Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Connolly suburban entrance

Options
  • 20-12-2013 3:33pm

There's some work going on at the old suburban entrance in Connolly at the moment. The shutters are up so I got a rare glimpse inside!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,987 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

maybe they have finaly saw sense and are going to reopen it?

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,760 ✭✭✭BowWow

Passed this yesterday. There was a sign up for a motorbike shop?

Not much to see because I couldn't be too intrusive but here you go:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,575 ✭✭✭lord lucan

BowWow wrote: »
    Passed this yesterday. There was a sign up for a motorbike shop?

GP Motorcycles used to have a place in one of the arches under the station adjacent to the old suburban entrance. They closed a couple of years ago.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 6,524 Mod ✭✭✭✭dregin

We asked lads working on it months back and they said the entrance to the station was being re-opened.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,765 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

dregin wrote: »
    We asked lads working on it months back and they said the entrance to the station was being re-opened.

Only about eight years late.

Zero need for it to be manned now - few TVMs and Leap readers, and a sign telling people where the manned gates are.

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭CaptainFreedom

Given the 'dregs of society' that populate the area outside the entrance, I cant see re-opening being a great idea

• Registered Users Posts: 14,771 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

Given the 'dregs of society' that populate the area outside the entrance, I cant see re-opening being a great idea

its only 100 yards from the main entrance on the same street.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,295 ✭✭✭n97 mini

loyatemu wrote: »
    its only 100 yards from the main entrance on the same street.

Less. It's closer to 50.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,142 ✭✭✭highdef

Both wrong.....it's around 150 yards. BTW, who uses yards as a measurement these days???? Bar loyatemu and n97 mini, of course??? I suppose imperial is still used on the railways so I have to accept defeat there :P

Still, it's not much of a distance either way but if helps anyone coming from areas east of Connolly. When I was a child, I would never pass through the main station, always through the suburban entrance/exit. I guess if they install escalators where the stairs where in the old area, it could prove a lot more convenient for elderly and lazy people of which this country has way too many of......lazy people, not elderly!!!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,528 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

It serves as testament to his long it's been since I regularly took a train.
    That was in the mid to late 90s and that entrance was open!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,771 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

highdef wrote: »
    Both wrong.....it's around 150 yards. BTW, who uses yards as a measurement these days???? Bar loyatemu and n97 mini, of course??? I suppose imperial is still used on the railways so I have to accept defeat there :P

if you want to stick with the railway lingo - its about 6 chains

• Registered Users Posts: 6,039 ✭✭✭Hilly Bill

Its being done up as an emergency exit.

Boo.

Hilly Bill wrote: »
    Its being done up as an emergency exit.

Are ya sure about this? They really are going to an awful lot of effort just for an emergency exit. With the Irish Water offices opening directly across the road, I would have thought there would be quite a bit of demand for it.

Are ya sure about this? They really are going to an awful lot of effort just for an emergency exit. With the Irish Water offices opening directly across the road, I would have thought there would be quite a bit of demand for it.

Yes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭RGDATA!

where is this? often through Connolly but can't think where ye're talking about

RGDATA! wrote: »
    where is this? often through Connolly but can't think where ye're talking about

Its down by the shop thats down the steps leading to Platforms 6 and 7.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,844 ✭✭✭Banjoxed

Make the feckers walk the long way round!

• Advertisement

Banjoxed wrote: »
    Make the feckers walk the long way round!

I don't care about them. More interested in the fact that it takes 5/6 minutes to get to the platform that's ~15 metres from my desk :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,865 ✭✭✭✭January

If people were to enter/exit from the suburban entrance where does it leave them on the platforms?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 879 ✭✭✭TheBandicoot

There's a door in the underpass next to the shop, that's where. You know when you are leaving platform 6/7 and after descending the ramp you need to turn left, past the shop and up the stairs? If you instead carry straight on there is a (currently locked)door that leads to the staircase to the entrance.

wasn't their another exit where you went straight in a door from the street go straight up some stairs and you came out at platform 4? at the end it became a temperory staircase before it seem to be no more, anyone remember this entrance or am i mixing it up with another entrance?

wasn't their another exit where you went straight in a door from the street go straight up some stairs and you came out at platform 4? at the end it became a temperory staircase before it seem to be no more, anyone remember this entrance or am i mixing it up with another entrance?

Think we're talking about the same one.

Think we're talking about the same one.
    i had thought that all right, but i suppose with all the refurbishing/remodeling of connolly that entrance is all very different now

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,865 ✭✭✭✭January

It's no longer used as an entrance.

I don't care about them. More interested in the fact that it takes 5/6 minutes to get to the platform that's ~15 metres from my desk :)

Is that the place that has a sign saying that they are hiring?

Haha, I actually had to go check, but yes - that sign's in our window :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,275 ✭✭✭cgcsb

Karsini wrote: »

If you look across the other side of the street on that streetview map, you can see the gardaí addressing a disturbance at the booze2go

Advertisement