Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Any laptop deals in the sales?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

SRFC wrote: »
    Cheers ill get one with that,salesmen in different shops telling completely different things about the processors,is the AMD10 the only amd one worth getting? might try get a i5 with touch screen,is the speed of the laptop down to the GHZ speed?

Depends what you are going. If theres games involved (even light gaming) you would want to consider the graphics chipset being used also.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,409 ✭✭✭droidman123

Cheers ill get one with that,salesmen in different shops telling completely different things about the processors,is the AMD10 the only amd one worth getting? might try get a i5 with touch screen,is the speed of the laptop down to the GHZ speed?

for what you are going to be using it for, an i5 processor should be more than enough. the speed will also depend on the ram, anything with 4gb ram or up will be grand.

Farrell wrote: »
    Was in curry's in enniskillen - i5 4200, 8mb ram, with 1tb hard-drive £399 (€498) Windows 8.
    Does office not come installed on laptops anymore?

what model was it?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,132 ✭✭✭SRFC

Ive narrowed it down to these two its either get the touch screen for novely purposes of having one with amd quad core A8 processor 8gb ram 1tb storage

http://www.currys.ie/Product/HP-Pavilion-15n090sa-TouchSmart-156-Touchscreen-Laptop-Aluminium-Black-and-Silver/320817/7.37#tech

or this Paviliion non touch with i5 processor http://www.currys.ie/Product/HP-Pavilion-15n096ea-156-Laptop/320803/1.11#tech

Is it just a case of Touch screen preference or will there be any big difference in performance if I go for the amd over the i5? if you had to pick which is better I like the touch but prefer the i5 so im undecided :confused:

Ive narrowed it down to these two its either get the touch screen for novely purposes of having one with amd quad core A8 processor 8gb ram 1tb storage

http://www.currys.ie/Product/HP-Pavilion-15n090sa-TouchSmart-156-Touchscreen-Laptop-Aluminium-Black-and-Silver/320817/7.37#tech

or this Paviliion non touch with i5 processor http://www.currys.ie/Product/HP-Pavilion-15n096ea-156-Laptop/320803/1.11#tech

Is it just a case of Touch screen preference or will there be any big difference in performance if I go for the amd over the i5? if you had to pick which is better I like the touch but prefer the i5 so im undecided :confused:
    http://www.currys.ie/Product/HP-Pavilion-15n096ea-156-Laptop/320803/1.11#tech

Personally thats the one i would go for.i was actually looking at it yesterday and thinking of getting it. Obviously its not a touchscreen, but thats all down to preference, i would rather have a non touch with an i5 than a touch with an amd.spec-wise, this is a beast of a machine and should serve all your needs.

• Advertisement

Personally thats the one i would go for.i was actually looking at it yesterday and thinking of getting it. Obviously its not a touchscreen, but thats all down to preference, i would rather have a non touch with an i5 than a touch with an amd.spec-wise, this is a beast of a machine and should serve all your needs.

Yeah ill go for that I think seen as its 200 off aswell,the screens on the touch probably wouldnt be as durable as the normal ones anyways would they?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,262 ✭✭✭Farrell

what model was it?

It was a hp, which was on sale, was £539.
    Also Toshiba satellite 8gb 1tb i5400m at £479, windows 8 on both,
    Office was additional £89, is this correct, you buy laptop & then office afterwards?

• Registered Users Posts: 859 ✭✭✭jomoloney

sorry not wishing to hijack but small query

I have 1 same as the link except it has the i5 -3210M processor

I find it just great , now on the look out for a second one

need speed for data de coding more so that memory

would the 1 on the link be slower than my present 1

happy new year

Farrell wrote: »
    It was a hp, which was on sale, was £539.
    Also Toshiba satellite 8gb 1tb i5400m at £479, windows 8 on both,
    Office was additional £89, is this correct, you buy laptop & then office afterwards?

Yeah I think that's the way Microsoft has moved.you have to install office after you buy the laptop.I think there are deals around with office pre-installed if you shop around.

Yeah ill go for that I think seen as its 200 off aswell,the screens on the touch probably wouldnt be as durable as the normal ones anyways would they?

