any facility I've ever heard of. People go there mostly for the MT training but they're a full MMA gym now with proper BJJ and MMA training with Elbe and others. Mike Swick and about 10 others of that period were training the year I was there and ever since I keep hearing about more top guys training there. It'll ruin your expectations for what is an MT or MMA gym forever though coz you just couldn't build a camp like that anywhere else on earth with the outdoor nature to it and the sheer square footage and number of pad men/trainers it's just an amazing set up.. couldn't recommend it more to any budding fighters here thinking of doin a Thai camp. A month there doing it right 5-6 hours training a day split between morning and evening with some yoga, running and weights eating their protein shakes and healthy food and you'd jump a level. Anyway yeah awesome place.

^ I'm doing yoga myself atm. that sounds incredible, something to look at.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,154 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

They started doing yoga in my gym and I really wanted to get into it (because i'm horribly inflexible) but they couldn't get the numbers so it's not on the timetable anymore. Shame!

I couldn't keep my concentration in yoga the female instructor was just far too hot for any type of focus... counter productive really! As far as flexibility goes ya gotta do the ould TKD style leg swings in 3 different directions and stick to it for a few months man and you'll notice massive difference in kick height ability general hips flexibility no messin just try it - called Dynamic stretching really works

You need to stick at the yoga, I found my first 3 classes I was lookin around the place and checkin the girls out and not focusing. After a few more I really learned to block everything out, best advice is to pick a spot on the floor or wall and stare at it, helps with the balance too. Couldn't recommend it enough

• Registered Users Posts: 12,246 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

The plot thickens...

GSP now hosting a joint media call WITH Dana White today.

Chances of GSP retiring just went up significantly IMO compared to the previous "he's just doing a mall opening".

• Registered Users Posts: 12,431 ✭✭✭✭El Guapo!

Maybe he's doing a Tito and challenging Dana to a fight. :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

MrStuffins wrote: »
    They started doing yoga in my gym and I really wanted to get into it (because i'm horribly inflexible) but they couldn't get the numbers so it's not on the timetable anymore. Shame!

Yoga is brilliant when you keep with it. Even in a short time the difference you notice is masssive. Used to be able to kick to the head, then I was lucky to keep it wait high, now nearly back to the head :pac:

AKAs facility in Thailand looks like its coming along nicely too.

Now back on topic: Im surprised to see the conf call with Dana. Curious-er & curious-er

• Registered Users Posts: 12,246 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

I wonder if GSP and Hendricks are coaching the ladies on TUF 20?

It would give GSP the break he wants, although I'm not sure if Hendricks would want the wait.

Hiatus getting reported in a few places now (translated link)

http://www.rds.ca/combat/ufc/la-longue-pause-se-confirme-1.806744

• Registered Users Posts: 2,546 ✭✭✭Masked Man

GSP on now for 15 minutes.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,541 ✭✭✭Davei141

Sounds like he is giving up the belt, semi retiring..

He defo sounds like he will be back though

he's dead right if that's how he feels then hand the belt over and enjoy his life until the hunger comes back strong enough!

Agree completely, he sounds so relieved during the conference call

• Advertisement

I can only imagine the kinda weight that would take off someones shoulders. Hope he enjoys his break and comes back whenever he's ready

Advertisement