Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

opening day salmon in kerry

Options
  • 19-12-2013 12:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 660 ✭✭✭

whats my best option for the opening day of the season in kerry for salmon ?

i never really fish kerry apart from the inny and loch currane as my friend has a house below in waterville but i just want to get out dont really want to wait till feburary for the blackwater in cork

if there is water is it worth fishing the laune /flesk ? or go trolling around the lakes

any tips welcome

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 900 ✭✭✭danbrosnan

Killarney flesk for January 100 %

• Registered Users Posts: 660 ✭✭✭popsy09

danbrosnan wrote: »
    Killarney flesk for January 100 %

do ya fish it much ? i only fished it once before a good few years ago i was using worms but water was very low ,hopefully there is a bit of rain early in january i cant wait to get out

• Registered Users Posts: 882 ✭✭✭dazza161989

When is opening season for the laune??

When is opening season for the laune??

im sure its around the 12/14th of january , do ya fish the laune much ?? i never fished it and i must have drove right past it 100s of times dont make sense really to drive past it but i always do ha ha

popsy09 wrote: »
    im sure its around the 12/14th of january , do ya fish the laune much ?? i never fished it and i must have drove right past it 100s of times dont make sense really to drive past it but i always do ha ha

i fish it a fair bit for brown trout, my local river is the feale, do u know if its just the salmon season that starts den or is it trout also?? Im more of a trout angler.

• Advertisement

i fish it a fair bit for brown trout, my local river is the feale, do u know if its just the salmon season that starts den or is it trout also?? Im more of a trout angler.

no its only salmon and its the 17th january just checked , trout is around 15th feburary

no its only salmon and its the 17th january just checked , trout is around 15th feburary

cheers tanx for dat, feale is march 1st so dats gud news!

anywhere open in kerry for brown trout fishin now??

anywhere open in kerry for brown trout fishin now??

only stocked lakes id imagine , i remember talking to a lad on facbook who said he was fishing in a place called" eclipse ireland " and caught fish up to 3/4 lb all catch and release but would be abit of crack id imagine

http://www.google.ie/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&frm=1&source=web&cd=10&cad=rja&ved=0CF8QFjAJ&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.eclipseireland.com%2F&ei=9v61Uu6QEOuM7AbpnYD4Cw&usg=AFQjCNFZ0gkkBtS0S_7PdTbeP7aUztc2Wg

only stocked lakes id imagine , i remember talking to a lad on facbook who said he was fishing in a place called" eclipse ireland " and caught fish up to 3/4 lb all catch and release but would be abit of crack id imagine

http://www.google.ie/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&frm=1&source=web&cd=10&cad=rja&ved=0CF8QFjAJ&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.eclipseireland.com%2F&ei=9v61Uu6QEOuM7AbpnYD4Cw&usg=AFQjCNFZ0gkkBtS0S_7PdTbeP7aUztc2Wg

ya i know d place its a family centre in kenmare with fishing, shooting and equestrian. I prefer river fishing for wild brownies but better den nothin i suppose.

• Advertisement

ya i know d place its a family centre in kenmare with fishing, shooting and equestrian. I prefer river fishing for wild brownies but better den nothin i suppose.
    its says they have specimen trout id gladly catch a few of them and get a picture or two, stocked trout or not

i think ill ring them tmw myself see what they have to offer

its says they have specimen trout id gladly catch a few of them and get a picture or two, stocked trout or not

i think ill ring them tmw myself see what they have to offer

Yea it might be good youd never know, they may not b dpecimen this time of year tho they tend t get quite lean this time of the year.

How you get on with that daze fishing feale and places for browns?

Do you need to buy a license and stuff?? Do you ever get stopped by bailiffs??

Just outta interest????

How you get on with that daze fishing feale and places for browns?

Do you need to buy a license and stuff?? Do you ever get stopped by bailiffs??

Just outta interest????

hi dan,

The feale is quite good for browns, with vast variations in colour and texture. At the lower end of the feale where it is tidal they can often havd a silvery hue to them whereas they bcome more darker and golden the further you head up river.

You do not need a licence to fish for brown trout , but you must specifically target brown trout. If you acidentally hook a salmon or sea trout you must release it unharmed.

I have met bailiffs there and they are pretty nice guys to deal with i have found, then again i have a fishing license for salmon and sea trout.

hi dan,

The feale is quite good for browns, with vast variations in colour and texture. At the lower end of the feale where it is tidal they can often havd a silvery hue to them whereas they bcome more darker and golden the further you head up river.

