Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Michael Schumacher Suffers Serious Head Injury In Skiing Accident

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭IvaBigWun

bnt wrote: »
    No news on Schumi himself, but the Daily Mail is trying to create a controversy over Lewis Hamilton's ski trip pictures. How dare he smile while his colleague is in hospital?

It's a lost cause, since even they can't keep up the pretence, and are backing off by 1/3 of the way down:

Will Michael be offended by shots of someone else having fun on the slopes? Not likely. :cool:

Its the Daily Mail. Who gives a fúck?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 226 ✭✭Frank Garrett

It's Schumacher's birthday today.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,996 ✭✭✭Duck Soup

No news on Schumi himself, but the Daily Mail is trying to create a controversy over Lewis Hamilton's ski trip pictures. How dare he smile while his colleague is in hospital?

It's a lost cause, since even they can't keep up the pretence, and are backing off by 1/3 of the way down:

Will Michael be offended by shots of someone else having fun on the slopes? Not likely. :cool:

As one of the commenters on the Mail's Lewis Hamilton article pointed out, the Mail is running an article calling Hamilton's skiing pics in bad taste, when the Mail themselves went and took pics of the rocks Schumacher's head hit and even zoomed in on the blood in the snow caused by the accident. Yes really.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2532565/Michael-Schumachers-wife-arrives-hospital-fourth-day-bedside-vigil-F1-drivers-manager-reveals-stress-taking-toll-her.html

Stay classy, Daily Mail.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 723 ✭✭✭Daqster

No news on Schumi himself, but the Daily Mail is trying to create a controversy over Lewis Hamilton's ski trip pictures.

Eh, no they aren't.

The DM decide to create controversy but yet change their mind during their own article?

The Star, The Mirror and Independent were actually the first sites to run that story and DM, when they finally did run it, where the only one of the main media sites to include Lewis's following 'get well tweet' for Michael:
    Lewis's Tweet:

Earlier in the week, Hamilton posted a get well message for Schumacher on Twitter, whom doctors yesterday described as being in a stable condition.

Hamilton said: ‘Mine & my family’s prayers & thoughts are with Michael & his family. I wish him a quick recovery. God Bless him. The Hamiltons.’

Duck Soup wrote: »
    the Mail is running an article calling Hamilton's skiing pics in bad taste

The DM did not call those pics 'bad taste' - no more than you just did.

They are referring to the people on Instagram and Twitter, which is obvious if you read the article and again, the DM were the only news site (of the main four or five that carried the story) that bothered to include Lewis's get well tweet, thereby giving it context and they also even included a screen cap of it, leaving people in no doubt as to what a decent guy Lewis is.

And so, yet again we have the DM getting vilified for little. What's new.

Guess people would rather rant about the big bad DM than let something as simple as the facts get in the way.

Daqster wrote: »
    The DM did not call those pics 'bad taste' - no more than you just did.

They are referring to the people on Instagram and Twitter, which is obvious if you read the article and again, the DM's article is the only one of the main four or five news sites that bother to show Lewis's get well tweet, let alone include a screen cap of it as they did with Lewis's original post by the way.

Newspapers are creatures of caution - they habitually preface half their articles with 'allegedly' and the other half...well, the other half they use other people's words to do their dirty work for them.

The headline is unequivocal. Fans blast Hamilton's 'bad taste' ski photos: F1 driver posts snaps online as Schumacher lies in coma

The sub-heads drive home the message. Formula One star has been accused of acting in 'horrendously bad taste'

This is how newspapers skirt round libel laws. Rather than a newspaper taking an editorial position, they report and amplify an existing section of opinion.

So for example, the Mail pre-WW2 might have run a headline that said "That Mr Hitler is a terribly nice chap" and put underneath in smaller type "says Prime Minister Chamberlain."

This is how newspapers operate. If the Mail disagreed with the sentiment from online commenters, then they could simply not have run the story. It's a hatchet job posing as news.

Although I will take something back. The Mail didn't go out and photograph the rocks that cracked Schumacher's head and the bloody snow nearby. They paid the Picture Alliance photo news agency for their shots of the same.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 723 ✭✭✭Daqster

Duck Soup wrote: »
    This is how newspapers skirt round libel laws. Rather than a newspaper taking an editorial position, they report and amplify an existing section of opinion.

Yes, I agree with you, that is generally how newspapers operate. However, we have screencaps of the tweets which they were referring to.

We KNOW that other people posted that stuff and the DM (and other news sites) were just quoting them.

So again, the DM did not call, nor infer, that Lewis Hamilton's tweets were 'bad taste'.

In fact, as I have said above, they went out of their way to include the tweets that Lewis made wishing Michael well (screen capped them in fact) thereby putting his holiday tweets in context, which was something that almost none of the other news sites did.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,235 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

The daily mail are sh1t stirring like they always do.

They don't care about the 'content' of their 'news', they only want to drive traffic to their site, and it works.

