Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"Lone Wolf" FPS

Options
  • 29-12-2013 9:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭

I'm not really a gamer but I did grow up playing some classics like Doom, Quake 1 & 2, Medal of Honor and Hitman. The last games I fully played were Crysis and FEAR a number of years ago.

I might have some time soon to play another but I much prefer the lone wolf FPS like the ones I mentioned rather than being part of a team of non-playable characters.

Can anyone recommend any modern lone wolf FPS, either ones that are part of major franchises or stand-alones.

I haven't been keeping track of the industry so I don't even know if any of the Call of Duty series has lone wolf gameplay.

PC only.

Also, when researching games online, is there anyway to tell if the gameplay is lone wolf or part of a team. Is there any gaming website that makes this clear.

Thanks.

(feeling like a complete noob here)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 926 ✭✭✭Icaras

Bioshock springs to mind. 1 is very good, great story and atmosphere. 2 has different types of battles - you need to plan and get organised before you start a fight.

I also enjoyed call of duty modern warfare (only the first one none of the rest) - some good set pieces and a fine story line.

Also Half life (all of them)

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,516 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

Clearly Half-Life and Portal tho Portal isn't really a shooter.
    Also there is Hard Reset, Singularity, RAGE, Metro games, FarCry games.
    Call of Juarez Gunslinger is also supposed to be very good.
    Max Payne 3 is third person but does a great job controls wise.
    Less shooty are Deus Ex: HR, Dishonoured, Mirror's Edge
    Of course don't forget (shudder) Call of Duty,

• Registered Users Posts: 13,561 ✭✭✭✭briany

STALKER games
    Metro 2033
    Metro Last Light
    Far Cry 1, 2 & 3

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,737 ✭✭✭Bepolite

Fallout New Vegas is something ridiculous like €2.49 on steam at the moment. It's an RPG but really it's a shooter.

Painkiller games are old but awesome.

Just confirmed the that - if you dont buy Fallout:NV for 2 quid there's something wrong with you :P

• Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

I really liked the Splinter Cell games.
    Great storylines and they get pretty good reviews too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭quarryman

Has to be Stalker. True Lone Wolf shooter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

Stalker series +eleventy. It's distilled lone wolf goodness.

Serious Sam BFE is well worth a look too. Harks back to the Quake/Doom days of bunnyhop-bunnyhop-rocketjump-BLAMBLAMBLAM fragging simplicity.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,387 ✭✭✭glynf

Agreed. Stalker series(check out the LURK and complete mods) and metro games are excellent, farcry 3, Crysis 3 and bioshock infinite probably best of the most recent titles.

Same as you Op, I much prefer a decent single player story driven fps. Hard to find time to game these days, not prepared to waste it finding good online MP.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

staaaaaaaaaaaaalker

• Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭SimonTemplar

Thanks for your replies. Stalker looks interesting.

One of the main reasons I dislike the "part of a team" gameplay is at times you feel like a passenger in your own game. One of the most entertaining aspects of older FPS such as Medal of Honor is exploring the environment, choosing your strategy, making mistakes, correcting the strategy and feeling a sense of achievement when you progress.

I watched the first 6 minutes of this walkthough from Call of Duty: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lybrLvP_UaU
    I don't know if that is representative of modern FPS but jesus it looks awful. The commanding officer is essentially spoon feeding the player like an annoying friend watching you playing. I actually couldn't believe that he told the player that he was looking at the wrong tower!! If that was Medal of Honor, the player would have had to discover that themselves and therefore, the game would be more immersive.

It is very frustrating because the graphics look excellent but that "dumbing down" of the gameplay would seriously annoy me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,387 ✭✭✭glynf

Agreed. Stalker series(check out the LURK and complete mods) and metro games are excellent, farcry 3, Crysis 3 and bioshock infinite probably best of the most recent titles.

Same as you Op, I much prefer a decent single player story driven fps. Hard to find time to game these days, not prepared to waste it finding good online MP.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

if you get stalker install the complete mod

http://www.moddb.com/mods/stalker-complete-2009

it's mainly graphics updates and bugfixes, doesn't change the vanilla game in any significant way

• Registered Users Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭quarryman

Thanks for your replies. Stalker looks interesting.

One of the main reasons I dislike the "part of a team" gameplay is at times you feel like a passenger in your own game. One of the most entertaining aspects of older FPS such as Medal of Honor is exploring the environment, choosing your strategy, making mistakes, correcting the strategy and feeling a sense of achievement when you progress.

I watched the first 6 minutes of this walkthough from Call of Duty: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lybrLvP_UaU
    I don't know if that is representative of modern FPS but jesus it looks awful. The commanding officer is essentially spoon feeding the player like an annoying friend watching you playing. I actually couldn't believe that he told the player that he was looking at the wrong tower!! If that was Medal of Honor, the player would have had to discover that themselves and therefore, the game would be more immersive.

It is very frustrating because the graphics look excellent but that "dumbing down" of the gameplay would seriously annoy me.

For the love of god stay away from call of duty. Linear, predictable garbage.

