Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Opposition Stage Collective Dáil Walkout as Gov Guillotines Water Services Bill 2013

Options
12346»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 997 ✭✭✭Colm R

I don't get this whole issue with being over-employed. The vast majority of these people were council staff, and have no role for them in the council anymore. Hence the staff transfer to Irish Water. (This process is very common to outsourcing arrangements in the private sector and legally covered by TUPE).

However as an example, say Cavan has X staff maintaining its water, and Monaghan has Y. The amount of people required to maintain Irish Water infrastructure for both counties would probably be a number greater that X or Y, but probably much less than X+Y.

And thats where over time, the number of staff will have to be reduced with retirement and redundancy. However, it would be a very foolish move to offload all those staff (and their inherent local knowledge of the system) so quickly.

• Registered Users Posts: 691 ✭✭✭baddebt

Kaiser2000 wrote: »
    Unfortunately Kenny and his arrogant band of merry men will push it through regardless and then it'll be too late to change anything - "oh it'd cost to much to terminate contracts" etc

Anyone who thinks FG are ANY better than their predecessors really needs to wake up. The big loser here is the ordinary taxpayer/voter of course but when has it been any different?

Yep and when it goes tits up ...which its well on its way already , Kenny and the gestapo will simply blame the Trioka .

well they can fookin whistle for the money ,

• Registered Users Posts: 9,370 ✭✭✭Phoebas

Larbre34 wrote: »
    This is a real chance for people to act together and against whats going on at Govt level, and if the operation has no revenue, where can it go but to fail.
    It isn't really. There isn't any grassroots campaign of note against water charges. People might be pissed off about inefficiencies, but they also see the bigger picture.

Water charges, like the LPT, will have mass compliance.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,741 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Phoebas wrote: »
    It isn't really. There isn't any grassroots campaign of note against water charges. People might be pissed off about inefficiencies, but they also see the bigger picture.

Water charges, like the LPT, will have mass compliance.

The LPT was a different matter as the government simply announced they'd get Revenue to deduct at source from anyone who didn't cough up - therefore they were going to get their money anyway. I wouldn't mistake that for people happily paying up or agreeing with the idea!

Is the plan to (ab)use Revenue in the same manner for this?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭raymon

The opposition were right on this one by the looks of it.

The Dail walkout was a Fianna Fail stunt

The Irish Water fiasco is outrageous.

There is no link between the two.

Anytime I see a strike , go-home, tools down etc I always ask myself
    1) Was this the last day before a long weekend or holiday?
    2) Would the participants have a long commute and might want to "get on the road" now , especially to Cork and places?
    3) Have the participants been untrustworthy and cynical in the past ?

I am as outraged as anyone by Irish Water and am not looking forward to getting a water bill . Phil Hogan shouldn't be let outside the door. But lets remember that it was your Fianna Fail party that committed to setting up water charges and even named the company "Irish Water " when negotiating the surrender of our sovereignty.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,657 ✭✭✭creedp

raymon wrote: »
    But lets remember that it was your Fianna Fail party that committed to setting up water charges and even named the company "Irish Water " when negotiating the surrender of our sovereignty.

I know FG/Lab ar a pity really .. not having the courage or conviction to implement their own wonderful policies ... reduced to business as usual FF style .. its wearing thin at this stage to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,153 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

ESRI professor says unnecessary staff could cost Irish Water €2bn

Irish Water overstaffing will cost up to €2bn, says expert

This is an absolute farce. The opposition warned the government that Irish Water would be plagued with difficulties and mistakes if they rushed the legislation through the Dáil without proper debate.

The opposition were right on this one by the looks of it.

Yeah yeah three cheers for the opposition. :rolleyes:
    Except the opposition (i.e. your fianna fail party in particular) have nothing to crow about, because by the looks of it fine gael and labour are just creating another fecking quangoe where we get duplication of jobs, with no efficencies and a whole slew of problems with no fixes.

I suppose the fianna fail leader was in a good position to spot this, seeing as he was one of the people in charge of the creation of the biggest fiasco of this type to date, the HSE.

And you are right this whole Irish Water is turning into a farce and showing that fine gael and labour have learnt shag all from all the mistakes made by fianna fail/pds.

We have a new mega qangoe set up, which doesn't appear answerable to the people, the relevant minister is and will use it's semi independent status as a cop out to answer real questions or be held responsible, the management are connected insiders greasing each others holes, they are duplicating what is there already without making any necessary job movements or cutbacks, and they are spending without constraint.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,964 ✭✭✭For Reals

Apologies but I just don't get it. Who are we trying to impress?
    I'm talking about a new government coming in and continuing contracts etc. the brain child of a previous criminally incompetent administration. I know there are real concerns regarding lack of trust and or credit/loan issues with our European and international chums, but these are business people. They are not going to give us the silent treatment, especially if they can make a nice little earner on interest off us. These people do business with China so no moral concerns and Iceland didn't sink beneath the waves.
    My point is, I call bull**** anytime I hear some 'new' shower who got in on the promise of a fresh start cowering to financial concerns of private industry and carrying on under the, 'It was like that when we got here, it really was' and my personal fav, 'We must honour the contracts'.
    We're just voting for caretakers to look after the money men.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭dlouth15

For Reals wrote: »
    Apologies but I just don't get it. Who are we trying to impress?
    The Troika.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,224 ✭✭✭Going Forward

Phoebas wrote: »
    So its not a fact, its a prediction then.

Like night follows day.

• Advertisement
Advertisement