Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Accords budget cut by goverment....why are they being given money??

Options
13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

That must seriously mess with students' heads.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

Sarky wrote: »
    That must seriously mess with students' heads.

...only if she now and again changes to red.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

Bannasidhe wrote: »
    I use Green. :D

Hippy.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 19,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bannasidhe

Nodin wrote: »
    ...only if she now and again changes to red.

Burgundy. :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 17,878 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

I hope this particular resurrection of a thread wont clash with anyone's beliefs. Listening to the News I thought it was been cut completely but still means they will be getting 1.5 million per year. How exactly will thy be allowed to deal with a gay couple from next month?

http://www.thejournal.ie/accord-2099185-May2015/
    CATHOLIC MARRIAGE COUNSELLING organisation Accord is to lose some of its state funding – but Tusla claims it has nothing to do with the upcoming marriage referendum.
    The organisation, which received €1.9 million from Tusla last year, is to lose €378,000 of that this year.
    Speaking to the Irish Catholic, Bishop of Elphin Dr Kevin Doran questioned whether the move is “part of a wider policy of the Government” to withdraw funding from Catholic agencies, something Tusla denies strongly.
    The Irish Catholic linked the withdrawal of funding with the upcoming referendum on marriage, claiming that the move “gives weight to fears” that agencies which do not support the “government agenda on the redefinition of marriage will be starved of funding”.
    ‘Curious timing’
    Speaking on Newstalk Breakfast Accord President Bishop Denis Nulty also said he thought the timing of the cuts was “curious”. He said he received a letter about the funding decision on 7 May.

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,594 ✭✭✭oldrnwisr

silverharp wrote: »
    I hope this particular resurrection of a thread wont clash with anyone's beliefs. Listening to the News I thought it was been cut completely but still means they will be getting 1.5 million per year. How exactly will thy be allowed to deal with a gay couple from next month?

This is a bit of a non-story really. Barnardos, which is advocating a Yes vote has also had their funding cut by Tusla. So it's really just a case of Kevin Doran and The Irish Catholic talking out through their collective arses. As usual.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,536 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

If they want 'catholic services for a catholic people' they could campaign for a church tax, or just, y'know, have a collection...

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,232 ✭✭✭Brian Shanahan

silverharp wrote: »

I was listening to the head of Tusla on Morning Ireland the other day defending the decision, and aside from one early mess up he got his point across brilliantly. Essentially the body is €18m in the hole from last year and needs to prioritise their resources carefully. He came out and said that while Tusla would love to be able to finance marriage preparation courses, doing stuff like funding fostering and services for troubled families ranked far higher.

Made Accord look like the bunch of money grabbing ****s they are, really.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,536 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

When my future wife and I applied for permission to arrange our civil marriage, nobody offered us a taxpayer subsidised preparation or counselling service. How is that fair?

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

Advertisement