Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Galway man, 23, critical after assault in Northbridge, Perth

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭catbear

jank wrote: »
    Can you clarify by what you mean by the statement that you say the Australian constitution excludes certain races? How exactly are they excluded? Aborigines can go the courts and have their grievances aired, they won lots of land mark cases some years back in regards ownership of land.
    I provided links to the relevent sections of the constitution in an earlier post.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

catbear wrote: »
    I provided links to the relevent sections of the constitution in an earlier post.

Does Australia or any state in Australia exclude any person from voting or receiving any state benefit on the grounds of race?

Please provide an example if so.

• Registered Users Posts: 812 ✭✭✭rightyabe

The thing I can't understand is if you go to most town/cities in Ireland that have nightclubs there is almost always a fight at throwing out time or people kicked out for fighting etc..

I only heard of a king hit a few times in Irish/uk media. There were a few cases on crimewatch uk if I remember correct. How come its such a big thing in Australia?

1. Is it that the media make it headline news in oz?
    2. A increase of people doing MMA or just spending time working out thus making them more capable of a KO punch.
    3. We're the fights in Ireland just drunken handbags? Cause I remember seeing a few bloodbaths in nightclubs before and never heard of anyone being killed of dying of it?

You can blame alcohol as a factor in some if not most of king hits I'm sure but being drunk doesn't give you super powers to KO people, although it would probably make the victim more unsteady on their feet..

I'd like to see facts on this crime in other countries and compare to see is this a Australian craze or just the australian media sensationalising it. Is it in proportion with other countries?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭mandrake04

rightyabe wrote: »
    The thing I can't understand is if you go to most town/cities in Ireland that have nightclubs there is almost always a fight at throwing out time or people kicked out for fighting etc..

I only heard of a king hit a few times in Irish/uk media. There were a few cases on crimewatch uk if I remember correct. How come its such a big thing in Australia?

1. Is it that the media make it headline news in oz?
    2. A increase of people doing MMA or just spending time working out thus making them more capable of a KO punch.
    3. We're the fights in Ireland just drunken handbags? Cause I remember seeing a few bloodbaths in nightclubs before and never heard of anyone being killed of dying of it?

You can blame alcohol as a factor in some if not most of king hits I'm sure but being drunk doesn't give you super powers to KO people, although it would probably make the victim more unsteady on their feet..

I'd like to see facts on this crime in other countries and compare to see is this a Australian craze or just the australian media sensationalising it. Is it in proportion with other countries?

It's not the punch that kills, but often the victim hits his head on the concrete that does the damage.

In the US it's called the knockout game & in UK it's referred to as Bombing or a bomb punch. You should try googling those or stick it into Youtube.

Zambia wrote: »
    Does Australia or any state in Australia exclude any person from voting or receiving any state benefit on the grounds of race?

Please provide an example if so.

The constitution reserves the right to exclude along racial grounds, in a post apartheid world the onus is on the state to explain why it has not removed it.

Again we're as off topic as reasons not to visit kababs shops.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,280 ✭✭✭jackbhoy

I saw a stat recently that assaults were actually lower than in decades, just getting highly publicised. I'll try and dig out that piece.

The Aus media are shockers when it comes to themes and flavor of month reporting. We all know that assaults like happened to this poor guy are abhorrent, but they have been happening forever.

There are real issues like cost of living, disenfranchised young immigrants, aboriginal health/substance abuse/suicides but nobody will touch real issues as no political party has clean hands in history of these issues, and no clue how to do anything about them now. That's why we get crap about bikies, "sovereign borders" and stopping boats, as if a bunch of third world asylum seekers were an invading force.

Like with the bikies, you'll see lots of political grandstanding about new "king hit" laws. This is all nonsense, there are ample laws to deal with these offences, it's up to police and judiciary to use them as intended and take these roid rage cowards off the streets.

Yeah mandrake04 I know it's the fall and hitting concrete that does the damage but concrete isn't just an Australian thing.