It wouldn't really be a case if them not being durable,its just a case of what you are used to,touch or mouse or touch pad.I am well used to the touch system on my tablets,but I prefer the touch pad on my laptop.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭bbam

Its a common problem..
    I was passing time a few years ago and I think it was Curries I went into.. ANyhow I got talking to a sales man and he was trying to flog me the latest AMD processor.. When I asked about Pentium processors his reply stunned me !!
    "AMD is just a brand name Intel use to sell processors cheap, after all they're all made in the same factory, just branded differently"

I set him straight there and then...

Sales men in shops want to shift units, they will say anything to do it..

Intel are the leaders in processor development and manufacture, AMD while a close second, are exactly that - second place. Personally I'd buy nothing but an Intel processor.

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭CM24

Hey, I'm quite a noob when it comes to buying Laptops. After researching for a while, I decided to go for that HP Pavilion 15-n096ea Laptop recommended above. Just wondering if there's anything I should purchase along with it? Microsoft Office I assume. What about an Anti-Virus program? Are the free ones available online any use or would I want Norton/McAfee or one of them? I don't intend to use the laptop for playing games. Just work and social media really.

CM24 wrote: »
    Hey, I'm quite a noob when it comes to buying Laptops. After researching for a while, I decided to go for that HP Pavilion 15-n096ea Laptop recommended above. Just wondering if there's anything I should purchase along with it? Microsoft Office I assume. What about an Anti-Virus program? Are the free ones available online any use or would I want Norton/McAfee or one of them? I don't intend to use the laptop for playing games. Just work and social media really.

I wouldn't attempt to go online without some anti virus installed on my laptop.personally I use nortons, I,m not even too sure how much it is it is tbh, I have it on auto renewel every year, but you will definitely need an anti virus programme. I wouldn't touch one of the free ones, wouldn't trust them. if you feel you will use Microsoft office,get it. most other things will be available in the app store.

• Registered Users Posts: 48 eoin91

I have used free anti virus for years, Avira and Avast and have never had a problem. The only downside from these two and the reason I switched is they push their premium products with ad's, but other then the ad's the quality of the product is still perfect.

Recently though I have been using Microsoft Security Essentials. It's free and if your like the previous poster and have for an unexplained mistrust in free anti virus, then surly the Microsoft name can negate this fact.

To be honest, if your smart on the internet and your not clicking every link, chances are you won't even need an anti virus, its more a fail safe.

With regards office, if you need it, get it. Otherwise, it can be a bit costly, 120 euro I think. If you only need it for one off situations, your probably better looking into Google docs or one of the free office competitors such as LibreOffice or Open office. None of these are as advance as Microsoft Office, and may take a bit of learning, like any new piece of software will, but they are free and from my experience, the advance features and abilities office offers are not needed or used by 90% of people.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,522 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

Norton AV is a waste of money.I have been using free one's for the last few years without any problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭CM24

Cheers guys. Collecting the laptop tomorrow. I'll go with the the free anti-virus and Office programs for now and see how I get on. I don't plan on visiting any dodgy websites so hopefully will be fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭eldamo

Someone please pick holes in this for me or the credit card will be whipped out
    http://www.saveonlaptops.co.uk/MSI-CX61-CX61_2OD-275UK_1498459.html

• Registered Users Posts: 48 eoin91

eldamo wrote: »
    Someone please pick holes in this for me or the credit card will be whipped out
    http://www.saveonlaptops.co.uk/MSI-CX61-CX61_2OD-275UK_1498459.html

Emm no SSD, short battery life, kind of big chassis.
    But at the same time the specs that are there are really good, full HD screen, 8GB of ram, i7, 640m, lots of ports and 1GBit ethernet port.

So yeah if those con's don't bother you and this is more of a desktop replacement/only computer for you and you need the power for gaming then its a good laptop for the price as the performance should be pretty good.

CM24 wrote: »
    Cheers guys. Collecting the laptop tomorrow. I'll go with the the free anti-virus and Office programs for now and see how I get on. I don't plan on visiting any dodgy websites so hopefully will be fine.

Pc world are doing a deal at the moment for Microsoft office,80 euro,when you buy any windows 8 laptop from them.

Bought the HP Pavillion in white 8gb ram i5 processor,very happy with it got it for 488 in Pc World with 2 months free insurance off them.

• Advertisement

Bought the HP Pavillion in white 8gb ram i5 processor,very happy with it got it for 488 in Pc World with 2 months free insurance off them.

Great deal you got there.

Great deal you got there.