Since you want some exploring Stalker would be perfect for you. Check out a lets play on youtube.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,541 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

To be honest "Lone Wolf" isn't a genre, but "Squad based " is, or rather it tends to be a feature of the offending titles.
    So, stay away from the like of Ghost Recon.
    A certain amount of CoD hate about but some of the earlier ones, I'm thinking CoD2, are actually quite good.
    The original Half life is available for free from Steam under the name Black Mesa, it's the updated edition and very impressive.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,269 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

Not a FPS but something that sounds like it would be along the lines of what you want would be X-Com Enemy unknown; squad based game but you control the full squad and have to work with the environment (which allow you to blow holes in walls etc.) to take out a superior enemy force.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

What bout the new version of Shadow Warrior?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,394 ✭✭✭Pac1Man

A bit of an oldie nowadays but what about Medal of Honour: Allied Assault. I had some serious fun with that game back in the day simply replaying the D-Day landing. Had me awestruck with immersion that hasn't been matched in a shooter since.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,213 ✭✭✭MajesticDonkey

Rainbow Six Vegas and Vegas 2 have pretty epic SP campaigns.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 quakke

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    The original Half life is available for free from Steam under the name Black Mesa, it's the updated edition and very impressive.
    <br />
    <br />
    Saw this and had to reg just to respond to it. Half-Life1 and Black Mesa are totally different games. Black Mesa has completely different leveldesign, soundworld and look to it. It even has modern gameplay elements such as sprint or aimdownthesight, which under any circumstances don't belong in Half-Life.

Half-Life1 has a fantastic athmosphere due to absolutely well thought out sound-design and enviromental design. Black Mesa has none of that. It even has totally different music.

People really should stop advertising Black Mesa as the "original Half-Life experience". Since it's nothing of like.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,541 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

OK, a tad harsh tbh.
    Black Mesa takes the theme, story and execution of Half Life and updates them.
    It complements the original game rather than replaces them.
    It is a great deal given that its free once you have a Source game already purchased.
    You really shouldn't be so precious about things like games.
    I played and finished Half Life on release, played the PS2 and unreleased DC versions too.
    So, I'd consider myself a fan of the series since the outset and certainly don't find Black Mesa as offensive as you seem to.
    No worries, live and let live.

• Advertisement

What's a "sound world" anyway?
    Is that a thing?

You can sprint in Half-life... Also only the magnum has ADS in Black Mesa,
    It's a pretty decent reimagining.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 quakke

5uspect wrote: »
    You can sprint in Half-life... Also only the magnum has ADS in Black Mesa,
    It's a pretty decent reimagining.

Lol. There is a difference with Half-Life1 sprint and Call of Duty style sprint. Half-Life allows you to shoot, Call of Duty style sprint (Black Mesa) puts your gun down and disables shooting. May be realistic, but games are "FUN FIRST, Realism after, if there is any room for it.." therefore considering that Half-Life was fun, i don't understand why people have to make it (Black Mesa) another modern game that is not fun?

quakke wrote: »
    Lol. There is a difference with Half-Life1 sprint and Call of Duty style sprint. Half-Life allows you to shoot, Call of Duty style sprint (Black Mesa) puts your gun down and disables shooting. May be realistic, but games are "FUN FIRST, Realism after, if there is any room for it.." therefore considering that Half-Life was fun, i don't understand why people have to make it (Black Mesa) another modern game that is not fun?

I had fun playing it.
    Well better not waste any more time playing this free game so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭Reekwind

I've just finished Far Cry 3 and had a blast with it. It's got flaws but is still one of the best games (and definitely the best FPS) that I've played in years. Recommended

Interestingly, one of the nice things about Far Cry 3 was that it brought back memories of the original. That was a decent FPS with some cracking set piece battles

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

i don't understand why people have to make it (Black Mesa) another modern game that is not fun?

Have you even played Black Mesa? It's plenty fun, an excellent game given a dose of polish.

I think the important words your post needs are the following "in my opinon", as it will clear up all ambiguity.

Black Mesa is an excellent and free fps, based on and acting as an update to Half Life, a game much in need of a graphical overhaul.
    The gameplay elements are there to make it more appealing to a wider audience and in that regard I think it's been a success.

Once again, Black Mesa in no way replaces Half Life, it doesn't seek, George Lucas Special Edition Style, to erase the earlier title with a new definitive version.

Of course, and watch what I do here, this is all just my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,809 ✭✭✭Gone Drinking

Where's all the cool multiplayer sci-fi Death match/CTF games gone?

Nothing as touched Q3/UT/Tribes in recent years.. or maybe i'm missing something. I'm probably missing something!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭penev10

Nothing as touched Q3/UT/Tribes in recent years.. or maybe i'm missing something. I'm probably missing something!

I've only played a bit of Halo online (Reach and 4) but it's probably the closest you'll get. Some of the maps are very Q3.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭gaynorvader

Have you heard about Shattered Horizon? It's quite different as it's a full 3D environment and you tend to be in a different orientation to whover you're shooting at, but it's good.

Advertisement