The constitution reserves the right to exclude along racial grounds, in a post apartheid world the onus is on the state to explain why it has not removed it.

Again we're as off topic as reasons not to visit kababs shops.

Catbear you brought us here when your being asked the hard questions on your views it's a little late to cry "off topic"

The fact is no race is excluded, if anything aboriginals and Torres Strait islanders are given greater proctection than other Australians.

But if you don't want to see that , that's your issue.

Back on topic then

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭sawdoubters

the worst place to go after the pub ,in Ireland Australia London is fast food place theres always fight breaking out

people show the worst side when drunk

Jackbhoy, I think Monash uni did a study and apparently there have been 90 deaths over the last 12 years attributed to King Hit.

It said Alcohol alone is to blame in the overwhelming majority of cases.

• Advertisement

mandrake04 wrote: »
    Jackbhoy, I think Monash uni did a study and apparently there have been 90 deaths over the last 12 years attributed to King Hit.

It said Alcohol alone is to blame in the overwhelming majority of cases.

Good info. I personally feel its to easy to blame alcohol. I feel the core problem is egos and social status is a sense that these morons are going round as if there hard men looking for trouble in the knowledge they have the force to KO in one punch. Add alcohol to the mix and sense of reality is lowered, maybe to the level that they feel they will be seen as a hero in there social circle if they can KO a few fellas for a laugh and the hard man reputation that would follow.

It's well know that young males have a poor grasp of action leads to consequence..in the heat of the moment under the influence of alcohol and possibly drugs anything can happen.

Catbear you brought us here when your being asked the hard questions on your views it's a little late to cry "off topic"

The fact is no race is excluded, if anything aboriginals and Torres Strait islanders are given greater proctection than other Australians.

Back on topic then

Zambia is correct, aboriginals and Torres Strait are given preference in public employment and public services. They are given extra benefit & family payments and grants and interest free loans for starting business etc.

My Irish friends wife has aboriginal heritage but not enough to qualify, he works with this Aussie guy who hates aboriginals and my mate always winds this guy up about how because he is married to her he gets the "Guilt money payments" and is saving it up for a pool.

Yer man cracks it when he hears that.

Good info. I personally feel its to easy to blame alcohol. I feel the core problem is egos and social status is a sense that these morons are going round as if there hard men looking for trouble in the knowledge they have the force to KO in one punch. Add alcohol to the mix and sense of reality is lowered, maybe to the level that they feel they will be seen as a hero in there social circle if they can KO a few fellas for a laugh and the hard man reputation that would follow.

It's well know that young males have a poor grasp of action leads to consequence..in the heat of the moment under the influence of alcohol and possibly drugs anything can happen.

http://www.acats.com.au/blog/king-hits-kill-90-australians-mostly-drunk-young-men

This is not piece I read (don't usually read The Australian) but cites some of the stats I was talking about:

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/opinion/columnists/sobering-statistics-suggest-ofarrell-may-have-overreacted-but-is-decidedly-on-to-a-winner/story-fn8qlm5e-1226809719417#

While the statistical evidence suggests alcohol-fuelled violence is on the decline, detailed polling obtained exclusively for this column shows the public believes it is on the rise.

So politicians are reacting to a perceived escalation in problems rather than an actual crisis.

According to the NSW Bureau of Crime Statistics and Research, over the past five years assaults on licensed premises across the state have fallen by 7.2 per cent and off-premises the incidence has dropped 3.9 per cent. In the Kings Cross area over the same period, assaults in licensed premises have fallen while off-premises they have remained stable.

Back on topic then
    Start a new thread on that subject if you like, i'll join you there. We might even help your adversion to particular ethnic foods.

Start a new thread on that subject if you like, i'll join you there. We might even help your aversion to particular ethnic foods.