Difference of messages between Schumacher's manager, Sabine Kehm and a Schumacher friend and former F1 driver, Philippe Streiff.

Sabine Kehm maintains the official line, which is that Schumacher is serious but stable and his life remains "in danger".

Philippe Streiff says he's been told off the record that Schumacher is now considered out of danger: “I'm not a doctor, I'm repeating what Gerard Saillant (surgeon and friend of the Schumacher family) told me. Gerard Saillant said it is a serious condition but his life is not in danger anymore now, thankfully.”

http://www.independent.ie/sport/other-sports/michael-schumacher-remains-critical-but-stable-according-to-family-29888557.html

• Registered Users Posts: 81,182 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Schumacher on repeat of Top Gear on RTÉ2 now.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,382 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,339 ✭✭✭Artful_Badger

Doesnt look like anything but speculation to warm up a story thats gone a bit cold to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,382 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

That's true, I suppose it should be remembered that the coma was induced, and these things take time.
    Also this is the daily mail.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭Peanut Butter Jelly

Daniel Albecht was in a coma for 3 weeks after a ski racing accident in Kitzbuhel, made a full recovery. I don't like comparing comparing Michael's injury to others but it isn't the first time someone has been in a coma for 18 days after a skiing accident.

Plus, Schumacher turned 45 on the 3rd of January, so you can see the great level of detailed research the DM have put into this story. :rolleyes:

****ing scumbag Daily Mail.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,245 ✭✭✭PropJoe10

The sooner the Daily Mail is shut down, the better for mankind in general. Terrible article just trying to stir ****.

PropJoe10 wrote: »
    The sooner the Daily Mail is shut down, the better for mankind in general. Terrible article just trying to stir ****.

I'm constantly saying when these types of speculative articles come out that we shouldn't heed it unless it's confirmed by Jean Francois Payen (Anaesthetist - Induced Schumacher in coma), Emmanuel Gay (Neurosurgeon - Carried out second operation to remove haematoma on left side of brain), Stephan Chabardes (Neurosurgeon - Carried out first operation (a decompressive craniectomy) to relieve Intra-Cranial Pressure and haematoma), Sabine Kehm (Manager and PR Officer), Corrina Schumacher (Wife), Rolf Schumacher (Father), Ralf Schumacher (Brother), Gerard Saillant (Neurosurgeon, Friend of Schumacher. Helped with rehabilitation after broken leg in July 1999), or an OFFICIAL representative for the hospital. It's for the best and we won't get false information from them.

Yeah, all you get from rags like the Daily Fail is insensitivity and sensational headlines.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,235 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

The Daily mail are just pathetic.

The doctors who are caring for him have decided to leave him in a Coma to give him the best possible chance to recover and the Daily Mail use this as a headline to say he will never recover

When the doctors decide it's time to wake him up, if he does make a recovery, the Daily Mail will put up headlines like 'Schumacher's miracle recovery' Schumacher recovers despite doctors saying he would never wake up" or some other rubbish.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,733 ✭✭✭SnowDrifts

Gary Hartstein's thoughts on the recent speculation

http://formerf1doc.wordpress.com/2014/01/16/these-recent-reports/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 218 ✭✭burnhardlanger

Should it be an infraction to post links to the DM website?
    If you could stop generating traffic to their shiddy shid stirring articles then it wouldn't generate as many hits :D

• Advertisement

Statement today from Kelm regarding Michael's condition for the first time doesn't mention the word "critical".

http://www1.skysports.com/f1/news/24191/9120624/michael-schumacher-still-in-a-stable-condition-in-hospital-reports-his-manager

Here is the full statement translated...

https://twitter.com/bgarloff/status/424200543767396352/photo/1

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

If everyone hates the Mail so much then stop quoting from it. It's getting really annoying.

If that statement isn't updated later to include "critical", I'll be very happy.

If that statement isn't updated later to include "critical", I'll be very happy.

Yes exactly. It could be the case that the omission of the word "critical" from the statement is not necessarily the same as if it was stated "Michael is no longer critical."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

By the way Peanut Butter, what does that piece of ye olde 'ink pen' manuscript mean on your posts?

LordSutch wrote: »
    By the way Peanut Butter, what does that piece of ye olde 'ink pen' manuscript mean on your posts?

Tis m'ainm as gaeilge with old style spelling.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

That's alright, so its you name in Irish in old style spelling, Its just so big, I was wondering :)

Thanks.

Yeah, it's set as my sig cause it's pretty unique.

OT: If by 7pm tomorrow, there's no mention of critical in an update, we MAY be able to do a little happy dance.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,962 ✭✭✭✭dark crystal

French media reporting that Schumacher's doctors have apparantly begun the process of taking him out of his medically induced coma and say he is responding positively:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2548067/Doctors-begun-process-taking-Michael-Schumacher-coma-claim-French-media.html

His medical team aren't giving much away, though.

• Advertisement

His sedation is being reduced today apparently, to allow the waking up process to start. Lets all hope for the best.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-25963926

Advertisement