Was buying a dishwasher with it but he wouldnt discount a thing so left the dishwasher 210 off the laptop was fair though,really tried pushing the anti virus on mr didnt bother with it as theres 2 months norton free on it and im not using it for anything other than light browsing facebook and studying the racing thats it

I can cancel the insurance of 10e a month after 2 months but I might keep it and once ya pay 10 months its covered for the next 3 years just bring it in an they have to give you a replacement,laptop wont last two years so might keep paying it is it worth it yeah?

Was buying a dishwasher with it but he wouldnt discount a thing so left the dishwasher 210 off the laptop was fair though,really tried pushing the anti virus on mr didnt bother with it as theres 2 months norton free on it and im not using it for anything other than light browsing facebook and studying the racing thats it

I can cancel the insurance of 10e a month after 2 months but I might keep it and once ya pay 10 months its covered for the next 3 years just bring it in an they have to give you a replacement,laptop wont last two years so might keep paying it is it worth it yeah?

Your laptop should certainly last 2 years and way beyond! I,m using my HP pavilion dv6 for the last 3 years,and I mean seriously heavy usage,and its still going as strong as day 1.

http://www.pcworld.ie/Product/ACER-Aspire-E1570-156-Laptop/316570/1.8

Thought this was a reasonable deal...

Intel® Core™ i3-3217U processor
    Windows 8
    Memory: 8 GB
    Hard drive: 1 TB
    €439

When you see what I'm replacing :o
    IBM T30
    Early generation Pentium 1.2mHz
    512mb ram
    150GB HD
    13 inch screen
    2* USB 1 ports (power burned out in them three weeks ago)

• Registered Users Posts: 393 ✭✭fozz10

http://shop.lenovo.com/ie/en/laptops/ideapad/s-series/s410p/?sb=:00000037:00001D27: what do people think of this? thinking of buying it in a week or so. Ill be using it for college for the next 3 years doing programming. I cant stretch my budget much more.

bbam wrote: »
    http://www.pcworld.ie/Product/ACER-Aspire-E1570-156-Laptop/316570/1.8

Thought this was a reasonable deal...

Intel® Core™ i3-3217U processor
    Windows 8
    Memory: 8 GB
    Hard drive: 1 TB
    €439

When you see what I'm replacing :o
    IBM T30
    Early generation Pentium 1.2mHz
    512mb ram
    150GB HD
    13 inch screen
    2* USB 1 ports (power burned out in them three weeks ago)

Spec if ok other than the basic graphics UMA. In 2 or 3 years you might struggle to get drivers for something like that. I'd like to see it first, ACER didn't impress me with the build quality in the past.

Big upgrade for you though :)

fozz10 wrote: »
    http://shop.lenovo.com/ie/en/laptops/ideapad/s-series/s410p/?sb=:00000037:00001D27: what do people think of this? thinking of buying it in a week or so. Ill be using it for college for the next 3 years doing programming. I cant stretch my budget much more.

How much is that? Where are you pricing it. I like the ideapads, good keyboard for coding. I don't think its backlit though. I might be interested in that myself.

beauf wrote: »
    Spec if ok other than the basic graphics UMA. In 2 or 3 years you might struggle to get drivers for something like that. I'd like to see it first, ACER didn't impress me with the build quality in the past.

Big upgrade for you though :)

In fairness it's not the main laptop I'm replacing, it's an even older one. But it still runs and I use Photoshop 5 on it , with nothing else running.

• Registered Users Posts: 48 spanx

fozz10 wrote: »

Yes, do you know how much this is?

I was looking at Asus X550CC-XO071H 15.6-inch Laptop (Intel Core i5-3337U 1.8GHz Processor, 8GB DDR3, 1TB HDD, DVD-RW, NVIDIA GeForce GT 720M, Windows 8) , which is similar spec (if Tech Hypermart are to be believed) apart from RAM, but I'd prefer a 14" screen.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 393 ✭✭fozz10

spanx wrote: »
    Yes, do you know how much this is?

I was looking at Asus X550CC-XO071H 15.6-inch Laptop (Intel Core i5-3337U 1.8GHz Processor, 8GB DDR3, 1TB HDD, DVD-RW, NVIDIA GeForce GT 720M, Windows 8) , which is similar spec (if Tech Hypermart are to be believed) apart from RAM, but I'd prefer a 14" screen.
    E569 euro for the lenovo. newer i5 too i think.

Advertisement