I have debated the whole "is Australia Racist" thing to death and no one ever changes their minds. So in the end what would be the point.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

<snip>

<snip>

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

<snip>

jackbhoy wrote: »

Along the same lines:

Drunken street attacks are in focus, and decline, unlike domestic violence http://gu.com/p/3m4ah/tw via @guardian

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 2,639 Mod ✭✭✭✭TrueDub

3 posts in this thread have been edited - either take it to PM or start a new thread in the appropriate forum. No more personal stuff.

This thread is on thin ice.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 12,333 ✭✭✭✭JONJO THE MISER

What is it with Australia, not a day goes by without us hearing about more Irish people getting beat up, they have a big problem there with there aggressive and macho culture.
    Ive lived in America and Canada and i have never witnessed there the amount of aggressive behaviour that i saw when i was in Australia.

A man accused of killing a 23-year-old Irishman in a one-punch assault in Perth will claim self defence at his trial.
    https://au.news.yahoo.com/thewest/a/24865622/one-punch-accused-to-plead-self-defence/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

What is it with Australia, not a day goes by without us hearing about more Irish people getting beat up, they have a big problem there with there aggressive and macho culture.
    Ive lived in America and Canada and i have never witnessed there the amount of aggressive behaviour that i saw when i was in Australia.

I would love to know how much drink is involved? You see it every week in Ireland, fellas brawling and fighting on the street or in pubs, langersed drunk.
    I am not commenting on anyone who has been the victim of these assaults, nor the unfortunates who have lost their lives.

seachto7 wrote: »
    I would love to know how much drink is involved? You see it every week in Ireland, fellas brawling and fighting on the street or in pubs, langersed drunk.
    I am not commenting on anyone who has been the victim of these assaults, nor the unfortunates who have lost their lives.

I'll find the link later showing Australia consumes more alcohol per head than Ireland. There is definitely a more machismo attitude around drinking in Australia.

Edit for link: http://online.wsj.com/articles/alcohol-which-country-drinks-the-most-1408705249

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

It would be interesting to see how many of these horrible incidents happen on weekdays during the day?

• Registered Users Posts: 8 b_ferry

seachto7 wrote: »
    It would be interesting to see how many of these horrible incidents happen on weekdays during the day?
    Probably none (from my recollection). And latest statistics are citing success with late lockout laws (where enforced).
    However, there may be very occasional Road Rage threats during the day, although not as common as maybe a few years ago.
    Unfortunately there is, failures in boys education, steroid use for body image, the Crystal Meth (Ice) epidemic (stated by NSW Police Chief), & probably the UFC influence. Along with a decrease in personal responsibility and respect. Risk comes from being in the wrong place at the wrong time.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,031 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

b_ferry wrote: »
    Unfortunately there is, failures in boys education, steroid use for body image, the Crystal Meth (Ice) epidemic (stated by NSW Police Chief), & probably the UFC influence.

Failure in education? I don't think people need to education to know they shouldn't attack people. They're aware, they just don't care imo.

The link between steroids and aggression is over played by the media. It's exaggerates existing traits, it won't change people though. If somebody is acts like a dick on steroids, it's because they are a dick to begin with.

I've no idea how you think the UFC has anything to do with it. That's the kind of crap is expect from gutter tabloid articles tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,746 ✭✭✭irishmover

Mellor wrote: »
    Failure in education? I don't think people need to education to know they shouldn't attack people. They're aware, they just don't care imo.

The link between steroids and aggression is over played by the media. It's exaggerates existing traits, it won't change people though. If somebody is acts like a dick on steroids, it's because they are a dick to begin with.

I've no idea how you think the UFC has anything to do with it. That's the kind of crap is expect from gutter tabloid articles tbh.

I think unless we've got very nailed on statistics which covers all the bases we aren't really going to know for sure what influences this.

I think what yourself and b_ferry said are both valid. Could be just that they're dicks and always have been or could be that they've had a poor upbringing, history of violence in family etc..

• Advertisement

Guilty of manslaughter

http://m.rte.ie/news/2015/0521/702675-thomas-keaney-perth/#media

Let's hope the sentence reflects the fact that this action took away everything this man was and everything he ever would be.

Advertisement