You do not need a licence to fish for brown trout , but you must specifically target brown trout. If you acidentally hook a salmon or sea trout you must release it unharmed.

I have met bailiffs there and they are pretty nice guys to deal with i have found, then again i have a fishing license for salmon and sea trout.

That was what i was getting at, because i don't know if fishing on the laune for browns would ever pass.. i think there needs to be changes in the law because its getting very messy with regards as what is brown trout fishing…

A fishery officer told me you need to be fishing with mono as low as 4lb breaking strain for browns etc….

your dead right there is loads of different variations of browns and there a far underrated fish… they are a beautiful fish...

That was what i was getting at, because i don't know if fishing on the laune for browns would ever pass.. i think there needs to be changes in the law because its getting very messy with regards as what is brown trout fishing…

A fishery officer told me you need to be fishing with mono as low as 4lb breaking strain for browns etc….

your dead right there is loads of different variations of browns and there a far underrated fish… they are a beautiful fish...

i fish the laune regularly in the summer for browns, getting a day ticket from the shop in beaufort. 4lb is heavy in my eyes i use 3lb at the most with a #3 weight rod if possible, if not i use a five weight.

i fish the laune regularly in the summer for browns, getting a day ticket from the shop in beaufort. 4lb is heavy in my eyes i use 3lb at the most with a #3 weight rod if possible, if not i use a five weight.

What size would they get up?? i have had some crackers fishing for salmon on the laune…

What size would they get up?? i have had some crackers fishing for salmon on the laune…

I think the best that i have had on the laune was 1lb 4ozs on a dry fly, size 20 olive cdc f fly i think. PB was on the feale a brown trout of 3lb 1oz with a teal blue and silver fishing for sea trout.

Great stuff!!! The feale a great river, pity about the way people have treated down through the years….

Great stuff!!! The feale a great river, pity about the way people have treated down through the years….

yes i agree there was some scandalous poaching done there throughout the years , which along with the commercial pollution nearly decimated the fishing there. Ive heard some horror stories.

• Advertisement

yes i agree there was some scandalous poaching done there throughout the years , which along with the commercial pollution MOD SNIP nearly decimated the fishing there. Ive heard some horror stories.

Yes the pollution did a lot of damage and the poaching of course, but you can't kill them all, gotta keep positive..

Yes the pollution did a lot of damage and the poaching of course, but you can't kill them all, gotta keep positive..

Yes of course, in my opinion its recovering slowly but surely.

I not blowing my own trumpet ere but i was right first salmon of the year from kerry, caught in the Killarney Flesk by Ger o Shea from derrymore..

Picture on :

www.facebook.com/dinglepeninsulafishing

I not blowing my own trumpet ere but i was right first salmon of the year from kerry, caught in the Killarney Flesk by Ger o Shea from derrymore..

Picture on :

www.facebook.com/dinglepeninsulafishing

Everyone gets lucky at least once :-) :-) :-) !!! Lol

Everyone gets lucky at least once :-) :-) :-) !!! Lol

Great stuff , heading too currane tomorrow myself

I'm not one to preach now about tags and catch and release but if I was putting a pic online I would make sure the fish is tagged , or is it just not visible ??

Still no fresh fish from currane had a small kelt bout 4lb and I caught the first sea trout of the season :) my claim to fame for awile ha was about 1,5lb

Both returned

Still no fresh fish from currane had a small kelt bout 4lb and I caught the first sea trout of the season :) my claim to fame for awile ha was about 1,5lb

Both returned

congrats on the sea trout, and fair play for returning them......

Great stuff , heading too currane tomorrow myself

I'm not one to preach now about tags and catch and release but if I was putting a pic online I would make sure the fish is tagged , or is it just not visible ??

Look at the picture properly... There is a tag there...

Look at the picture properly... There is a tag there...

I can't see it ha. A few people said same too me why wasn't it tagged all the one really I was just wondering

• Advertisement

I can't see it ha. A few people said same too me why wasn't it tagged all the one really I was just wondering

It was tagged have a look at the inland ishery board picture on there website of the same fish, you can't see it in one of the pics but you can in the rest... Honestly do you think landers a highly reputable tackle shop would post up a pic of an un tagged fish?

Advertisement